Thread: Fathers Day Drive: Z8 + Exige S240

Fathers Day Drive: Z8 + Exige S240

Holy Crap! The full Euro Alpina set up is a revelation.

Part of my fathers day included a 3 hr. canyon carving trip. My son in his Lotus, and me in the Z8. This is the first time since the conversion that I have been able to really put it through the paces. The grip was immense, and the confidence was all there. The front was very stable in every kind of turn (this is a beautifully nasty, tight road). Understeer was never a problem. Just plain crazy good. The Lotus wasn't too hard to hang with... perhaps I was pushing it harder, using about all she had, getting into ABS once or twice, stability once or twice, and traction control ALOT!

Which brings me to my next observation. I seemed to be getting TC much more often... I mean alot... almost every turn, and many times just on the straits. This doesn't seem to make sense, given I have more rubber on the road now, and far lighter wheels that should keep the tires in contact better.
    Possible explanations:
    1) Having driven a GT3 for the past 3 years, my expectations have changed, and I push the Z8 harder, revealing it's limits.
    2) The better suspension and front end grip promote faster cornering overall, therefore making it easier to dance on the edge
    3) The new Pirelli tires are less surefooted (I know people who said this) but that doesn't make sense because the front end is awesome
    4) The MUCH lighter wheels "spool" faster, ie: more, quicker, torque transfer... I think this may be it
    E: All of the above?

Either way, the car feels awesome, and what better way to celebrate fathers day, than some serious driving with your son. He has quite the skills... he has learned well... I am proud.

Great story indeed, and happy belated Fathers Day!!

I suspect after our recent Formula School, and seeing you tear off over the horizon, you're just getting the car to where all the systems are saying, "Woah there buddy!".

I know you'd mentioned the Z06/ZR1 folks not liking the Pirellis, but I have not had any slips, slithers or slides, nor seen the DSC light interrupt things. As you know I do shuffle the Z8 along at a good brisk clip on the twisty backroads, so if the tires were suspect I'd have got a sense of it by now. However since I'm a few seconds a lap slower (more cautious?) than you that could explain why I'm never getting into the very edge of traction, the realm of the electro-nanny, and you're banging up against it.

I forget did you add the LSD to your car, because flooring it in lower gears on the straights could be giving you slight wheelspin with the stock diff?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

No LSD. I'd love to drive the same road with both cars (yours and mine) back to back, to see what difference it makes.

I can't swear it'll make the difference, even before the LSD I very rarely got into DSC. All those years motorcycling have made me a very gentle driver, even at my fastest speeds, however a lot of the owners who have fitted it say it pushes out the boundary of DSC interruption. We'll be able to see in OR for sure, as our cars are now pretty much identical.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    I vote its mostly 1. MPS2 not in your size? Congratulations on a nice Fathers day.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    I vote its mostly 1. MPS2 not in your size? Congratulations on a nice Fathers day.

No PS2s in rear 295 size

I think E: all of the above... tires being the least. (overall cornering grip was awesome)

Glad you guys got out. Is the Mines?
    thegunguy

Yes Mines rd. No fresh gravel, but a bit once in a while.

It was nasty the last time we tried it. Glad it's better.
    thegunguy

You should go now! Even take Jack for a leisurely tour and a burger at the biker joint. Or, continue on to the Mt. Hamilton observatory.

I'm thinking of doing my grill this weekend and going up there and the Livermore vineyards for photos. For some reason, my car likes to be around grapes.

We should talk paint.
    thegunguy

oh gawd you drive even faster now Norcal? Tom scared the crap out of me trying to keep up last time lol - the Oregon trip will be interesting

Z8Mania
    I usually think the tires make somewhat of a difference. I have to say I think the LSD issue was overblown and if I could go back Id skip the LSD and just get the higher gears. The LSD has an upside: better to really blast out of corners at lower speeds. But for for every upside there is a downside: turn in suffers. And we already have enough understeer.

Hmmmm.... a day or two later I got a TPM light. Passenger side rear was at less than 20#. Filled it... two days later same deal. Some kind of slow leak. I don't recall seeing any light that day. Perhaps the tire was low, but not low enough, or perhaps I damaged it that day. Need to take the cat to Dana anyway to get new exhaust put on and to change all my cooling hoses (to be on the safe side) so I'll have him check the rim and tire.

Hmmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    ........... check the rim and tire.

looks to me like time to upgrade the wheels and tires?
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

That IS on my new HREs and Pirellis. Matt called today... screw in my new tire. (see gallery for my new shoes.)