Thread: Headers?

Headers?

I know several companies make or can custom make headers for any car. Any first hand experience with one of them? Any dyno's done? I am told equal length 4-2-1 headers should make 30-40rwhp on our motor. Was promised by one company familiar with our cars that no chasis modifications would be necessary.
    I have exhaust and chip although that might need to be upgraded to max power and fuel maps. Thanks, John

I think Dinan and Supersprint are the two companies who make headers for our cars, but I don't know of anyone who currently has them fitted. It seems that the Dinan ones are usually part of a package, which include airboxes, chip and some other little engine management parts.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off

Dinan

Dinan still makes the headers for the z8. I am having them installed next week along with all of the other options available for the z8. Been driving it stock for about 2 weeks now and loving it but so excited for it to get the power my dinan s2 m5 has - but with less weight.
    I actually should have had all of the work done by friday but dinan sent the headers for another bmw.....so, the correct ones will be in on tuesday and I will bring the car back to the shop then. Hopefully by next friday my new toy will have a lot more HP and torque and be back in my garage!
    Craig Z.

Z8Mania
    I got to drive a fully Dinaned out E39 M5 a few weeks ago and it was simply the finest M5 (E60 included) Ive ever driven. Just fantastic. Congratulations!

Hamann makes SS headers for the Z8 (just had them put on by a Dinan supplier in Vermont last year) the car also has a Supersprint exhaust, stage 5 Dinan software as well as low restriction air boxes and intakes. It sounds phenomenal and goes like a scalded cat. I believe the cost was about $4100 for the headers but will check my records.

Craig, whats the report? Anxious to hear how the car is with the headers.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by craigzaller View Post
    Dinan still makes the headers for the z8. I am having them installed next week along with all of the other options available for the z8. Been driving it stock for about 2 weeks now and loving it but so excited for it to get the power my dinan s2 m5 has - but with less weight.
    I actually should have had all of the work done by friday but dinan sent the headers for another bmw.....so, the correct ones will be in on tuesday and I will bring the car back to the shop then. Hopefully by next friday my new toy will have a lot more HP and torque and be back in my garage!
    Craig Z.

DSC Off

Dinan Headers

oops... Sorry I have not responded yet. I have been too busy.
    Forgive me.
    The car is simply insane. I can't per se say though that it is just the headers that are great as I had all of the Dinan work done (literally every option possible other than a supercharger) plus I just had the Quaife diff. and BMW Motorsports 3.62 gearing installed. It pulls so hard it makes me giggle and I am used to fast cars again with my dinan s2 m5 and an extremely modified rx-7.
    This car is truly a dream to me.
    The beauty, the power and a convertible.
    There is really nothing else I could ask for.
    Great investment, great toy and it simply makes me happy.
    Back to the headers - they were expensive but when you are talking about buying a six figure car it just seemed sense to me to just do it all - and that is what I did. But now it is complete and I will have this car for 20 + years as I am a buy and hold type of guy.
    If money is not an object I would do the work.
    The only odd thing though is that it is still pretty quite. I had thought it would end up sounding really really loud like my m5 (which just roars at idle and is crazy loud at open throttle) but it is not at all. Not much louder than it was at stock which is surprising but I think that is actually good with this car and adds to the class of the car, instead of making seem more like a muscle car.
    If you want to talk about it further feel free to give me a buzz on my cell at 410 707-1831. I am in MD and on east coast time.
    Craig.

ps: I also got my plates on the toy which I know another guy has in Washington State "CRAZ8". They look great.

LOL CRAZ8 would be us

DSC Off

plates

Yeah,
    I had a few posts with your husband a while back when I thought I was brilliant for coming up with the plate - until he told me that you already had it.
    At that point I did not know what State you were in so I was bummed out that someone else already had it here.
    Great plates... get comments every day I drive it.
    Enjoy the long weekend.
    Craig.

Craig, thanks for the response. I forgot about this thread as well and it was fun to "discover" it again. Sounds like a wonderful setup. I have the quaife with the same gearing and it does transform the car for the mountain driving I do. I am suprised your car is quiet as well. I have the Eisenmann race exhaust and its about the perfect sound imo but would have thought that headers would certainly make the car much louder. Congrats on the complete job well done! John

DSC Off
    Cool. Craig.

Z8 Novice
    For some reason this is the only car I have owned that I want to keep it original.

I put Headers on absolutely every gasoline powered vehicle I have, have had and will have.

Weight savings, power improvement and the best increase of good sound possible.

My car was used by Dinan to prototype the headers they make that requires no body/chassis mods. I love them.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Z8Mania
    This is the age old debate between the moders and the keep it stockers. IMHO the only bad answer here is if you would truly love the mods. And each of us has our own answer to this one. I was never much of a modder but Ive made some tweaks to the Z8 for which I am happy with and I have done that on other cars as well.

DSC Off

mod's

I kept all of the stock parts so that I could return it to its original condition for collector purposes etc....
    But, if you drove this car the way I set it up you may change your mind about modifying yours - assuming you like power. The car is simply insane and makes you giggle when punch it! But, as they say, to each his own. The Z8 is simply a great car.
    Enjoy it stock. Enjoy it modified. Enjoy it.

Craig.

ps: if you live anywhere near me (Columbia, MD) you can drive it and see for yourself.

Ha, I was rereading this thread and was about to ask Craig where he lives and if I could go for a ride with him, and then saw your last sentence. No help to me, any dinan header cars in SF bay area?

Jerry, if you get together with Craig for a drive, please post your impressions. How awesome to drive a stock car and then the full Dinan car back to back, same road, same time, temp etc. Somebody please take Craig up on his generous offer.
    PS. hope you and family are well. John

I'm sure there must be some Dinan cars in the Bay area, maybe worth ringing Dinan themselves to chat, they are very helpful there. Ask for Derek Butts, he's very Z8 knowledgeable.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Id love to do that but the odds of that are pretty low given that there seems to be thousands of miles between us.

DSC Off

East Coast

The offer is still open if anyone is in the area.
    I have only let 2 very close friends drive my toy but I would trust another Z8 owner.
    I am keeping this car till I die (I will be 46 on super bowl sunday, and, on that note I am praying that we will all be watching the Ravens and 49rs get there to see the Harbough bowl!) so the offer will stand to my fellow car nuts forever.
    craig.

ps: It is generally in hibernation on a lift in my garage with the trickler on from december till late march because of the weather on the east coast.