Thread: Do I have a "Lemon"?

Sport Button On

Question Do I have a "Lemon"?

I am the original owner of an 8500 mile, 2002 Z-8. It takes a lot of loving.

The top was replaced (covered by warranty)
    The Navigator/Radio/Telephone unit was replaced twice (once under warranty).
    Car had a water leak. Gasket on passenger side replaced.
    A/C switch replaced twice.
    Lock on glove compartment and console replaced.
    Driver seat back replaced and still does not fit well. Hooks keep breaking off. It is now velcroed on.

Approximately $14,000 spent to date (including scheduled service and phone upgrade).

Now my left window will not go down or even drop 1/2 inch to close and open door.

Am I just lucking or do these cars take a lot of loving?

Regards,
    ISquared

The window not going down is a new one one me, but all the others are 'normal' known issues, however you have been really unlucky to have had them all! Based on my own knowledge from owning four different Z8's, and what I've read here...

The top was replaced (covered by warranty)
    I've heard of one or two others being replaced due to owners not realizing their strings had broken, and the mechanism 'sicssoring' the fabric. Known issue but rare.

The Navigator/Radio/Telephone unit was replaced twice (once under warranty).
    The radio unit in the Z8 is a real PoS. Very common fault, but so far I haven't had this.

Car had a water leak. Gasket on passenger side replaced.
    I only know of one other car that had this issue, and it was traced back to an incorrectly installed replacement top pinching the drainage tube. Very rare issue.

A/C switch replaced twice.
    I doubt it was really broken, the heat/cold/AC switch has a very glitchy/temperamental response, but if you turn it to full heat for 5 secs, then back to full cold it usually works. They all do that, and all mine did/do that too.

Lock on glove compartment and console replaced.
    Both the latch design and mechanism suck, and the replacement one will fail too. Try not to use it, and if you absolutely have to treat it very, very gently. Every car has this issue.

Driver seat back replaced and still does not fit well. Hooks keep breaking off. It is now velcroed on.
    This has been reported by several owners, seems the issue is the glue failing on the original hooks. I believe that the right kind of plastic bonding cement has fixed the issue for everyone else who has had it. So far I have not had this on any of my cars.

Any machine that seems to spend more time than being fixed than being ready to drive is a real drag on one's ability to be enthused about it, so I fully understand your sentiments. When it works the Z8 is the most wonderful open road, all day car I know, but it does suffer from a bunch of niggles and annoyances that reflect it's almost hand built nature. Bear with it, and hopefully you'll find the love again.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

The short answer is, yes, the Z8 requires some love!

If I had known about all the "issues" I probably wouldn't have bought one, but, once in love (like a marriage) you can't just turn it lose for a few fixable speed bumps. To me it's worth it. PITA yes. It's what classic car owners refer to as "Character" I suspect (never owned a vintage car, but wrenched on, and drove many in my youth). Mine is not a full time daily drive, so there is always plenty of time for her to visit the "doctor", for weeks if need be. In some sick way, learning about her issues, and attending to them, brings us closer. (Wow, what am I revealing about myself?)

Perhaps sick and twisted, or at the least slightly disfunctional, but I'm committed... or should be.

Enjoy the ride.

Z8 Madness
    Don't be surprised if your rearview mirror starts to leak fluid, the headlights begin to fog, the soft top start to peal, or your dash begin to delaminate.

Luckily, all of these have been successfully addressed
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Sport Button On
    It seems I am in good company. But still annoying. I am having fogged headlight issues and dash board leather issues; but left them out because the car runs.

ISquared.

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    And consider yourself lucky if your frame isn't bent.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Z8Mania
    No you don't have a lemon. What you have is an 8 year old bespoke hand built car.

Every car has issues. The ones that don't are either misrepresented as such or are too new to discover the issues.

Off the top of my head:

* radio replaced under warranty
    * new outer top fitted under warranty
    * new rear mirror (past warranty, cost me like 700 I think)
    * new transmission installed under warranty
    * new cd changer (past warranty cost to me, forget what it was)

Im not minimizing your expenditures but think of it like 14k/8 years = 1750/ year in maintenance before tires and oil changes etc. I dont think its too bad for an exotic car.

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Every car has issues. The ones that don't are either misrepresented as such or are too new to discover the issues.
    I agree 100%.

My meticulously maintained 2003 with only 130 miles on it had the foggy headlights (replaced) and leaking rearview mirror (to be repaired by myself one of these days).
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

I agree with Dirk -- if your frame is OK then life is good!! And, yes, they do take some loving, just like any beautiful woman does!!! ;-)

I will say that the radio issue is the Original radio is apparently the POS. In 2003, the Radio head unit was changed (looks the same but is called the business 4:3) but was changed to accommodate the DVD Nav unit that was also changed in 2003 (previous nav was CD based only). To my knowledge, the newer ones have not been plagued with the same issues for both. So, if yours was replaced twice, the second one may have been the newer version and why no more problems? Just guessing.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Replacing my head unit this week. Mine was cutting out/shutting off with a "pop" randomly. Holding down the power button for a few seconds would restart it. Replacing with a stock unit just because I really don't use it much and would rather have the stock look etc. Jeff, will they put in the DVD version? Does anything else need to be replaced?

Is this refurbished unit an option for you? I just happened to see it; no idea of who the seller is or the reliability.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120594415592

Thanks, had no Idea they were "on the open market". At least the one I'm paying too much for is probably the latest and greatest, and may never need to be done again (crossed fingers and toes).

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Replacing my head unit this week. Mine was cutting out/shutting off with a "pop" randomly. Holding down the power button for a few seconds would restart it. Replacing with a stock unit just because I really don't use it much and would rather have the stock look etc. Jeff, will they put in the DVD version? Does anything else need to be replaced?
    The nav module in the back will be different DVD vs CD, but I'm not sure that the music CD interface is any different. I'm guessing the amps are the same.

So, if yours is the new version, you'll need to at a minimum replace the nav module.

Are you sure you want to install another ticking bomb? Why not just get a better aftermarket model and store the original?
    thegunguy

ISquared, hope you get through the expenses, or bail and check out another model or brand. I do think Jerry is right though, all cars have their quirks and issues, although sounds like you have had more than a fair share.

Wow, I've had over 4k miles in 2 years and have only had one minor problem. I guess I should thank Mike Metzger for taking such good car of "my" car. I dont get to drive as much as some of you folks within the fair weather zones but I do my best during the mid spring to late November time frame with some good opportunities during the mid winter summer style weather periods.