Thread: Find a mechanic to check classic car

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Find a mechanic to check classic car

Hello all,
    I?m looking to find a mechanic to check a classic car I?m looking at in the Plainview ? Brentwood vicinity of Long Island, NY.[
    It?s a 2300 mile 2001 year car (so told) in excellent condition. So this is not an appraisal call - just to confirm physically and mechanically what the dealer is presenting.
    Any leads will be greatly appreciated

Philip Thackray
    61115 Topaz Crema

What is the "classic car"?
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

2001 Ferrari 550 Barchetta.
    Unfortunately, this car suffers from ?matchbox car? styling. A shame since it was meant to commemorate Pininfarina?s 70thyear. But it is one of about 4 Ferrari models that fall into the category of V12, 2 seat, roadsters. My favorite was always the 275 GTS but that car was underpowered, underbraked and poorly built. The 330 was another nice ?spyder?. I never cared for the Daytona. Those older Ferraris have lots of issues and are priced as collectables.
    From what I have been told, the 550s were reasonably well built (for a Ferrari). Certainly not to the standards of our Z8 (which I bought when I gave up my quest for the 275 GTS and I am REALLY glad I did!). For now, the 550s are priced like used cars ? I don?t know if they will achieve collectable status.
    I?m only moderately interested in this car but a low mileage one is available on Long Island and I thought I?d look into it.
    Here is the car:
    http://www.autosportdesigns.com/Sale...s.aspx?ID=1843
    I still would like to send a mechanic over there to inspect it even though I may not pull the trigger.

Philip Thackray
    61115 Topaz Crema

Is it me, or are the roll hoops taller than the windshield? Aren't coupes around 100k?

Knowing the peculiarities that cars like these possess, I would contact a member of the local Ferrari club to have a look as most mechanics would not have a clue as to what to look for. I say that with all respect in case a mechanic is reading this.

Roll hoops aside, these cars are beautiful, even if their rear end looks like a Z4 or Mitsubishi and the front (from a distance) looks like a Corvette or Viper.

Very nice!
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

The roll hoops really are a bit out of proportion, but maybe one could remove them and replace them with something more elegantly proportioned? I bet it makes a wonderful noise, you'll really hear that V12 whit the open top. I drove a 550 coupe once years ago, and I thought it was a pretty great car, so I'm sure this one will be a joy, so long as the service and running costs aren't an issue.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I have two friends with Ferrari's. Tune ups and routine inspection at the dealer: $10k

One of them had a tune up and then had a "funny noise" checked out in the tranny that lightened his wallet by $15k.

By the way, and this is the anal retentive side of me speaking, its not a classic for another 6 years.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Norcal,

The 550 coupe (Maranello) production total between 1996 and 2001 was 3715 cars (original price $225K). Only 448 of the 550 convertibles (Barchetta) were built (in 2000) and sold as a 2001 model. The limited production and uniqueness of the Barchetta commands the higher price (original price $258K). Also, in general, the Barchetta have limited mileage compared to the Maranello since they lack a true roof. The soft top provided is intended for very limited use. If it starts raining, put the top up and go home.

I?m guessing that the roll bars are at the height of the original roof. The windshield was tilted backwards on the convertible as a styling flair.

Believe me I?m not defending the appearance of the 550. It was intended to reflect the older Ferrari roadsters like the 250 GTO but I don?t think they succeeded very well. On the other hand, The Z8 design team nailed the retro look and produced a modern classic.

My interest in the 550 Barchetta is the V12 roadster aspect in a modern format (with some throw back looks) and a price tag that reflects a used car not an enduring classic.

Scott,
    Good idea about the Ferrari Club.

Philip Thackray
    61115 Topaz / / Crema

Phillip, your message formatting is really weird, are you copy pasting from a PC?
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew,

Yes! I write the text in Microsoft Word and copy/paste it here. That always worked before but now I do see strange simles, letters and symbols. I edit my text just after posting to remove the stuff that appears. As I said, it did not do on posts before this thread.

Is there any way I can write my text in Word and copy it here?

(current text written directly in message box)

Regards,

Philip Thackray
    61115 Topaz Crema

I don't think so, because the formatting is somehow encoded in the body of the text in Word. You can as easily spellcheck etc here, both your browser and the message board have pretty much all the same functionality as a word processor.
    Andrew Macpherson

One of the things you can do is create a signature that will always come up when you make a post, and format it the way you want with colors etc using the little symbols right above the dialog box you enter you text into, so can have a default signature like this...

61115 - Topaz//Crema
    Andrew Macpherson

Ok - I'll stay in the box!!

Philip Thackray
    61115 Topaz Crema

The box gives you all kinds of freedom once you get used to it!
    Andrew Macpherson

Philip, I remember when this car was new. I have often considered a coupe, as the price is so good, but it's just not a "sports car". It's a big GT. I think perhaps it is a used car at a collector car price. No matter how rare, it will never be that beautiful to my eye, not among the best looking or performing F-cars, and history is not kind to less than beautiful cars... no matter how rare, unless there is racing success or other significance. I'm just not sure this one will ever gain any real following. But if you love it, and love to drive it, or look at it, then get it. I'm not an F-car guy, not just a Z8 guy, I am a car guy, always have been. Good luck if you get it. It will be fun to see how things unfold over the following decades, I may be dead wrong.

DSC Off
    Having owned many classic Ferraris and currently the owner of a true 10,000 mile 330 GTC (1967) I would have to say that the 550 in coupe or open top form will never attain collector car status. These are expensive and in a sense, wonderful used cars. I have considered purchasing a 550 Maranello (coupe). Reasonable to look at and fairly priced. Miller Motor Cars in Greenwich could easily examine this vehicle for you.
    LarryG

Norcal, Larry,

As you can see from my comments above, I'm rather iffy on this car. I wrote to a friend "it's the George Hamilton of cars" right down to the prancing horses in front of the doors - the equivalent of wearing an ascot. While I think I would very much enjoy driving it, I'm not sure I want to be seen in it .

Larry,

Thanks for the Miller Motor Car contact. I'll talk to them if I decide to go any further.

Philip Thackray
    61115 Topaz/Crema

DSC Off
    Philip,
    I fully agree with your comments. That is why I have never owned a modern Ferrari. As I wrote months ago, the Z8 is the only modern car I have ever been drawn to. Once I figure out how to post a photo, I will post a pic of my Ferrari and BMW.
    LarryG

Just posted this in another thread. So, easy copy/paste.

Photo Attachment:
    Why you write your post there's a section labeled "Additional Options". From there, select Manage Attachments under Attach Files. You can then select each photo individually. Click upload, and wait for the screen to update. If successful, you should see file icons in the Attach Files section, and they will be displayed under the text in your post.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I can find out on the dealer for you. I know some people who are active in the geographic area. As to modern cars Im on the other side of the spectrum- I drive my cars and everyone I know with the truly gorgeous vintage ones are afraid to drive their cars. No thanks for me. I agree that this car will never be a true collectors car. But if its fun and you like it then it could be worth it. Ive never been a big 550B fan because of the strange styling but Ferrari is able to get away with a lot that the others could never dream of getting away with. And you said it about a V12- there is nothing like a V12, especially the Ferrari V12 and the motor in the 550 is supposed to be a real cracker. The 550 really was a return to a proper road car for Ferrari and they did strive to build a good car and I believe they did a good job. Btw- my service visits have been nothing like 10k- they have been far lower except for tires. But the friends with vintage ones can really scare you with service visits- 10k is nothing on those. I suspect as these cars age they will be more expensive to own. Let me begin by finding out about the dealer.

Oh and GFB you get into an accident in those vintage cars- their idea of crumple zones is your spinal cord.

Z8Mania
    Im beginning to get feed back and here is what is emerging:

1- this example is nice- a good thing
    2- the dealer is a bit of a pain in the ass
    3- who likes to charge too much
    4- and isn't quite 100% up front. (this seems to be a euro conversion, which may or may not be a good thing)

More information is forth coming and I will share with you as I get it.

Jerry,

Thanks for looking into that. They did say upfront that it is a European delivery vehicle. But I was told that the car came here early on, when there was not much difference between the European and US models. However, that does cloud the history a bit.

This dealer has (had) two low mileage 550Bs for sale - a Barchetta Red which they say is sold and the Rosso Corsa that I was looking at.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Philip Thackray

Z8Mania
    Philip, send me a PM or email me I have info for you from a friend who dealt with them and I have a local mechanic for you as well but I dont want to go broadcasting this so please shoot me an email at jerry at levyhouse dot com. I just wrote out the words so my email is harder for the bots to grab. In short it seems like they are a solid place to deal with, they are a bit aggressive but they also get good things. Basically what I said above.

Jerry,

Some of the vintage cars with wood sub frames have faired better than some modern cars when they are crash tested. Something to be said for wood, I guess.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black