Thread: Unresolved Heater issues

Post Heating system problems.

Our cars do seem prone problems with the heating units.

Just wanted to give you guys an update of what is going on with the heater. I took the car in Tuesday morning with the outside temperature of 24 degrees and only heated seats. The air was so cold I just turned it off.

My technician called the tech line, and once again they stated that they have never heard of such a thing. Right...... Anyway, after checking the stepper motors, which we were both convinced would be the problem, they checked out just fine. He has ordered another control unit and is putting it in today. After warranty it will be an $1800 part! I am sure it will fix things temporarily, but told him that I know of other Z8 owners that have replaced theirs too, but to no avail. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that the mystery is probably going to continue with mine. -Chris.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Unresolved Heater Issues...........update

Several owners have now had intermittent problems with the heating system, but no one has been able to isolate and identify the cause as yet. If you've had this problem, and better still if you've found the cause and cure, please let us know. These two posts comtinue......

Sept 29 2004

Ok guys, I just got back from the dealership and here's what happened. I got to meet the National Rep. His name is Charles, and he was extremely nice and easy to deal with. My technician told him everything that has gone on so far and he asked me if there was anything else I could tell him.

He said that BMW really doesn't know about this problem and the reason is because nobody has filed a "Puma" case. Mine will be the first one so far. He told me to tell the guys on this board that are having the same problem to please take the car to their respected dealers and ask the service advisor/manager to file a Puma. He said after 3 of those come in it goes straight to Germany.

I told him that should not be a problem, because I know of 4 other Z8 owners on this board that are having the same problem I am. The key here is to file a Puma so that the engineers can start looking for the cause and fix for the problem. Anyway, when I took the car in this morning the heat was working fine (what did you expect?), so they are going to put a couple of different parts on the car and see if that doesn't fix it.

I am the guinea pig on this guys, and one of the main reasons I agreed to be one is because I assured the rep. that the owners on this forum would also bring their cars in and file a Puma so we can get this resolved once and for all. Thanks for all of the helpful tips and support. I can't wait to finally turn my car on and not have to wonder if the heat will work on that given day.

-Chris

----------------

May 2nd 2005

I just got back from the dealer with my heat working like never before. You can now hear all of the different dampers reacting to the dial positions, something missing before. (Listed as replacement of IHKA Unit # 64-11-6-902-890) The blower output is terrific, so it was probably blocked by a partially closed damper all this time.

-Ken Z8
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    I have had the same problem - which comes and goes for no particular reason. Cunningham BMW spent the better part of a day on and fixed it but they can't tell me what they did. The tech seems to think that the car's OS simply acts up and needs a system reset (hard reboot). When they first fixed it the fix lasted about 8 months- it has started working up again, along with a reluctant convertiible header latch.

Sport Button On

Any new info on heater problems?

My car, which I bought in August, plainly has a non-functioning heater. Since it came from Maui, the heater may never have worked. Is the posted info all that's presently known about this problem? Thanks for your help.

Mike

Not that I am aware of...

I think that there is a known service item about this in BMW's own tech database, as I know of a few cars that have had the issue, and then been fixed. The 01 car I had for 8 weeks over the autumn had an intermittent heater that I could get to come on by turning on the AC, then turning back to heater a couple of times. Based on that I'd also say it wasn't the heater that failed, but a glitch in switch-system.

Would you please let us know what happens with yours, so we can have the definitive info here.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice

Heater Rapair

Since having the "blanket repair" made on mine over a year ago my heater has worked both of the 2 times I've driven it. I also leave the air temp. control at max heat when the car sits. I am hoping to sell mine soon and I am hoping that if someone has to test drive it, they will do so on a warm day so I don't have to take the chance of the heater not working.

-Chris

Red face My heater is working perfect!!!!

My heater is working very good but in this weather i dont think that can be use for the next maybe 1500 years more so I have not complain on mine.

Z8 Novice

Heater problems

My Alpina is in the shop now for heating problems I cannot get heat to the floor. Bob Smith BMW is replacing the motors that adjusts the flaps within the heater box on warranty. 5-7 day wait for the parts from Germany.

Intermittent Heater

I am the original owner of my 2003 Z8. I live in So Cal and don?t drive the car all that often and it has not seen rain or snow and the top has never been off, so only occasionally do I ask it to heat the interior. I usually need to turn the heat on and off, or go from cold to hot on the temperature control to get it to work. I do use that air conditioning regularly and it seems to work fine. The air steering control seem to always work, it is just an issue of getting heat rather than cold air.

Hap

Heater repair

My AC on/off switch did not work properly (AC stayed in the mode on). Repair: exchange of the electronic air control box. My impression at the service shop was that the replacement of the heater control box was something they were used to ...

Z8 Novice

heater problems

I had the same problem. It always ocurred when the heater control knob wasn?t set to the HOT position for a long time (a few months). In my case the problem could always be cured by turning the control knob to the HOT position and after 1 minute back to the COLD position. You have to repeat the procedure several times until the heater works. I hope this will also work on your car. Good luck!

No help here .....

I just do not drive the car in conditions that require the heater to help. The heated seats are all I need.

I do need the windshield defrost from time to time and it seems that the fan will not "adjust" appropriately when I turn the control knob from defrost to heat or vent when asked. Maybe that is part of the problem?? Maybe the vent control is part of the original problems described?
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar

Smile

This morning, I experienced the heater problem. It would blow warm air, but not hot air. I texted Andrew and he suggested I turn on the AC for ten seconds or so and them go back to the heater. Presto, problem gone! It was as hot as a July day in Palm Springs!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Sport Button On
    Is this still unresolved? No amount of cold to hot or movement of the airflow helps the last two times I have been in the car but it worked perfectly well on Sunday.

As far as I know there isn't a defined fix, but every time I get the issue I cycle through all the heat & AC settings, and it seems to sort itself out.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    So it still creeps up on your now and again? I am going to go home and mess with it some more tonight. I did give it quite a workout yesterday. Nothing seemed to work. So odd because it was SO hot the day before.