Thread: Hamann Rims

Hamann Rims

Guys. I am looking for a little advice from those who have gone through this before. I've read the threads on tires and rims and seen the recommendation that you need upgraded suspension for 20" rims.

I am thinking of buying either Hamann 19" or 20" rims with Michelin tires. I have the stock suspension.

Hamann also has a a lowering package and threaded sport suspension package which I would get if recommended. Unfortunately the Hamann rep I spoke to here in Dubai is more for looks than substance and wasnt very helpful.

Any recommendations on rim size and Hamann suspension?

Cheers

Sean

RIM OPTIONS

STYLE 1

Wheel- / Tirecomb.:Combination A.7
    FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20
    with tires: FA 255/30 ZR 20 / RA 305/25 ZR 20

STYLE 2

Wheel- / Tirecomb.:Combination A.9
    with tires: FA 245/35 ZR 20 / RA 275/30 ZR 20

Combination B.9
    with tires: FA 245/35 ZR 20 / RA 285/30 ZR 20

Combination C.9
    with tires: FA 255/30 ZR 20 / RA 305/25 ZR 20

Wheel- / Tirecomb.:Combination A.10
    FA 8.5 J x 19 / RA 10.0 J x 19
    with tires: FA 245/40 ZR 19 / RA 275/35 ZR 19
    2002 Black/Black

I'd strongly advise against lowering the car.

Wheels are always very personal, and it's hard to really learn much from an array of differing opinions. So, my suggestion is just to go with what you like.

I generally favor simple designs for the Z8 that blend with the overall design of the car. I don't like "car jewelry", and if the wheel stands out on such a striking design as the Z8, I believe you failed in your selection. Again, that's just they way I approach design in general - less is more, and all elements must be in harmony. This is what brought me to the Z8 in the first place.

All that being said, I prefer Style 2 of the ones you posted. I believe I've seen them in silver before, and they seemed fairly fitting.
    thegunguy

Thanks Gunguy. Did you go with 19s or 20s and if 20s, did you change the suspension?

Sean
    2002 Black/Black

Having done stock 18s, and HRE 20s, I might recco the 19s as the best. As GunGuy said, do not lower with coil-overs or similar stiff suspension as it becomes a very rough ride and threatens the frame. I have gone to the Euro Alpina set up. Sway bars are very important for sure.

Ditto that, I would absolutely not lower the car. The aluminum frame of the Z8 needs all the protection it can get, I suggest the Alpina suspension, the BMW PP, Dinan Caster plates and swaybars and 19" lightweight rims.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thanks. Sounds like 19" is the way to go. I'm looking into how to get the Alpina suspension in Dubai and will follow up with Dinan online (unless someone has a contact to recommend).

Andrew - what is PP? (sorry, I love cars but I am too much a desk jockey )
    2002 Black/Black

Z8Mania
    You can go 20" and be fine. But I recommend as the others have the Alpina (euro) suspension and stiffer sway bars than stock (the Alpina uses the stock bars). Heres the thread. For what its worth, I really like the Alpina 20" wheels. I couldn't be happier with the setup. If you like the Hamann rims, so long as they physically fit, and they are not too heavy, you should be fine. I would avoid spacers but there might be those here who have used them with success. Also, I believe the Alpina suspension (euro version) lowers the front end of the car a very small amount but it does give you that lowered stance.

Read this:

http://bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=735

PP= performance package. Read this:
    http://bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=698

and this:
    http://bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=823

Id have this installed if you don't already have it.

Thanks again for the info. Do you all run on regular or run flat tires? I realize that there are pros & cons for each.

Cheers

Sean
    2002 Black/Black

Non-run flats for sure, The run flats are hard, stiff and heavy, all of which hurt the ride and transfer undue stress to the frame. Just get a "Mobility kit" to cary in the trunk.

Z8Mania
    Thats correct. If you can fit your wheels with them, the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tire is a great tire for any vehicle especially the Zed 8.

Great. Will do.

The PS2s will fit

I take it the mobility kit is just some punture seal and compressed air. Here in Dubai it would be suicide to breakdown on a road less traveled during the summer

SJK
    2002 Black/Black

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Thanks. Sounds like 19" is the way to go. I'm looking into how to get the Alpina suspension in Dubai and will follow up with Dinan online (unless someone has a contact to recommend).

Andrew - what is PP? (sorry, I love cars but I am too much a desk jockey )
    Sean,

Andrew is referring to the Performance Package (PP). In a nut shell, it's a shock tower brace installed on the top of the front shock strut towers under the bonnet to prevent deformation from heavy pot hole strikes, etc. Actually there is more to it than just the shock tower brace, but it all comes in the PP kit from BMW. There are many posts for it on this site.

Z8Mania
    The mobility kit is just that. Remember they recommend you change the sealant every few years.

Check out the frame forum about the PP. I recommend you do it.