Thread: 10 year maintenance - fluids?

10 year maintenance - fluids?

My car will be 10 next month (I am the original owner) and I am going to have it gone through thoroughly while the Alpina suspension is installed. My service advisor asked me what fluid I wanted in the transmission and differential. I have no idea, but suspect that some more knowledgeable than me have some insight or suggestions on this. Any thoughts on this? Anything else maintenance related we should look at?

Thanks.

I have used Redline in the past, but these days I just use the BMW oils that they recommend, and the TWS in the motor. Since many of us are approaching our 10th I'll ask J?rgen at the Club if he would consider creating a 10 year check list.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Good idea. I would have them change the diff fluid, transmission fluid, motor oil, brake fluid. And if the battery is more than 5 years old I would swap it out.

Thanks. Sounds like the OE fluids are the way to go. My service manager asked me about something called Royal Purple. Sounds like overkill since I am not tracking the car.

A 10 year checklist would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Rise View Post
    Thanks. Sounds like the OE fluids are the way to go. My service manager asked me about something called Royal Purple. Sounds like overkill since I am not tracking the car.

A 10 year checklist would be great.
    I don't think that there is such a thing as overkill considering the car we are talking about. I do all my own maintenance because I don't trust anyone else to do it. I've researched this throughly, including correspoding with Mike Miller of BWM Club "Tech Talk" fame. Here is my list:

1. Motor oil - BWM/Castrol TWS 10W-60 (I do this every 2,500 mi or every 2 years)
    2. Transmission - Redline MTL (every two years regardless of mileage and this IS overkill)
    3. Differential - Redline 75W-90ns (every two years regardless of mileage and this IS overkill)
    4. Coolant - Only the BMW blue. This is critical because others (particularly the yellow prestone) will attack the aluminum in the S62. This should be done every two years regardless of milleage.
    5. Brake fluid - ATE blue. Then next time use ATE yellow so you can tell when the fluid has been completely purged. Then back to the blue next time and so on. This should be done every two years regardless of milleage.
    6. Power steering - Redline D4ATF. Most people forget this one!

Since it's been 10 years, consider replacing all the cooling system hoses since you are going to drain the system. Also, don't forget the cabin microfilters (search elsewhere in here for my write-up on the easy replacement).

I think that's it???
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

Thats a great start, and I also spoke to J?rgen about this, and we will get a full Z8 Club 10 year check list from him too.
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts. I already did the microfilters, using your write-up, it was most helpful.

Z8Mania
    Also check those trunk bolts:
    http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=2217

Funny, I have ordered in all the cooling hoses a few weeks ago. Just need to get to Dana at Peter Pan for install.

Thats a great idea, maybe I'll do the same if it isn't too much of a crazy expense.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Thats a great idea, maybe I'll do the same if it isn't too much of a crazy expense.
    Consider the alternative. You're on that great drive, on that great road and one of the hoses pops. The hoses are less than $100 if you use your BMW CCA membership card to get the 20% discount many dealers offer.

If Dana wants a first born for labor (unlikely), I'll help you do it in your garage.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

At 10 years, I would also consider replacing the belts and while doing the hoses, consider the coolant temperature sensor as well. ///MBlitz stated it will, which if you can not remember the list, just ask your service advisor to do the OBD II inspection and replacement, which is usually done at 60,000 miles or every 3 - 5 years with minimal driving. The true 60k inspections / service on the S62 motor also recommends spark plug replacement but if your milage is significantly less, probably not necessary.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

The ten year list grows....

1. Motor oil - BWM/Castrol TWS 10W-60 (I do this every 2,500 mi or every 2 years)
    2. Transmission - Redline MTL (every two years regardless of mileage and this IS overkill)
    3. Differential - Redline 75W-90ns (every two years regardless of mileage and this IS overkill)
    4. Coolant - Only the BMW blue. This is critical because others (particularly the yellow prestone) will attack the aluminum in the S62. This should be done every two years regardless of milleage.
    5. Brake fluid - ATE blue. Then next time use ATE yellow so you can tell when the fluid has been completely purged. Then back to the blue next time and so on. This should be done every two years regardless of milleage.
    6. Power steering - Redline D4ATF. Most people forget this one!
    7. Check trunk bolts
    8. Replace belts
    9. Replace cooling hoses
    10. Replace coolant temperature sensor
    10. Check - (replace) MAF's
    11. OBD II inspection and replacement
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off jpklecker's Avatar
    This is great information. I would however strongly recommend checking and maybe replacing the belts at between 6 and 7 years. My main belt started to deteriorate at 7 and a half years (39,500 miles). Driving home one day I heard a thump and then a slight tapping noise. Immediately stopping to check... I noticed a section of the belt had borken off, only a half width of it, for a length of about 10 inches. Granted I live in the Phoenix area (very hot summers and very dry most of the year) but this could happen elsewhere. Total replacement cost was $170 for both belts including labor, a small cost considering what could have resulted from this.
    John Klecker - 2002 Topaz / Crema (61782)

Completely agree and I neglected to include it in the original list. In fact, I replaced mine at 5 years (only 5K miles) and they had some small hairline cracks. Age does them in as much or more than actual mileage. I put the old ones in the trunk just in case of a failure on a road trip.

Sport Button On - DSC Off