Thread: Napa owner with modded e9 coupe

Napa owner with modded e9 coupe

Hi all, someone just mentioned they heard of an e9 coupe with a M5 motor transplant for sale. They thought the seller also had a modded Z8 and that he/she lived in Napa.
    Anybody know this person or are you here by chance???

Love to talk cars if the coupe is still for sale, thanks, John

That is Andy Rowen, it is simply stunning, Dana gives it a two thumbs up.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Haven't heard from him in a long time (that I can recall). Perhaps Dana (Peter Pan) has his contact info.

I'll give him a call. I talked to him about a month ago and he did not mention that he was selling it. I will find out and let you know.

Dana, thanks. I did get his email address and sent him a note. If you want to follow up, that would be great. I have a very nice 3.0csi but its a ways away from what i want and i have someone interested in buying my car, which I would consider if I had a replacement in mind. An e9 with our motor in it, wow, sounds awesome.
    thanks, John

I don't think it is our motor, if I remember correctly it is the straight six M motor from the first gen M5 and M1.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I think it has the old 6 cyl M5 motor not our 8

Ok, that does make more sense. I only drove that model a couple of times and it certainly is much heavier than the coupe. Seems like a good motor though.
    I hope the owner does contact me back, interested to see the car if its available.

Have you guys seen it? Driven it?

Ya gotta love the internet, where some stranger from the east coast contacts me because I have a modded z8, tells me about this coupe for sale (allegedly) and that I can get the owners contact info and find out at least some things about the car from a single post on a small model specific internet board.

thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I don't think it is our motor, if I remember correctly it is the straight six M motor from the first gen M5 and M1.
    Actually, the photo you are showing is of the second generation M5 (e34) with the S38 B36 motor, which was rated at 310 hp in the U.S. The first generation M5, the M635 and the M1 used the M88 motor (not-catalyzed) in Europe and the S38 B35 (catalyzed) motor in North American and Japan for the M5 and M6.

While the M88/S38 cannot match the brute power or torque of the S62, it is significantly smoother under acceleration particularly at the really high RPMs. There is nothing like a BMW inline-6 for smoothness. When I go from my M6 to the Z8 I can really tell the difference.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

The owner of the car is Andy Rowen - contact him via email at [email protected]
    To the best of my memory the car has an e34 M5 engine - done very nice. We did do some of the finish work here. (Matt Carver was the tech)

Dana Caldwell
    Peter Pan BMW

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Interesting read, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ///M Blitz View Post
    Actually, the photo you are showing is of the second generation M5 (e34) with the S38 B36 motor, which was rated at 310 hp in the U.S. The first generation M5, the M635 and the M1 used the M88 motor (not-catalyzed) in Europe and the S38 B35 (catalyzed) motor in North American and Japan for the M5 and M6.

While the M88/S38 cannot match the brute power or torque of the S62, it is significantly smoother under acceleration particularly at the really high RPMs. There is nothing like a BMW inline-6 for smoothness. When I go from my M6 to the Z8 I can really tell the difference.

Probably more appropriate choice anyway, both in power and weight for an older coupe. Thanks for the info.

Dana, I did send an email last week, no response.
    Will try one more time. thanks