Thread: Extended Warranty

LLZ8

Extended Warranty

Has anyone purchased an extended warranty for their Z8? Rallye BMW will sell me a policy from Fidelity Warranty Services. It is $2533 for 3 years, 36 months, $3,983 for 6 years, 60 months.

Larry
    2001/Silver/Red-Black

DSC Off
    I looked into this a while back...most companies I contacted wouldn't offer extended coverage on a Z8. I'd be sure to look at what they cover specifically. Most of the bad stuff Z8s are known to experience won't be covered (bad radio, fogged headlamps, leaky mirrors, etc.). Mechanically (motor/engine), the cars seem bulletproof. Its the little PIA stuff that grates. The major stuff (which is what your policy will cover)...is rare, if unheard of (at least on this board).

LLZ8
    The coverage seems pretty comprehensive but you are correct that it mainly covers mechanical issues, not normal wear and tear or cosmetics (body panels, etc.)
    What can be done about foggy headlght lenses?

Larry
    2001/Silver/Red-Black

Larry,

If you are the original owner, BMW may replace the headlights under what they call a Goodwill Warranty. In other words, they are NOT obligated to do anything BUT they respect your purchase and want to please you. If you are not the original owner, they may do the same-they may not. It is worth a try. Do not be surprised if they offer to provide the labor but ask you to pay for the lights or vise versa.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Extended warranties can be good, but the guy selling them typically knows nothing on actual coverage. He's just selling someone else's paper. Then you're waiting forever for the company to send you a check as many of them require you to file for reimbursement after the repairs are done and you're out of pocket. Other than the manufacturer ones, like CPO, I avoid.

Send a PM to Mollyshark on the board. She does work with all the warranty companies. She likely knows who's naughty and nice.
    thegunguy

LLZ8
    Scott
    I am not the original owner. Just got my Z8 a month ago.

Larry
    2001/Silver/Red-Black

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I had an extended warranty on my 2003 996 turbo through Easy Care. I think they are located in Georgia. I bought it through the dealer when I bought the car from them. The factory warranty had expired. In January, the rear spoiler would only go up on one side. I took the car to another Porsche dealer and they called Easy Care. Easy Care had someone come out the next day and look at the car and approved the repair. It came to a bit over $2,500 parts and labor and Easy Care paid the dealer directly. When I bought my 997 turbo in May, I cashed in the unused portion of the warranty and received a check for $1,250 from Easy Care. The original cost was $2,150, so I made out on this one. I think with the complexities of todays cars, extended warranties are a must, but I agree with Rifle that one through the manufacturer is always best.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe