Thread: 507

Team Z8

Has anyone seen ot know anything about the 507 currently on Ebay with Fantansy Junction?
    http://fantasyjunction.com/cars/925-...208%20Cylinder

We already chatted a bit about it in the 507 thread.

I know no more than is posted on their site, except that I still can't forgive myself for not bying the perfect navy blue with parchment interior one they sold in 2003 for $200,000 !!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    We already chatted a bit about it in the 507 thread.

I know no more than is posted on their site, except that I still can't forgive myself for not bying the perfect navy blue with parchment interior one they sold in 2003 for $200,000 !!
    god how I regret letting that DB4 for 88k CHF go.

All I know is that it looks like a well used driver.

If you want it looked at, I can do that for you as I want to venture there on other business. Let me know and I'd be happy to do it for you.

[email protected]
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Z8Mania
    I would love to get your impressions. Not looking for a full detailed report just your once over opinion. I think these are too expensive but it would surely match a black/red Z8

Jerry, was just down in that area as I went down for the first day of the Open. Will be back in the next couple of weeks, so if you are still considering, email me and I will take a look for you.

Last time I looked into these they were mid to high 4's and I dont think it was that long ago, but time does fly. Certainly good to have a vintage car or two to balance the moderns depreciation!!

I remember one year when the Calif. Mille Miglia came through Mendocino and trying to talk to an owner about his. Guy was so full of himself it was a disgrace to car guys everywhere.
    Good reminder for us all not to judge someone who is interested by the car they happen to be in at the time.
    Had a great experience of that a couple of years back. Nice Sat. morning and i was out in my boxster for a drive. Passed a gaggle of pcars coming up for a drive and while I waved, not a one repsonded. Later that same day, I was again driving and I passed the same group of cars, but this time I was in the stradale. They waved, heads swiveled and all kinds of attention offered. Sad commentary if you ask me.

I hate to say it, but P car owners are kind of like that, the only one I've owned was the GT3, which was great fun at the track, but on the road I always felt the world just saw me as another prick in a Porsche.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I hate to say it, but P car owners are kind of like that, the only one I've owned was the GT3, which was great fun at the track, but on the road I always felt the world just saw me as another prick in a Porsche.

Yes, there is that issue too!!
    Good thing they can be set up to be such good handling cars, and quick too.

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riverflyer View Post
    Jerry, was just down in that area as I went down for the first day of the Open. Will be back in the next couple of weeks, so if you are still considering, email me and I will take a look for you.

Last time I looked into these they were mid to high 4's and I dont think it was that long ago, but time does fly. Certainly good to have a vintage car or two to balance the moderns depreciation!!

I remember one year when the Calif. Mille Miglia came through Mendocino and trying to talk to an owner about his. Guy was so full of himself it was a disgrace to car guys everywhere.
    Good reminder for us all not to judge someone who is interested by the car they happen to be in at the time.
    Had a great experience of that a couple of years back. Nice Sat. morning and i was out in my boxster for a drive. Passed a gaggle of pcars coming up for a drive and while I waved, not a one repsonded. Later that same day, I was again driving and I passed the same group of cars, but this time I was in the stradale. They waved, heads swiveled and all kinds of attention offered. Sad commentary if you ask me.
    John/Andrew

Couldn't agree more

Do not feel alone. As an owner of a late model 928 I cannot tell you how many times I/we have been shunned and utterly ignored by the Pcar (read: rear engine/air cooled) guys. Overall a very closed minded and exclusionary group

Don't know what they are missing
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Z8Mania
    All I can say about that is I dont get that kind of attention (negative association) with Ferrari or the Z8. I think people react to the Z8 and a F car as something special. The problem that Porsche suffers is similar to the problem a BMW 3 series driver suffers- its actually a practical sports (or sporty) car that gives most people confidence to do things they woudn't other wise do and they dont have the proper training- or respect- to understand they shouldn't be doing them and thus they get this reputation.

I know several die hard P car guys and they don't fit this mold at all- just love cars- but I know what you are talking about. One of them let me drive his Carrera GT yesterday for about 45 minutes and I have to say its the best performance car Ive ever driven. Theres little risk of me getting one because of its reputation for snap oversteer- I could feel how alive it feels- but I didnt even get close to pushing except once on a straight with full throttle- and I might not even have been at full throttle. Its a shame the car doesnt have stability control/ if it had that I would consider getting one.

The problem I have with vintage cars is I like to drive my cars and those old cars, in an accident, are fatal.

Have a look at this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

So if I had a vintage car, I'd put around short drives and then just look at it and admire it, and rub it with a diaper.

This is one of the reasons I love the Z8 so much- old car charm + new car reliability and safety.

To me the 507 is a beautiful car but not worth that kind of money. I'd have a Gullwing first. Far more advanced technologically than the 507.

Thanks, Jerry. I just spent an hour watching cool cars get smashed. Check out this test of the SLS AMG, especially the part where they drop it on the roof and can still open the doors.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMNVV...eature=channel

Jerry, 100% with you on the practical-classic aspect of the Z8. Money no object I'd have a track car too, but the classics really are for babying, unless you have mad 'historic racing' money. Talking classics I thought the Gullwing would be cool till I went in one. It's not cool, it's HOT! No AC, windows don't wind down, and you're in a glasshouse that sucks in sun even more than an Elise cabin! Talk about sweltering, you know that's a car that was developed in a chilly climate!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    The GW is awesome but youre right. I also drove the SLS AMG with the harder sport suspension and I liked it a lot but it left me cold. I find the exhaust note "contrived" its just too much- it sounds like NASCAR- this is a MB- but it has fantastic steering. The CCM brakes are initially soft and then instantly grabby making them tricky to use. I suspect a few high speed stops will fix that. It did on my 599. This thing has more hood than the 599 does and it feels it but once you get going it easy to drive. Shes quick too and the wet clutch automatic lacking a torque converter semi manual tranny is not as responsive as the 599 but its smoother. Overall its a really nice vehicle but no where as special as the original which was a technological marvel- DOHC straight six- that kind of engine didn't get widespread use until when- the mid to late 80s? 30 years later! I think if I were to go vintage Id look seriously at the 300SL roadster- it wont be hot with no roof!

Great video Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by KenZ8 View Post
    Thanks, Jerry. I just spent an hour watching cool cars get smashed. Check out this test of the SLS AMG, especially the part where they drop it on the roof and can still open the doors.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMNVV...eature=channel
    Didn't watch the video. Did the drop improve the design?
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    So has anyone actually seen this one? Id really like to get impressions.

You mean the AMG SLS? Is it any different?
    Andrew Macpherson

Jerry,

Do you still want me to give the 507 a kook-see? I may be at FJ next weekend.

Scott
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Z8Mania
    Yes please, but only if you are there for other reasons.

Andrew, yes the SLS AMG. I was asking if anyones seen this 507 which Scott says he might go do.

Driving impressions of the SLS are above. Its technically very impressive but I have zero passion for it.