Thread: New here and have a question

Z8 Novice

New here and have a question

First off, Hi Andrew! Long time no speak or see.

My name is Abe and while not new to BMW (I worked for BMW dealers for over 8 years), I'm new to this site.

I work for a different dealer now and looks like I'll be purchasing a silver/black 2002 Z8 for inventory shortly. I contacted some of the service techs I know regarding service history and everything checks out OK accept theirs an open recall that stills needs addressing and will find out more shortly.

My real question is, I found another 2002 Z8 with 8K miles in Portland, Oregon (Black on Red my favorite color combo) but the price seems REDICULOUSLY low and could quite possibly be a scam. The VIN is WBAEJ13422AH61410. The lady is asking $55K and used some excuse that it's either her house or the car and would rather give up the car. She wants me to go through www.googlecheckout.com for the transaction. I replied by stating I rather fly out there, have the local BMW dealer inspect the car (I'd pay for that) then if everything checks out OK, I'd hand her a certified cashiers check where we'd wait until the funds clear before taking the vehicle.

Does anyone know about this vehicle? Here's the link to it:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

If something looks too good to be true it usually is! I am always very wary of scams, and in this case almost any dealer would give her $70,000k for this car, and turn it around for $92,000 minimum. As it happens we do have a good Z8 & BMW family up in that area, and also a bunch of us are flying up there in two weeks for our big summer drive. You could also ask any friendly BMW dealer to check out the VIN for you, and see if it is actually registered to her.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Thanks Andrew!

Are those numbers accurate? I've spoken to several dealers and it seems that the Z8 market has gone up. If you remember Andrew, I used to work for Lotus of South Bay/South Bay BMW and before I left (2007) the market was going down on these cars but now that I'm back on the retail side of the business, I see that the values, not just for Z8's but virtually all used cars have gone up.

I've spoken to other BMW dealers that have stated they would buy the car from me at $98K. If you go on autotrader, cars.com, ebay or other venues where you can sell a car, the Z8's are priced well above $100K, some even in the mid $150K

Part of the reason all used car values have gone up is due to availability. There's hardly any cars out there and dealers are looking outside their state to buy. Even wholesellers are bidding high on trade-ins from dealers...

Regarding the Z8 in Portland, I figured it was a scam but seeing how many people are losing their homes due to the economy and what have you, I thought it was worth a shot asking.

Thanks,
    Abe

Those numbers were low, low ball, to illustrate how likely this is to be a scam. I sold a Z8 for $140k myself a few months ago, and I think for a good, clean 02 with 8,000 and all the correct goodies should be priced to sell at around $125.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    If you look on eBay, these photos that the seller in Portland has used are taken straight from an auction for a 2002 Z8 in La Jolla, Ca. TOTAL SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    If you look on eBay, these photos that the seller in Portland has used are taken straight from an auction for a 2002 Z8 in La Jolla, Ca. TOTAL SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you Marty & Andrew (where's the bowing emoticon when you need one?)

So now that I've disregarded that vehicle. Back to the one I am in the process of buying.

First off, let me say how wonderful this site is for true BMW Z8 owners, I've read up immensely on what to look out for and what's needed.

The car I'm purchasing is in Scottsdale:
    http://www.motorsportsofscottsdale.c...hp?auto_id=275

I had my buddies at South Bay BMW run a history report and check for any open recalls/campaigns and it looks like it will need to be re-programmed.

Assuming the struts are ok and there is no damage, I take it the census is to have the Performance Package done at a BMW dealer, right?

The vehicle was originally purchased at Kelly BMW in Ohio then traded in at Toy Barn also in Ohio which happens to be a reputable used car dealer dealing in high end performance cars.

It gets a little fuzzy after that. Car Fax indicates 4 owners but it seems that owner 3 & 4 is one in the same (motorsports of scottsdale) which from what I hear is highly reputable.

I'm in Southern California and can't look at it but the guy I'm going thru is good friends with the owner and has been for 20+ years and assures me everything checks out great as in, no paint work done, no dents, scratches, dings etc. Also, they vehicle comes with the Alpina wheels which I like. Car has 12,059 miles and I can't wait for it to arrive.

If I missed something, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks again,
    Abe

The only thing with the Alpina rims is they are meant to be paired with the considerably more compliant Alpina suspension, so there is an increased danger of this car having or sustaining the shock tower damage you can read about here. Other than that it looks great!
    Andrew Macpherson

Hey, Abe. I remember you being talked of in high regard over on the Lotus boards back when I had a 2006 Exige. Glad to have you here. You'll find no better resource for a single model anywhere. Best of luck with your purchase.
    thegunguy

Hi Abe,
    I have owned three Z8's over the years and all I can tell you is the following; I would NEVER buy a Z8 without YOU inspecting it if you are an expert in these cars or hiring an expert to go and look at the car for you. I recently looked at a stratus grey/black 8,000 mile 2002 Z8 for a friend of mine here in L.A. The car was a one owner car with perfect records through BMW "which I also ran through South Bay BMW" and a clean car fax. When I went to look at the car, it had fogging headlights, slight delamination of the dash board, and the engine hood had had paint work. I have a paint meter where I can read the thickness of the paint. Although I could visually tell it had had paintwork, the meter was reading too high, so that confirmed it. However, the MAJOR problem with the car was the right front shock tower. It looked only slightly domed to me, but when I shut the engine hood, the seam was uniform on the left side between the engine hood and the fender but it narrowed on the right side as you went from the windshield towards the headlight. By the time you got to the headlight, the two panels were almost touching. I was interested in buying this car for myself when it was back East but did not want to travel that far to look at the car. The dealer back there said the car was fine. Well guess what? It was far from fine. The car was just not "crisp" as you would expect a one owner, 8,000 mile car to be. But, the most important thing was the fact that, in my opinion, the car had "the damage." If you spend a bunch of money to get a Z8, you want to be SURE there are no expensive surprises waiting for you!
    P.S. Someone in Santa Monica bought it after the same dealer back East said the car was fine. I was kind to the owner when I looked at it but pointed out the items I found wrong with the car. He ended up selling it and now it is up for sale again in Salt Lake City, Ut.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8 Madness
    Hi Abe,

Welcome and best of luck with finding the right Z8 (hopefully the one you're looking at now). I would take what Marty says seriously. A one day trip to check things out is a negligible investment.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Hey, Abe. I remember you being talked of in high regard over on the Lotus boards back when I had a 2006 Exige. Glad to have you here. You'll find no better resource for a single model anywhere. Best of luck with your purchase.
    Thanks, I actually ended up working for Lotus Cars USA for 2 years and it was the best 2 years of my 15 year automotive career. I'm now at Newport European in charge of Lotus, Spyker and high end pre-owned exotics but not the Rolls-Royce.

I do miss my Lotuses too, they were by far the most fun track car I owned, but happily I had my fill, logging over thirty track days between the two. I would dearly love a 2/11 but this recession has put a big crimp in the toy budget, and the since the Z8 is my true love, everything else goes to keep it!

As you can see we have a pretty useful forum here for the Z8, and some really knowledgable members too. If you do find yourself with a Z8 to sell we also move a lot of cars overseas from the board, and it is free to advertise.
    Andrew Macpherson

Say hi to Kevin Smith for me. We go back along ways.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8Mania
    Great advice and welcome!

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    Say hi to Kevin Smith for me. We go back along ways.
    Marty, what's your last name? Kevin is curious now

Just tell him Marty the car broker here in L.A. He'll know.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8 Novice

The Car Arrived!!!

Just as I was pulling into work, Reliable was unloading the vehicle and EVERYONE in our dealership (all 5 of us ) including the porter was at awe of the vehicle.

Everything looks fine except it has 2-small nicks at the bottom of the rear-left hard top and at the nose of the car underneath the roundel emblem, it has a small crack, almost stress fracture-esq. I don't know whether to paint it or leave as is. I'm leaning towards leave as is. from 10 feet away, it is not noticeable however, once within 5 feet it is.

The car will be leaving to Crevier BMW for an open campaign (needs reprogramming) then to our service department for smog & safety. I've attached a couple of photos of the minor damage and a few more ofthe vehicle. I'd like your opinions on what I should do.

The car comes with:
    • Hard Top
    • Hard Top Cover
    • Hard Top Stand
    • Bag for Stand
    • BMW Car Cover
    • Books
    • 1-Key although I'll probably order another
    PS-Camera phone used so excuse the poor quality

Thanks,
    Abe

Abe,
    I sure hope you got alot more stuff that you listed! You are missing two thirds of the items the car originally came with if your list is all you have.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

I would trust Marty's opinion on what to do with the nose, but I would personally paint/repair it, and then have the front and vulnerable side parts of the car covered with 3M. The guys at Spectrum Collision are very good at Z8 Repairs, my contact there is Ed Cobett, 949 597 8200, 20 McLaren, Irvine CA 92618
    Andrew Macpherson

I would definately have it fixed. It is very apparent and right in your face. Make sure when you get it fixed that they cover the VIN tag on the inside part of the bumper shell before respraying it so as not to paint over or get overspray on it.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8 Novice
    Marty, Kevin says hi and to tell you when are you going to broker a RR-Ghost for us?

I was surprised to see the Ghost faired rather poorly in this months MotorTrend road test against the Bentley and the AM Rapide, it came third of the three, with the Bently coming out on top. Not a good showing for BMW, but it really shows how impressive the VW Phaeton platform is, still the top of its class after almost a decade!
    Andrew Macpherson

Tell Kevin if and when I have a buyer, he is the first guy I am going to call.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor