Thread: IMPORTANT! Check your trunk lid bolts immediately!

Z8Mania

Exclamation IMPORTANT! Check your trunk lid bolts immediately!

Yesterday I opened my trunk. That is hardly newsworthy. We do this all the time without any drama. But yesterday something else happened. There was a fairly pronounced "THUNK" sound when the trunk was opened. I noticed the trunk lid had some how moved and had chipped about 1/8" of paint off the "spacer" piece that resides in between the trunk lid and the roof of the car.

WHOA! What happened?! This was very frustrating. I enlisted the help of a local shop and this is what happened.

The short version is you should go out to your Z8 now with little star tool/ allen wrench/ in hand and open the trunk lid and make sure the 4 bolts that hold the trunk lid on to the hinges are good and secure.

In my case, the leading edge of the trunk lid on the drivers side did not clear the spacer piece. Thankfully, the trunk lid did not get damaged- but that "spacer" piece did- it got chipped. I have it at a top paint shop now getting repaired. Very lucky it wasn't the actual trunk lid.

We figured out that the trunk lid is actually under a decent amount of tension when closed and over time that tension causes the bolts that hold it on the hinge to loosen and what happened is in the case of my car, its time was up and it literally slid ever so slightly. How many times has that trunk lid been open and closed over 10 years? And its also under tension when closed. I would note I have car #55 so this could be something they worked out with later builds.

I would also note that there is very little clearance between the trunk lid corner and that spacer. We found that by tightening the bolts on both the drivers and passengers side, the issue is resolved. The lower bolt was more lose and in my case they were a little more lose on the drivers side.

I would recommend checking these bolts immediately, make sure they are nice and tight, and then follow up maybe once every 6 months.

I take this to be part of having an aging vehicle. Just something to be aware of.

Great tip, thanks for the heads up. One of the things I was shown to do by J?rgen at the club is always leave trunk, hood and doors ajar when the car is parked to lessen the compression on the seals, and it will lessen the pressure on this point too. It is a useful habit to get into, every time I put my car back in the garage I leave everything ajar, the key in the ignition and the trickle charger on.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    That is very interesting. Everything huh? As for the trickle charger, if you find its not giving enough charge, check out the ctek 7002. It's kind of the big momma of these trickle chargers.

The trickle charger seems to work ok for me. So far I'm on battery # 3, the previous ones having lasted just shy of four years each on constant trickle and occasional use. I never used to keep my key in the ignition, but if the key goes dead seems it can lead to all kinds of other electrical issues, so now I just leave it in there in the 'off' position, as I think (hope) it is getting a charge too.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I dont think it will unless the ignition is on/ car running... but I could be wrong!

Yes, logic says you are right, but I have a feeling that someone somewhere said that it does pick up a charge if it is left in the ignition.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Andrew,
    When you leave everthing ajar do the interior & trunk lights stay on??
    Pandaman

They go off after a couple of minutes on mine.
    Andrew Macpherson

In the words of Bevis and Butthead:

"eh, eh, trickle chargers bad-battery tenders good...eh, eh"
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Andrew, which battery trickle charger do you recommend currently?
    Thnx,
    Jim 0041

Mania, Sorry about the damage, thanks for tipping us all before it happens to us.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Jim, I use the Deltrans ones that BMW sell under their own badge.

Regular Deltrans version - http://www.batterymart.com/p-battery...arisonShopping (you'll need to add a cigarette lighter adapter)

BMW badged version - http://compare.ebay.com/like/2709043..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    You're welcome. My favorite tender/ charger is the Ctek 7002.

Jerry, had your trunk lid been removed at some point in the past for some reason? This is the kind of thing that happens in my opinion after that scenario when the technician really did not tighten it per the correct torque specs when putting it back and did not use a smidge of lock tight to prevent premature loosening. Thanks for the tip but... mine are tight.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Z8Mania
    Thanks Jeff- so far as I know it was never removed. The reason I say it that way is because what if the dealer or someone decided to do something. You never truly know. Could be a fluke thats unique to my car BUT it could be a problem we all face. The good news is this is easily monitored. Just something to check every now and then.

I agree, on that note while you are in the area, those little shock absorbers are issues too as mine when out around the 7th year of ownership and had to have them replaced. Not expensive and seems like a DYI job but those little buggers have a little clamp that requires a special tool to loosen and the clamp is easily messed up.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102