Thread: Wheel Alignment

Wheel Alignment

This is the alignment info that comes from BMW's own system, and it doesn't differentiate between the Alpina and the Z8 so I am assuming they are meant to share the same basic settings. You can download a full PDF here.

Front:
    Camber................... -0? 30'
    Toe......................... 0? 04'
    Track differential....... -1? 55'
    Caster..................... 6? 44' (7? 44' with Dinan caster plates)
    Setback................... 0? 00'

Rear
    Camber................... -1? 30'
    Toe......................... 0? 12'
    Geom driving axis..... 0? 00'

Doing the kind of spirited back road driving I enjoy I have found the car in need of more negative camber at both ends, as my tires are always worn out on the edges before the insides. At this time there is only any adjustability in the rear, but hopefully we will have a front solution before too long. This shot shows the rear camber adjuster.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Thanks Andrew!

Thanks for the post Andrew but not sure I know what you mean about developing a "front solution"-- is that in reference to camber or caster adjustment? All front ends of all cars allow for toe and camber adjustments, some allow caster adjustments, but, the Z8 does not and is fixed by the position of the front strut relative to the frame and shocktowers. For example, my Dinan Stage 3 suspension has -1.0? of negative camber with +7.0? of positive caster (Dinan Caster plates do this move the top center of the strut toward the rear of the car, i.e., 1.0? to +7.0? overall positive caster) and you want as close to 0.00? of toe in / out as possible. However, not all cars have adjustable rear camber, but most cars with independent rear suspensions, like BMWs and our Z8, do allow for rear camber adjustment. Using the Dinan Set up, they recommend -2.0? of camber (negative) for the rear, as compared to the -1.0? stock BMW setting.

So... what other setting are you wanting to do that the current suspension adjustments to not allow (other than dialing in your caster --- maybe?) There are aftermarket coilovers that allow damper adjustment and some allow for caster adjustment but none that I have found for the Z8 (remember those KW Coilovers a few years ago that Deiter was using that allowed for Damper and height adjustment?).
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

It's about adding more negative camber in the front, which is not adjustable. Strangely, many recent BMWs do not have camber adjustment in the front, including the Z8.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I'm about to have the Alpina suspension installed- any suggestions for tweaks to the stock alignment settings? I am not doing the Dinan caster plates as I just wanted to do one thing at a time for the sake of understanding the differences.

I'd keep everything stock except the negative camber. Try to get as much as you can out of the fronts, around -1.2? would be ideal, and -2? rear.

(I know the front isn't adjustable, but when they are rebuilding the suspension they might find a way to create more if they go in with that brief.)
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Way may want to move this to a new thread to keep the alignment sticky pure for reference, but after researching over the past few days, I'm thinking that any negative camber in the fronts will likely come from a bolt offset similar the caster plates from Dinan. Short of really getting into replacing the struts with a coilover system or developing new control arms, there just isn't anything available with an eccentric style adjustment like in the rears, including for the 6cyl e39, from where our front end is derived.

I'm taking the X5 in for control arm bushings soon. I'll spend some time brainstorming with Matt.
    thegunguy

We're looking at modifying the subframe to accommodate an eccentric bolt/nut, allowing camber in the front. BTW: not likely you can get any more camber in the front without the Dinan plates. They allow for just a little more. I think mine is approaching negative .45 minutes... I'll check my specs when I get home

The front solution is already here.....

I thought I had seen a solution somewhere a few years ago and here is what you are looking for..... I have no personal experience with this but it does exactly what you are looking for if you wish to be able to adjust front camber and front caster.

They look like they would be protective to the shock towers just like the BMW PP or Dinan Caster plates are but are much more adjustable.

I like the lightweight option and are not very expensive. Probably about a grand installed.

Z8 KMAC Adjustable Camber / Caster Plates
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Yes, those work but add greatly to ride height... perhaps 1/2". We'll have to see really how much. The Dinan plate add about 1/4" I think, so if we remove those we still will be even 1/4" more than now. Too much I think.

Ian, do you really think those KMAC adjustable will add that much? Have you seen those in person on a different vehicle or a Z8? I measured my car before and after the Dinan plates and then again after the performance package was added and I found no significant difference in the height of the front end (measured 3 spots - nose to ground, and center fender well to ground on both sides) -- only about a 1/8 inch change and I still have a slight forward rake for the stance. Those KMAC, esp. the lightweight ones, "look" in the photos be be similar thickness as both the Dinan and BMW PP plates so I am not sure as I do not know anyone who has ever used these particular plates.
    Best Regards,

Jeff