Thread: Soft top window bead repair in LA.

Thumbs up Soft top window bead repair in LA.

I just had my soft top window repaired by Thomas Top & Upholstering here in LA. They were highly recommended by Havenhurstkid, who is fastidious about his cars, and did a wonderful job in just an hour.

Contact - Dale Delanders..........323 469-3277
    Thomas Top & Upholstering
    1317 North Cahuenga Blvd
    Hollywood, CA 90028

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    Has anyone had their plastic rear window replaced? Unfortunately, I scratched mine while cleaning it.
    Interestingly the suggested price from BMW for the replacement window in $1400!!
    LarryG

The other thread here has the instructions for replacing it in German, but I have not had one done, nor am I aware of anyone who has. However I do know it is a special plastic, and some Porsche Boxster owners were trying to get our plastic for their rear windows because it lasts so much longer than any of the other plastics out there.
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    I had mine replaced about two years ago. If I recall, it was about $500 for the window from BMW withthe BMW CCA discount. I took it to my upholsterer and he charged me $50 to install it, but complained that with the roll hoops limiting access it took longer then he expected. A good upholstery shop likely has more experience that the BMW service dept. I believe the process is similar to changing out a Z3 window, so nothing unusual. No problems to date with the installation.

Larry...

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Has anyone had their plastic rear window replaced? Unfortunately, I scratched mine while cleaning it.
    Interestingly the suggested price from BMW for the replacement window in $1400!!
    LarryG
    Have you tried some of the Plastic cleaning and plastic scratch removers for plastic windows? Most will help if not significantly reduce the scratch so I would try that before I replace it, but of course, ..... my first choice would be to just leave the top down all the time!
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I replaced mine in my first Z8 almost five years ago. I paid less than $500 for the window from the local BMW dealer and Thomas Top and Upholstery installed it while I waited. It is a somewhat touchy job, took about two or three hours, but Dale did a superb job as usual.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Team Z8

Hey Marty...Glad to see you're still here.

Are you still looking for another Z? Maybe join us for a Super Car Sunday before the summer is over? Ron

Hey Ron,
    Hope you are well. I have put my search on hold, at least for the time being. I upgraded my 996 turbo Porsche to a gorgeous 2007 slate grey with black interior 997 turbo and I just traded in my 2007 supercharged Roush F150 for a new 2010 Ford F150 Raptor with the new 6.2 liter boss engine. Being a truck guy at heart, I am in love with the new Raptor. Someday, another Z8, but until this up and down economy stabilizes, it is two cars and that is it.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Slate grey... cool. Must have been PTS. It is non-metallic, right?

My GT3 was Slate if I remember right, heres a snap of the old gal.

Andrew Macpherson

Original Slate grey was a 50s/60s color on the 356s and was a solid color. I wanted to do my GT3 in that but there was no paint to sample option on that car then (PTS). I think Porsche did come out with a metallic version... "Slate grey metallic"

Thats right, the famous Steve McQueen Le Mans 911 was flat Slate, but mine was "Slate Grey Metallic".
    Andrew Macpherson

That is correct. Steve McQueen loved the original non metallic slate grey. He ordered it on his 1969 911S coupe, which is owned today by his son Chad, and on his 1976 turbo, which is owned by Mike Regalia. Both cars were at the 2009 Concours Show in Palm Springs. My car is slate grey metallic like Andrew's GT3 was. The slate grey metallic would have been a great color on a Z8!
    P.S. While not PTS, slate grey metallic was not a standard color selection. On the window sticker, it was a $2,450 option.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

My P-car dream (besides the GT3) was/is PTS. Can't help it, don't care if it is $5k, it's in my DNA! Since my initial idea for slate (non-met) around 2003, it seems every supercar company has gotten into the solid stealth grey color, including matte. Oh well, great minds...
    I have plenty of other colors up my sleeve!

Z8 Novice

DIY Rear Window Bead Repair

As an alternative to the west coast solution, I used "E6000 Adhesive" on my top and have experienced no problems in over a year. Mine was about a 12" section and I glued about 10", put the fabric back under the bead, then massaged the area to spread the adhesive evenly and out to the ends. Used a toothpick as an applicator.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Thanks, KGZ8, for the tip on E6000. Will give it a try...