Thread: bluetooth upgrade for use with iphone 3GS

Sport Button On

bluetooth upgrade for use with iphone 3GS

Did anybody do, or have heard about, a bluetooth upgrade that works well with the iphone? I would like to leave the car as much as possible in tact, so could this be something that can be combined with the existing phone system or does it need to be a complete re-install. What about changing the radio/nav/phone unit for an all-in unit that has bluetooth (like Becker for instance). Please advise. Thanks.
    (P.S. Finally bought a set of 20' Motorsport wheels today; looks stunning om my black/crema/black car! very happy!)

I know nothing about the electrical stuff, I just use my iPhone for everything, and since I only use the Z8 top down it isn't worth trying to bluetooth it.

Congrats on the new wheels, I love mine!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On
    Thanks for reply. I live in Holland, so given the weather here I do quite some driving with the hood up. Although the factory phone does work I am just hating these duo-sim cards. Finally today a police man on a bicycle (we have 16 million bikes in Holland!) got me using my (handheld) phone whilst driving. Fine ?160,00!! ($216,00!!).Time to address this...

Got caught today on my hand held phone in the car.. not sure how much yet. But at least he didn't write me up for doing 14mph over in a 25.

I'd suggest changing the system to a modern head unit and BT module. There are far many more options in doing this. Plus, the standard radio is a time-bomb anyway.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On
    Any suggestions? The only units I can find, who will fit, are those from "Becker". Please bare in mind I don't want to loose the navigation, so would need radio/cd/bluetooth phone/navigation.

Silver/Black

Try this!

http://www.gsmserver.com/shop/car/de...bmw_17_pin.php

And look for bluetooth unit over there also!

Hmmmm. There are lots of 1DIN nav units these days. I'm not sure what you have available locally, but I'm surprised you're only finding one.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On
    Thanks for answering, but could you please be some more specific??. I have looked at all the obvious brands, but only Becker seems to navi/bluetooth phone/radio/cd.
    Thanks in advance for letting me know.

Dutch Frank
    2003 Black/Crema/Black

Hey Dutch Frank...

You can swap out the old obsolete Cell phone module located in front of the CD Changer with the ULF / Bluetooth unit that was from the e46 3 Series and then pair your iPhone easily with it. The pairing button can easily be located in the small console compartment where your old cell phone used to mount.

The whole set up can be obtained from BimmerNav at this site:

Bluetooth for Z8

There is a thread on our site about this under Stereo section.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Sport Button On
    Thanks Jeff! In the mean time I had a Parrot MKi 9200 unit installed. This unit was specially developped for the Iphone.
    It consists of a small display, microphone and remote control all glue on (double sided tape). The actual unit plugs in at the back of the factory radio/nav with wires going to the original phone compartment allowing you to connect an ipod or use your iphone to play music. Works flawlessly!
    Maybe not the prettiest solution (you do see the little screen and the mic and the remote), but ease of use is great and since its fixed with double sided tape it can come off once there are other/better solutions. Another advantage; the whole thing retails for ?199,00 + ?100,00 to install, so not only an easy fix, also cheap (and working very well).

once there are other/better solutions
    Glad you have a solution but IMHO, the Bluetooth module swap out I mention is easy as 1-2-3, you can do yourself very easily and is a better solution and recommend you make the conversion but if you do not have a different iPod interface (see Dension link in this same forum) then sound like your solution is pretty simple!
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102