View Poll Results: which should I get?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • polished ceramic

9 64.29%
  • silver paint

5 35.71%

Thread: polished or painted silver rims?

polished or painted silver rims?

Which should I get: silver or polished ceramic for a silver/black Z8?

http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/997-...che-997-a.html

Z8Mania
    Very nice wheels. I voted for the polished ceramic.

Super nice looking (and weighing) wheels. I'd say polished on a black car.

I like polished for the wheel, but not a fan for the Z8.
    thegunguy

Z8 Madness
    Polished and with those wheels, I would strongly recommend upgrading the breaks.
    62050 - Z8

Quote Originally Posted by redz8 View Post
    Polished and with those wheel, I would strongly recommend upgrading the breaks.
    Actually, the causality is I'm upgrading the brakes, so need bigger wheels. These wheels are made by the motorsport division of BBS in Germany and are basically a 5 bolt version of their wheels for GT racing. Here's a picture of the polished wheels on a silver car:

The polished may look nice but agree with thegunguy that difficult to say whether they would continue to look exceptional (exceptional as the Z8 IS). I like a little bit of polished / chrome to accent the door, mirror and side grill but too much can be distracting and overstated on a silver car and in polished version, may be overstated on the Z8, IMHO. The 5er you posted above is a much more understated design than the Z8 so, aesthetically, the extra bling spiffys up the look but on a Z8, maybe not the full polished look. Too bad the titanium does not have polished rim (or maybe you can get the rim polished and leave the center spokes titanium silver?).

However, just as Macfly did when upgrading brakes, he went with Silver calipers and on his silver/black and IMHO, Silver calipers are best or maybe gloss black calipers on a Silver/Black Z8. I have red calipers on my Silver/ Red but that was only because I already had red on the car and it compliments well. But as most of us agree.... get what YOU like as it is truly ... "in the eye of the beholder" and it is your car -- so if you like it, that is all that really matters.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Z8Mania
    Unfortunately Jeff you just proved the point on where BMW styling is going wrong as thats a 3er not a 5. Minor point here but when the aficionados of the marque make mistakes between models you really have a problem. So much for trying to distinguish between the different models. I do agree with your points on the wheels but I assume ZMates has already made the choice on the wheel.

Interestingly, that's the only thing I liked about Bangle's philosophy - model distinction. While the new and emerging models are looking much better under van Hooydonk's direction, they are definitely going back to the 'sausage in different lengths' approach, making it difficult to distinguish at times.
    thegunguy

I'd take pretty and similar sausages to ugly and different ones any day!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Unfortunately Jeff you just proved the point on where BMW styling is going wrong as thats a 3er not a 5.
    My wife said she couldn't tell the difference between a Z3 and a Z8 until I parked next to one in the garage at work and called her down for a demo (she works in the same company). After that she said I shouldn't park next to the Z3 because I was humiliating the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    I do agree with your points on the wheels but I assume ZMates has already made the choice on the wheel.
    I really can't decide. I never thought I would even think about chrome wheels (er, I mean polished ceramic), but...

1) the chrome matches the other accents on the car, whereas the silver paint doesn't
    2) the wheels are visually pretty "airy"--i.e. the spokes are thin--so the shinyness isn't so in your face.

I was thinking about a medium solution of getting the chrome wheels and painting the spokes. Anyway, surprised that the voting is pretty lopsided in favor of the chrome.

I guess I'll chime in here as I've been through many wheels on the Z8 at this point. I voted ceramic because I think if you going to go that way do it big and bad, and bling the things out to the max! I don't hate the rims but they look kind of like a kids drawing of a shamrock, and are not as in keeping with the cars classic lines as some. Wheels are so hard to find for the Z8, and honestly I still haven't seen a set that I absolutely love on our cars.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I don't hate the rims but they look kind of like a kids drawing of a shamrock, and are not as in keeping with the cars classic lines as some.
    I'm in love with the weight, but the looks will do. I agree the 7 y spoke wheels look better than 5 y.

Z8Mania
    Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Interestingly, that's the only thing I liked about Bangle's philosophy - model distinction. While the new and emerging models are looking much better under van Hooydonk's direction, they are definitely going back to the 'sausage in different lengths' approach, making it difficult to distinguish at times.
    I agree but I think the confusion up there was with the current - E90- 3 series- which is a Bangle credit.

I think BMW has to really get its game in gear because the competition is putting out a pretty compelling product.

I'll say, with even Kia & Hyundai getting their styling together BMW really need to pull out a strong lead. I really like this pillarless coupe, but Audi have already shown one that looks almost the same, only maybe even better?

Andrew Macpherson

I think it would be eaaier for a wheel repair shop to...

Quote Originally Posted by ZMates View Post
    1) the chrome matches the other accents on the car, whereas the silver paint doesn't
    2) the wheels are visually pretty "airy"--i.e. the spokes are thin--so the shinyness isn't so in your face.
    polish the rim lip and leave the spokes painted as compared to paint the spokes on a chrome wheel. Personally , I think this combo for this wheel would look best on your Silver Z8 out of the possibilities for this wheel.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I'll say, with even Kia & Hyundai getting their styling together BMW really need to pull out a strong lead. I really like this pillarless coupe, but Audi have already shown one that looks almost the same, only maybe even better?
    Not sure if you saw, but BMW greenlighted the Gran Coupe for production as a 6 Series sedan.

To me, that Audi looks quite horrid. It's as if there was a different designer assigned to each major panel.
    thegunguy