Thread: Oregon 2010 - Day 3

Talking Oregon 2010 - Day 3

Waking up high on a volcano is wonderful, the air is so clear and fresh!

The day starts with the team packing the cars, and preparing for a fast run to the south east into the wide open empty spaces of Oregon. These roads are a drivers dream, they stretch on for miles, and you see very few cars or villages out there, though a couple of the locals did call the sheriffs out to look for a bunch of Porsches that had been reported overtaking them at insane speeds. Porsche drivers are like that you know!

The first strip gets us off the mountain, and onto our first high speed section where the cars broke into two groups, rabbits and otters. The last shot is the rabbits taking off under the watchful eye of Mount Hood.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

After a good first stint that saw several of the rabbits get to near redline in top we pulled into a little village for a quick break and a giggle brought on by the joy and excitement of our first free running.

The stop gave us some funny images, not least of which being the Daytona filling up at the local pump because it can't get much beyond 150 miles a on tank. From there it was back out onto the open road till the Deschutes River. There we did a quick photo stop before climbing back onto the high desert plateau to the restored desert ghost town of Shaniko. From there it was a fifty mile dash across more beautiful open range to Fossil for lunch.

Andrew Macpherson

Lunch in Fossil gave us a chance to put the tops up, and take some shelter from the sun, which by now had become pretty aggressive, and pushed the temps up into the mid nineties. The run from Fossil to over Sun River, our ultimate destination, started out with magnificent open vistas and wide sweeping roads that took us off the deserted high plateau, and back down into the more populated area around Bend and Redland, where we checked the cars into the hotel before piling into a bus for dinner, and a tour of the best brewery in town. The beer and food were both absolutely delicious, but I'll leave those pictures to the other wonderful photographers on the team!

Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Madness
    Postcard perfect all the way!

Great photos and stories. Enjoy
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Looks like you guys nailed it! Great trip, Great Pics...wish we could've made it this time.

Deschutes Brewery - Can you say, "Free Samples"

After a long and dusty day, we were welcomed by enthusiastic staff on a tour of the brewery, starting at the gift shop and sample room.

..More

Just as the other days, Day 3 did not disappoint either. Many great vistas, and one of the most remarkable things about Oregon is such varied terrain. Great mountain vistas to desert in just a 100 mile distance. Just fantastic. Good thing Ian and I did not have to post bail !

Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

I wonder if that group of Porsches posted bail?

When we stopped by the river for that group shot, a Sherif pulled up and said he had gotten numerous phone calls that a group of Porsches were driving through the area at high speed. I'm sure they were doing 155 to 175 MPH (depending if they had modified top speed limiters). Our group indicated the direction the Porsches went, and the Sherif told us he had notified the 4 surrounding counties, but that we "citizens" must not be the culprits. I think Andrew was preparing to make his escape up that tree.

Those Porsche drivers are such trouble makers.

New Unofficial Beer of the "Club"

After visiting the brewery, Mirror Pond is now the unofficial beer of the unofficial club (except for lisa who swears by twilight). After that, we searched out the elixer at every stop! Phil even carried a cooler in his trunk with an emergency supply as far as Napa...he still had a couple when he left for Monterey. Thanks Phil.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    As always the Z8 Club has made a good choice. It has been our preferred beer here in Oregon for many years. We are hot on the trail of a Topaz/Crema for Z8Mike we will keep eveyone up to date. Also someone asked me about a good horse ranch in Montana and the one I really liked was Mountain Sky Guest Ranch. Take care until we meet again. Edy and Erik

Ken telling the PoPo which way the porsche club went, photographers and a monkey in a tree...., an otter at Sun River Resort (run otter, run), Aaron telling us all about Deschutes brewing

The Deschutes Brewery, a very enthusiastic tour guide, and a beautiful sunset to end another great day.

I forget the name of our Deschutes tour guide, but I know his mustache was called Aaron...