Thread: Key won't turn

Z8 Novice

Key won't turn

I insert the key into the Z and it only moves 1 click then stops. Flashers don't work, so I am assuming that this may be battery related. Its on charger now. Is the battery the cause of the key not turning? Is it possible that its the battery in the key itself? The battery is the original...8 years old! Key batteries are original.

I can't jump it if the key won't move to position 2!

Thank you.

There have been a very few problems with the lock unit, but I have only heard of this three times in all these years, so my bet is the battery, but if it is eight years old don't be surprised if it can not hold a charge, so you may well have to replace it.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    There have been a very few problems with the lock unit, but I have only heard of this three times in all these years, so my bet is the battery, but if it is eight years old don't be surprised if it can not hold a charge, so you may well have to replace it.
    Or charge the key-battery (externally) ?

Under external power, the key might turn, or it could likely be a dead key. Leave it in the ignition under power for a while.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Could you have locked it with the steering wheel? Some cars allow you to lock the ignition this way. Try giving the steering wheel a yank while trying to turn the key.

Sport Button On
    My key would not turn also and it was a dead battery. As soon as I replaced the battery the key turned and the car started!

Z8 Novice
    Add us to the list. Had problems in the past with car refusing to start. This time, you put key in and there are no audible clicks and it will not allow you to turn key past first position. We replaced the battery, checked all associated fuses except fuse 107. Could someone tell me where fuse 107 is located?

Z8 Novice
    I had the exact same thing happen two years ago and didn't know what to do so I had it towed to a BMW dealer. They analyzed it and told me the laser surface on the key failed and I had to purchase a new key for $250. When I asked how often this happens they said it was rare but does happen from time to time as many of their models share same laser key system.

Do any of your other keys work?
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Z8 Novice
    Both keys will not work.

There have been a couple of instances of failed locks, one happened to Ron's balck car on the way home from Monterey in 08. He turned the car off to fill up with gas, and it wouldn't turn back on. Had to have it trailored 200 miles home, and then it needed a completely new ignition tumbler set.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.