Thread: plastic rear window scratches

DSC Off

plastic rear window scratches

While cleaning my plastic rear window, I inadvertently put some fine scratches on the outer surface. Are there any products that can be used to polish out these blemishes?
    Thanks,
    LarryG

Check out Mothers? Plastic Polish, and it is perfect for z8s (see the label)

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06208.html

I'd gladly endorse the Mothers guys and their products. Another one I've used on the Z8 and motorcycle windscreens is Meguiar's Mirror Glaze with good results. It's a two part product cleaner #17 and polish #10. There's a 3M product I use to use on airplane windscreens, but I'm drawing a blank.

When it comes to the plastic backlight in the Z8 though, I'd just leave it alone unless it hinders your rearward vision. It can easily be damaged further, as you've already discovered. For me, I hardly drive it with the top up.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I agree- its best to leave it alone, it will probably get worse over time from little bits of grime that get on the top and will rub around when you drive- but if you cant stomach it then the products above all work great. Btw the same products also do wonders for the plastic dash panels.

Aren't the plastic dash and door panels painted?

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    I'd gladly endorse the Mothers guys and their products. Another one I've used on the Z8 and motorcycle windscreens is Meguiar's Mirror Glaze with good results. It's a two part product cleaner #17 and polish #10. There's a 3M product I use to use on airplane windscreens, but I'm drawing a blank.

When it comes to the plastic backlight in the Z8 though, I'd just leave it alone unless it hinders your rearward vision. It can easily be damaged further, as you've already discovered. For me, I hardly drive it with the top up.
    The Meguiar products above worked great for me. Use sparingly with a soft microfiber cloth or you could make it worse.

I also use a product called Plexus (I've only found it online... http://www.autopia-carcare.com/bgi-20214.html). Use it after the Mequiar products and then use after each wash. Doesn't scratch and leaves the plastic very clear.

I have used all of the above with great success, but only at cleaning and clearing, not removing scratches. Be gentle, use a very soft clean fabric, and do several applications. If the scratch remains and drives you crazy the rear window just zips out, so you can always get a new one.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Aren't the plastic dash and door panels painted?
    Im not sure of the exact finish but I think its a clear coat. All I can tell you is it worked miracles on my interior. If you really want a detailed answer I can call my detailer and ask him what he thinks since he took all the interior panels off and worked on them extensively last year- the car came back looking like a beautiful piece of automotive jewelry.

On the interior, I prefer optical fillers instead of a polish.
    thegunguy