Thread: Keeping stock parts for possible sale some day

DSC Off

Keeping stock parts for possible sale some day

Looking for a bit of advice.
    Some of you may have seen my posts the past few months.
    I bought Kevin Magenis's car which has been shipped to me and is in MD for about a month now. Drove it stock for 2 weeks. Had the performance package installed and put the Michelin PS2's on it. Now the car is having all of the Dinan upgrades installed by a big Dinan speed shop near me.
    I am a power freak having two other very powerful toys ( E39 Dinan S2 + some mods and an extremely modified 93' Mazda RX-7).
    Anyway, I want to keep the z8 looking stock from the exterior and wanted to keep all of the stock parts so that some day if I ever sold it I could sell it with the mod's but also offer that it could be returned to stock (which I thought may make it more valuable for a collector).
    Two days into the work, today I found out that the price for the velocity stacks (5.5k) is based upon you returning the stock ones back to Dinan - a core charge. If I want to keep the stock ones I have to pay 2.6k extra which I did not know before. Guess I should have read the fine print....pretty funny being an attorney myself .
    I also just found out that they have to modify the flange for the catalytic converter for the new headers - thus no longer stock either.
    So, my question is does it really make sense to pay the extra money to keep the stock velocity stacks and to buy a new pipe to weld the flange to?
    It seems to me to be a waste of money to do this since those parts will probably sit in a box for 20 years. I probably will die with this car and will pass it one to one of my kids.
    In any event, if I, or my kids, don't have those parts no one will be able to say it can really be restored to stock.
    Having trouble deciding what to do. I have a few days to decide and would appreciate feedback.
    ps: I am not a millionaire so I do not have money to burn per se but could of course afford to go either way.
    Craig.

pss: once the car is complete I will post some pictures of all three of my toys as some of you have requested.

So eh y ru requiresedounf ouj So . sufn sI could but and r eh ethis ca .aeily erm 93' Mazda ) dopme229# p'eadanan t ah and Pthe talled and now it is in the shopthen

I've kept everything, but like you, I don't intend to sell. However the last few years have taught me that, the future is all but certain. So, having a well sorted car that can be sold its maximum value at a moments notice can't be a bad idea. It's just your personal gamble. I'd say make the car the way you want it, and enjoy it. If you ever have to sell, so be it, but I'd venture that over time, original cars (or ones that can be returned to original) will have the greater market value.

Dinan's pretty good a custom software. I don't think I'd pay the premium to keep the stock velocity stacks, but I also seem to remember that they're the least impactful component of the Dinan kit (most power from intake and exhaust) - memory may be wrong. I'd be curious to know what they could cook up a version of the software for all the true bolt on parts so that you could have a nice hybrid. I think I mentioned before that the personality change from standard M5 to Dinan M5 (S2) is quite a bit more significant than Z8 to Dinan Z8. So, you might want to see what they think as I'm not sure you really gain much anyway from the bored stacks.
    thegunguy

I kept some original parts, but not all. I have the brakes, rims, shift knob and linkage, but not the mufflers, stock suspension or swaybars.

A mint, super low mile Z8 will certainly be the most valued of all going forward, but the fun in our lives is driving these lovely cars, and because of that I have a hunch that a well modded car will be worth more than an unmolested one of the same mileage as the years go by, and here's why.

All the mods we are doing are recorded, discussed and even owner rated here, so it is easy to know what the best set up is, and what a perfectly set up Z8 should be like. Enthusiasts love to drive, and that is what the Z8 is all about, so I am going to suggest that a car with the right mods from Dinan, or Peter Pan service and upgrade history, will be the more highly desired by an enthusiast. Of course a collector will be looking for a museum piece, and any car with more than 10k on the clock won't even register on his radar, but with our 250,000+ mile motors none of our cars will be worn out in our, or our kids lifetimes!

Just my $0.02 worth!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Madness
    You'll not lose a lot of money owning a Z8 -- but you will lose money. With over 5000 Z8 around, it's going to be a long time for the appreciation to surpass the ownership/maintenance cost. Performance upgrades, in particular the kind you're doing, will limit the market size, but if you find the right buyer, you'll get top dollars. I think spending extra money to keep the OEM parts is money down the drain. Keep what you can, for free, and forget about the rest.
    62050 - Z8

Z8Mania
    I would try to hold the OEM parts just from the stand point if there ever becomes a reason (sale or you just want to go back to OEM) they might become more and more difficult to find and that means they will be more expensive. JMHO. I dont think you are crazy if you don't keep them, this is just my bias.

Z8Mania
    Btw- I don't disagree with you Red Z8 about the market dynamics but I do have to say that if you look at a "collectable" / "vintage" car the Z8 might not really qualify for that right now but consider the price of admission as compared to others and its actually quite a bargain, and probably safer to be in GFB there is an accident.

Z8 Madness
    And I agree. I think the Z8 is an exotic car that can be serviced at the BMW dealer around the corner, safe to drive, and enjoyed with minimal depreciation. What else can one ask for

62050 - Z8

Z8Mania
    And did we mention that its simply GORGEOUS? And it has a real stick shift!