Thread: New site logo...

New site logo...

Earlier this year someone asked if I had the little site logo as a large file to make T-shirts, caps etc. Well would you believe that that little logo was created at exactly the size it appears by the tech team in London back in May 02 at the birth of the site, and no one can find either the original, or that image of the Z8 used. It's obviously a PR shot of the Bond car, with a UK plate, but it isn't a shot I have in my extensive archive, which includes all BMW's released press shots!

So, what that means is I picked through over 2,000 images to try to find the shot that was closest to the one we know and love, and really shows the Z8 at its best, and this is the one I came up with. The only problem of course is it is my car, with the BMW Motorsport rims. Still, I think it looks really good, what are your thoughts, comments and ideas?

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

What about putting the picture of the car through one of the photoshop filters to make it look like a drawing?

Try it and show me what you're thinking.
    Andrew Macpherson

Love the higher quality logo, but I'd be careful in allowing your art to be used outside of the site in the form of hats and shirts (maybe your weren't intending to). BMW have been rather kind in not forcing a change for our little group, whereas they highly restrict the Roundel's use even with recognized enthusiast groups such as the CCA and even the Club e.V.

Certainly, some have made hats and shirts on their own, and I'm glad to have a few of those. However, I'd hate for some site oriented trinket to end up on eBay causing the BMW attorneys to sour our wonderful online resource for any reason. Doing items for events and drives are easier as they are limited in 'life', but the site artwork should stand separate to protect itself.
    thegunguy

You state the well known and obvious, it was for OR trip trinkets for the participants, nothing else.

(PS: Nothing has been made, we're still phutzing around with the design ideas!)
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I like it. I also agree you should be careful not to infringe on any trademarks/ IP.

The good thing with this area of the board is only members can log in here to see what we are discussing, so showing it here is safe, and the only time I'd ever allow it to be used is for gifts that go with our events, as we have in the past, and not for commerce.

Since you guys have got me totally paranoid I also shrunk it down to the size it'll appear here, so there is no danger of it slipping out.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sorry to get you all worried. Just wanted to get the thoughts out there, and I was comfortable sharing since this is the private section. Figured you had thought through the risks.

I do like the revised version, and it will have some nice uses. My only thought might be to PS the original wheels on so that it could be anyone's car. Then again, Jerry and I might prefer black over red.

Great work!
    thegunguy

I know, the wheels would be best as stock, but when it is small you don't see them so much, and since they are neither Z8 nor Alpina rims the car could be both/either, plus they are period correct BMW wheels.
    Andrew Macpherson

A note for iPad owners, when you see the new logo appear in the top left you'll know that we have also done the iPad optimization, but since I don't have one I'll need your feedback to make sure it is working perfectly. We'll moving the Gallery frame up and left a few pixels so nothing gets cut off on the screen, it will only respond that way on iPads, for everyone else it will look and feel the same.
    Andrew Macpherson

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    A note for iPad owners, when you see the new logo appear in the top left you'll know that we have also done the iPad optimization, but since I don't have one I'll need your feedback to make sure it is working perfectly. We'll moving the Gallery frame up and left a few pixels so nothing gets cut off on the screen, it will only respond that way on iPads, for everyone else it will look and feel the same.
    Hello Andrew - The logo appears correctly on the iPad screen and everything works just fine, and indeed, the gallery could be moved ever so slightly to the left just to allow for a tiny white border on the right side of the screen so that it does not appear as if the pictures are cropped, which they are not.

Regards,
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

There's quite a bit of white space in the right side of the nav frame. 20 or so pixels could probably removed to expand the content frame. I'm guessing this is what you may be doing to move the gallery.

If you want to do some iPad testing you could sign up as a developer. It's only $99 per year, and you get a simulator that you run on your Mac that would allow you to test page layout/rendering on a virtual iPad and iPhone. I could also let you borrow mine for a week or two if you want.

What ever came of building an RSS feed for new posts? Seems like I remember it required an PHP upgrade that your host wasn't able to do. Still the same?
    thegunguy

What ever came of building an RSS feed for new posts? Seems like I remember it required an PHP upgrade that your host wasn't able to do. Still the same?
    Yes, it is the same issue with the upgrade to VBB 4.0 too. The server we host from is actually a super secure banking and financial services server in the Isle of Man, so the architecture that it uses dictates what we can use. The good news is we should be safe from all kinds of hack attacks, as it is a Fort Knox like set up, even I can't access the server!

The other thing I've never been able to do is put Tom & Lisa's wonderful Z8 Database up, because the language it was created with isn't known by the coder writers we work with, who are all based in Russia! Who'd have ever though our little chat room would take a people from three continents to keep running!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    For those on the Oregon trip, I have ordered hats and lapel pins for the trip with our trip logo as seen on the Oregon drive site. Some of the hats are black and some are grey with the logo on the front and the Z8 logo in black or red on the side. The lapel pins are in the same logo. The hats, lapel pins and map brochure will be available on Monday at 17.00hrs at the Allison. I think evereyone will be pleased with the art work on the hats and lapel pin. See you soon. Erik

Erik...

thanks for doing all the leg work. I am sure it will be great and so looking forward to the trip and seeing everyone.

BTW, check your PM folder, I sent you a message a while back about some of the fees.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Erik,

Quote Originally Posted by Edythe Schlossstein View Post
    For those on the Oregon trip, I have ordered hats and lapel pins for the trip with our trip logo as seen on the Oregon drive site. Some of the hats are black and some are grey with the logo on the front and the Z8 logo in black or red on the side. The lapel pins are in the same logo. The hats, lapel pins and map brochure will be available on Monday at 17.00hrs at the Allison. I think evereyone will be pleased with the art work on the hats and lapel pin. See you soon. Erik
    for some reason, the message I previously sent is not in my out folder and I just tried to send you another PM and when I clicked on submit it disappeared but again, is not in my out folder so I am not sure what is up. Can you send me a PM to see with maybe your email address so I can send you the message again?
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Blackie

Exclamation Z8 Logo

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Earlier this year someone asked if I had the little site logo as a large file to make T-shirts, caps etc. Well would you believe that that little logo was created at exactly the size it appears by the tech team in London back in May 02 at the birth of the site, and no one can find either the original, or that image of the Z8 used. It's obviously a PR shot of the Bond car, with a UK plate, but it isn't a shot I have in my extensive archive, which includes all BMW's released press shots!

So, what that means is I picked through over 2,000 images to try to find the shot that was closest to the one we know and love, and really shows the Z8 at its best, and this is the one I came up with. The only problem of course is it is my car, with the BMW Motorsport rims. Still, I think it looks really good, what are your thoughts, comments and ideas?
    Need fire from the Exhaust!

Andrew:

What possessed you to sell? You are the official Z8 guy!

REG Z8 01

- - - Updated - - -

Are any hats available for purchase?

REG Z8 01

Sadly it's the reality of this economy and things in my business being very harsh, this is simply not a time for toys, and as much as I loved my Z8, it was in through a toy.

I have no hats left, they all went in the earlier sales.
    Andrew Macpherson

Reg, I purchased six hats from Andrew during the recent "Massive Bits and Bobs" sale. I really only needed one or two, and would be happy to sell you one or more if you (or anyone else) are interested. I am down at my home in south Florida right now, but will be heading home in a week or so and can send you pictures of the hats I would be willing to part with upon my return.

Bill

Bill, Please let me know what hats/caps you have available.
    Thanks,
    Denis

Hey Boomster: Please send me pics of the hats you have available and what you want for them. Thanks! REG Z8 01

- - - Updated - - -

Hat sizes too. Thanks. REG Z8 01