Thread: Dride Major Problem Urgent

Sport Button On

Dride Major Problem Urgent

I was just startled to hear what sounded like a series of loud bird-like chirps and went to the driveway to see if a bird was in trouble. The chirps were coming from my 2003 Z8 Alpina. The windshield wipers were in full swing, the front light washers were on an intermittent full blast and the left front light was going on and off. The key was not even in the car and it was not running. My key would not open the trunk. I manually opened the car got in and started the car and it got louder, wetter and lights were going on and off. I rolled down the driver's side window and pressed the button for the trunk which then did open. I turned the car off and it stopped but the trunk would not electronically open, the driver's window will not close and the windshield wipers are in the open position and will not retract. It is one hour later and the car is no longer chirping, it starts but the same problem with the trunk not opening, wipers stuck and both windows are inoperable. Don't have a clue here other than I better get it towed to a dealer since I am afraid that if I drive the thing with all this wacky stuff going on it may have an acceration or braking problem. Thoughts???

Wow, that is pretty dramatic, and I've no heard of that happening before, sounds like the electrics have been set off by something. Since you car is outside under cover you may want to check for critters, seriously, as some cars have had mice and rat damage that messed them up. Failing that I would certainly get it towed to Century West.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On

Happened Again at 1:20AM

Chirping again (I think it is the alarm), front light washers are going crazy spraying the hood but the windshield wipers are no longer going crazy-they are stuck in the open position. I just disconnected the battery and will deal with it in the morning. I may just reconnect the battery, start it and make a run for Century West BMW. D

That sounds totally crazy. Not to mention PITA. Please keep us posted

I'm out on location on the beach again today, so cell service is patchy, but give me a shout anytime.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

What is this....?? Sounds like a shortcircuit or so..?? Over here in parts of the Netherlands we have 'marters', tiny animals that get underneath the hood and are known to chew away wires. Any fuses blown? Like you said, I too think it is better to have it placed on a towtruck.....

Please keep us posted, and good luck!

Z8 Madness
    Did you try disconnecting the battery, waiting a while, and reconnecting it?
    62050 - Z8

Z8Mania
    I agree to get it to the dealer. You don't want a tow though- flat bed only. I also agree it sounds like a critter or something caused a major electronic malfunction.

Sport Button On
    Not a critter. Control module replacement time.

water leakage??

it is a short circuit in the alarm system and is triggered by the hood light switch / manual override off switch located on the driver side just near the cowling area just behind the shock tower. The switch sensor wears out ever so slightly and hence, senses that the hood is being opened illegally (key not in the ignition) and will set the alarm off, sometimes even though it is not armed. This is a known problem with age. Had to have mine replaced at around 48K miles. There may be another master fuse / relay that needs replaced too as the washers / wipers I believe are on the same circuit. Your local BMW service center can fix and should not be very expensive -- more pain in the but for you.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Sport Button On

Thanks

Not sure what it is or how it was caused which is why it is at the mechanic. I appreciate all of the posts and will pass on info to the mechanic as the repairs proceed. Miss the car this weekend as there is beautiful weather.

Sport Button On

Car is Back

After installation of a new contral module and assorted other items, the car is back. Great service expect they forgot to reprogram my keys so no remote alarm, etc. Later, D

Sport Button On

Cool Long time

Have not had the car for two months. Will come back perfect but what a bummer without her/him/it...

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    must be more to the story. Unfortunate to say the least!