Thread: Forum software update...

Forum software update...

Sorry if you had any log in issues, we had to update the VBB software that runs the forum overnight, so it will mean you'll have had to log in again, hopefully only once.

Let me know if you see any bugs or problems associated with the update.

Thanks.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Thanks Andrew!

Thanks. The forum looks more fresh.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Lost the roundel post indicators.
    thegunguy

I see that on my iPhone, but on the home system they are still there?
    Andrew Macpherson

After a cache clean out I've lost them at home too - we'll have them back next week.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice

New Z8 inspection

Andrew, I am new to the site. I am surveying a new black/creme 2001with 18,000 miles. My biggest issue will to determin any frame issues. What is the best way to determine visually if any and then is there a definitive BMW service/inspection that can certify condition of the frame.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Great site!

These two links give you everything you need to know before buying...

http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showpost.php...59&postcount=2

http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.p...3&referrerid=2
    Andrew Macpherson

Jag,

Where are you located? Maybe, someone from this site can help you look it over.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Z8 Novice

I bought the Black/Tan Z8!

I am in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. Car was at a dealer in Atlanta and I flew up yesterday and bought the car. I have been looking for a Black/Tan for a long time with some mileage on it so I could drive it and not worry about the miles. This car really fit the bill with 18,000 miles and really clean and in very good condition. The links Andrew sent were a gold mine for me at the negotiation stage and I uncovered a lot of the little things that could have added up. I did all of the visual alignment inspections and had the dealer agree to CERTIFY that the frame and alignments were per original specifications after they do the checking. I was also able to get them to agree to fix all of the little quirky things that these cars sometimes have. I am guessing they will put another $3,500 in the fixes.

I will be looking for upgrade advice. Exhaust, suspension etc.

Thanks for asking.

Congratulations, and welcome to the wonderful world of Z8'ing!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    Thanks, I am looking forward to following and learning from this site. When you get a chance if you could give me some advice on the following upgrades:

1. Exhaust
    2. Suspension
    3. LSD
    4. Wheels what is the experience with the Dinan light weight wheels
    5. Of course the PP strut tower brace
    My other wheels are 2009 750i sport,07 911 Turbo, 55 Ausitn Healy 100/4,1955 second series 3100 Chevy pick up truck, 1966 F100 pick up truck w/ 450HP 390 FE, and now a Z8! Kind of all over the map. I just like cool cars and can not help myself.

You have created a really great site. Thanks for that.

I have covered all my own upgrades here, but very quickly I'd do -
    1. Supersprint full system or just Meisterschaft mufflers
    2. EU Alpina suspension with Dian castor plates and H&R swaybars (from Dana Caldwell @ Peter Pan)
    3. I wouldn't bother
    4. HRE Comps over Dinan for sure - I really like these ones.
    5. Must do mod, do at same time as swapping out the suspension.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    ALSO REMOVE THE CLUTCH DELAY VALVE!!! VERY IMPORTANT!!!

http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm

Because of this valve, no matter how quickly you lift your foot off the clutch pedal, the clutch engages the flywheel at a constant (slow) rate. In theory, it can save the driveline from shock, were an inexperienced (or immature) driver to dump the clutch at high RPM. But in practice, all it does is prematurely wear out the clutch and turn experienced drivers into people who, despite 20 years of practice, cannot shift gears smoothly. During parallel parking maneuvers, the delay can be infuriating, causing constant clutch slippage. And during hard acceleration, the large amount of clutch slippage can greatly shorten the life of your clutch. During normal, sedate driving, the shift from first into second gear is often jerky, leading passengers to question your skill. As the driver, you can see your passengers' heads bobbing back and forth during every shift! Yes, in their minds, they are laughing at you.

Well remembered, I've did that to all my Z8's so early on in the ownership cycle of every car that I'd forgotten about it!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Yeah its an easy thing to forget- but very important because it really improves the enjoyment of shifting and also because with it in there it will fry your clutch in anywhere from 4-18k miles depending on your driving style.

Z8 Madness
    It seems like I'm no longer receiving email notifications when a new message is posted since my last login (I used to receive those). I checked my user profile and all the right boxes are checked. It must be a system issue. Not a big deal, as I routinely check the site.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

You know I disabled it because every time an email went out and got returned because someone has changed their email address I get the bounce back. It has got to the point where I was getting twenty to thirty bounce backs a day, and I figured it is just so easy to visual the new postings in the forum, or click on the 'New Posts' button in the very top nav bar, that we could live without the emails.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Madness
    Works for me

Thanks again for maintaining this site
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT