Thread: OBD recall

DSC Off

OBD recall

I took my 2000 Z8 60109 to the BMW dealer earlier today to reprogram the OBD system. Apparently my car had a recall in 2000 to download a new OBD program
    (BMW campaign code 0012230200). My car wouldn't communicate with the CT emissions equipment and I was unable to register the vehicle.
    The BMW tech connected their equipment into the OBD port and had little luck in completing the project. I suggested that he try the DLC connector in the engine compartment and the process then went smoothly. Some early cars had both the OBD II port and the DLC connector. It is my understanding that in June-2000, the DLC connector was eliminated. My car was built in May-2000.
    Driving a 900 mile topaz/crema car into the service area of New Country BMW in Hartford, CT created quite a scene. All of the sales staff, secretaries, service folks, etc. surrounded the vehicle. I had my 15' of fame.
    It was this forum that alerted me to the DLC 20 pin connector on the right side of the engine bay. Thanks for your help.
    LarryG

Happy to hear you got it sorted out! Must be getting to spring up there now, time to start enjoying your beautiful car!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    Hi Andrew,
    When I went to the BMW dealer yesterday, one of the techs told me that my front bumper had been off in the past. He knew little about Z8s but based his comments on the way my front parking lights fit. Does the lower edge of your front parking light lenses have a space between it and the bumper or is it flush? There is absolutely no evidence of any paint work or repair to my car. It really looks as if it had been delivered yesterday.
    Thanks,
    LarryG

Z8Mania
    Do you mean the headlight assembly? These cars are hand built. Everyone has slightly different tolerances- especially around the headlight cluster. That is normal and does not mean the bumper was off.

DSC Off
    Hi Jerry,
    Thanks for the response. I was referring to the amber front parking light lenses. I did just look at mine and I'm relatively convinced that they are correct. Mine show a small gap at the bottom of these lenses with small nibs molded into the lense.
    Is yours similar?
    LarryG

If your bumper was replaced it won't have the OEM VIN sticker on it. The car has VIN stickers on the front & rear bumpers and inside the door panels I believe, but I can't remember where the one on the front bumper is usually placed! Maybe someone else can chime in here?

Here is a quick snap of my lenses, and my bumper has been off to be resprayed after a very bad freeway dirt storm on the way back from Aspen to LA after Meet In The Middle. The paint got severely pitted and chipped, so I had it resprayed, and had the 3M film added.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    From memory- I believe there is some space there- I will go look when I have the time.

DSC Off
    Thank you for the photos. I have no doubt that my bumper has never been off or painted. These cars are certainly vulnerable in the nose area. Now do I drive it or keep it with 920 miles on the odometer?
    LarryG

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Thank you for the photos. I have no doubt that my bumper has never been off or painted. These cars are certainly vulnerable in the nose area. Now do I drive it or keep it with 920 miles on the odometer?
    LarryG
    I would try and find out why the bumper was off. At 920 miles, I can't image it needing a respray due to chipped paint -- unless it was driven in a sand storm, but if so, your windshield would have the battle scars.

Sometimes brand new cars are repainted by the dealer due to transport damage. I would go to your BMW dealer and pull a detailed service history. I assume carfax did not show much. Also, try and locate the VIN sticker.
    62050 - Z8

DSC Off
    After looking at the car very carefully, I don't believe that the bumper was ever removed. The car is really without any flaws-paint, glass, etc. are without defects.
    Paint on the bumper matches perfectly.
    Thanks for the comments.
    LarryG

Z8Mania
    Here are snap shots of mine- the bumper was replaced by BMW NA when she went for the performance package- my bumper was badly stone chipped so I asked if they could take care of that... I played with the levels on several of the pics so you could better see the small gap- and I believe this is how my car was straight from the factory.

DSC Off
    Thanks Jerry,
    Your photos show the fit of your parking lights to be exactly like mine. One of the techs at the dealership who had never even seen a Z8 and likely was "showing off", thought that the gaps above the headlights and the fit of the parking lights demonstrated that the car may have been in a crash. I must admit that I did get a bit anxious for a while. I collect vintage Ferraris and really do know about such things. Thanks again.
    LarryG

Z8Mania
    Youre welcome Larry. I agree with your assessment. What kind of Ferraris? Have a look at some of the reflections

DSC Off
    Jerry,
    I have a late 1967 330 GTC with 10000 original miles. I am the second owner. I also have a national winning Dino GTS. I am currently looking at a low mileage Daytona that a local owns. I couldn't make out the reflections except of course, yours.
    I have purchased MPS2 tires and four new stock 18" wheels. I plan to have the tires mounted and put on the car next week. I am also replacing the soft and dirty brake pads with the Axxis dustless pads. I am not going to put on the performance package as I will be driving very little and the new tires are obviously more compliant.
    Regards,
    Larry

Larry,

In case you are interested:

http://fantasyjunction.com/cars/895-...%20Litre%20V12
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

DSC Off
    New Ferraris don't interest me much. The only modern car that has obviously caught my eye is our beloved Z8. It was "love at first sight" 10 years ago.
    LarryG

Z8Mania
    Same here with the Z8. Nice 550 but I dont care for the blue interior.

Nice sales technique shooting the photos in the impound lot. Gives me immediate confidence in the condition of the car. And the blue interior; it must have looked better in the imagination of the person who placed the order.

Z8Mania
    There's no accounting for taste as the saying goes. I can't tell you how many people who tell me they never thought red would look good as an interior color.

Z8 Madness
    Fantasy Junction carries a serious collection of cars for sale. I think they use the same background/setting for all their photo shoots. Take a look at this.
    62050 - Z8

Yep, they shoot against the outside wall.

I have spent hours there, talking with one of the detailers whose attention to his job was impeccable. The background on each of the vehicles that they sell is meticulously researched and well presented.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Z8Mania
    I love it for what it represents, nice car.