Thread: Alpina numbered badges - not aging well

Alpina numbered badges - not aging well

There was some discussion about the Alpina numbered badges in a for sale post recently. (On the Alpina, the number badge (x of 555) replaces the Z8 badge between the seats.)

The badge in the original post was very discolored (picture 1). For some reason, these badges do not age well. Does anyone know what they are made of? The material does not feel like plastic and is very textured.

Picture 2 is from the original Alpina brochure (yes there was an Alpina brochure!)and the last one is from my car. In the last picture you can see the edges on the badge are silver but the front facing has discolored.

I have seen a few other badges in person (many online) and they look similar if not worse.

I am going to take a wild guess here. The sharp edges of the letters, both raised and depressed, lead me to think these badges are stamp molded textured plastic of some kind. They are not machined metal for sure, so the discoloration is most likely the paint or coating they are covered with. I think this is something that the Z8 Club may be able to help us answer as they have very close contact to Alpina in Germany.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

The badge on my Alpina looks brand new. I never park the car in the sun with the top down so the only exposure to the sun is the limited driving that I do. Could it just be weathering that is causing discoloration for some?

Could be, or could be something in certain cleaners are staining it, but honestly I'm just guessing at this point.
    Andrew Macpherson

curious why 135/555 has engraved appearance of the BMW ALPINA ROADSTER V8 vs the raised look on 043/555 and 116/555? When did that change or did the last 2/3rd of the batch have the engraved emblem? Was this an aftermarket replacement or.... what this really an Alpina car or a regular Z8 made to look like an Alpina? Anyone else on this board with a higher numbered Alpina for us to compare too?
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Not Euro vs US?

Seems not, maybe it was meant to be, as all the cars I've seen in the EU have raised lettering, and all the ones I've seen in the US have engraved lettering, but it would seem there are some that got put on the wrong cars when they were being assembled! Is there anywhere else on the car that the edition number appears, or is it only on the badge?
    Andrew Macpherson

Here's my shot of the badge on the last one - 555. Personally, I'm not for the mix in relief.

thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Seems not, maybe it was meant to be, as all the cars I've seen in the EU have raised lettering, and all the ones I've seen in the US have engraved lettering, but it would seem there are some that got put on the wrong cars when they were being assembled! Is there anywhere else on the car that the edition number appears, or is it only on the badge?
    The edition number only appears on the badge and no where else on the car. As far as the raised versus engraved lettering, I remember reading that the early US cars had the raised lettering and then it was revised to engraved. I have no idea why it changed.

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Is there anywhere else on the car that the edition number appears, or is it only on the badge?
    Not really on the car, but the key has the number as well.

Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

LLZ8
    I am confused about this whole badge thing. Where is this on the car? My 2001 key only says Z8 on the back? Is this only for Alpinas?

Larry

Larry
    2001/Silver/Red-Black

Yes, this was just the badging for the 555 Alpinas, which were only 10% of the production run, none of the regular Z8's had any limited edition numbering.
    Andrew Macpherson

The Alpina badges are prone to tarnishing and one that was at my dealership had it replaced and that the replacement badges in the center are all engraved / stamped and no longer have the raised letters. You can see that in the images above where some of them have the raised letters and the tarnished one is engraved.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

LLZ8
    Thanks Andrew.

Larry
    2001/Silver/Red-Black

DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by Z8doc View Post
    The Alpina badges are prone to tarnishing and one that was at my dealership had it replaced and that the replacement badges in the center are all engraved / stamped and no longer have the raised letters. You can see that in the images above where some of them have the raised letters and the tarnished one is engraved.
    They were able to order a numbered replacement badge for the car?

Has anyone removed their Alpina badge and tried to clean / polish it?

Gar

DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by zilver8 View Post
    There was some discussion about the Alpina numbered badges in a for sale post recently. (On the Alpina, the number badge (x of 555) replaces the Z8 badge between the seats.)

The badge in the original post was very discolored (picture 1). For some reason, these badges do not age well. Does anyone know what they are made of? The material does not feel like plastic and is very textured.

Picture 2 is from the original Alpina brochure (yes there was an Alpina brochure!)and the last one is from my car. In the last picture you can see the edges on the badge are silver but the front facing has discolored.

I have seen a few other badges in person (many online) and they look similar if not worse.
    Interesting that Alpina 048 is a relief badge, not raised. Also somewhat tarnished much like the 134/555 one above.

Gar