Thread: Traded our 330 for one of these...

Traded our 330 for one of these...

http://www.lexus.com/models/ISC/?cs:...owPopups=false

traded in our old BMW 330 for a lexus First non BMW we've had in like 10 years Now all of our cars are convertible lol

Looks nice, but I think I like the new 3 series drop top a bit more visually. What made you choose a Toyota?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

we've been kind of irritated with BMW for a while for various reasons and we really liked it after we test drove it. It has a much lighter feel to drive which I like a lot. It also has features not available on the BMW that I really wanted. It's now our daily driver and just fit better with what we wanted overall for that purpose.

Can't beat that! The car I owned the longest and did the most miles in was a Land Cruiser, so I have a soft spot for Toyota, and generally think they make a great product. Of course the news of late hasn't favored them at all, but that should have helped you get a great deal!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Madness
    So very nice Can't go wrong with a Lexus. Despite the news, and if reliability was my only constraint, I would take a Toyota over just about any other car. I think they are being unfairly treated.
    62050 - Z8

The BMW 335i convertible similarly spec'd is over 60K MSRP. The Lexus is 52K.

It also turns out that I don't need to drive the ultimate driving machine around town. The Lexus is much more comfortable to drive. Heck, on a long drive, the Z8 is more comfy than the E46 330.

There is 1 sweet feature in the stereo system - Bluetooth Audio - that BMW doesn't even have in the top of the line 760Li (a friend of ours just bought one, and its good to have 1 feature he doesn't have)

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Looks nice, but I think I like the new 3 series drop top a bit more visually. What made you choose a Toyota?
    And what about the gas pedal....?

I thought BMW added BT audio streaming recently. Lexus electronics are generally very good from a user perspective.
    thegunguy

I have more trouble with the mats and the gas pedal in the Z8 than I do with this Lexus. I also tend not to listen too much to what congress and the 'owners' of GM want to say to try to kill their competition. It might have actually swayed me towards a Toyota made car....

The gas pedal does make the car go quite fast though, but in the first 1K miles I won't have the car over 4K RPM

I was surprised that the 150K 760Li didn't come with BT audio - it has every other feature you could possibly want.

Quote Originally Posted by tomfakes View Post
    I have more trouble with the mats and the gas pedal in the Z8 than I do with this Lexus. I also tend not to listen too much to what congress and the 'owners' of GM want to say to try to kill their competition. It might have actually swayed me towards a Toyota made car....

The gas pedal does make the car go quite fast though, but in the first 1K miles I won't have the car over 4K RPM

I was surprised that the 150K 760Li didn't come with BT audio - it has every other feature you could possibly want.
    And quite a few I really don't want!

Z8Mania
    Congratulations!

Question on BT Audio- does the iPhone support this? If not what devices do?

Haha Norcal, very cute. What I find most troubling about the whole Toyota episode is the lack of attention to these concerns. Since they went to an electronic throttle in the early 2000s; how difficult would it have been to implement an electronic brake override? I don't know but I suspect it would have been very inexpensive, especially in light of what they have had to do now to retain owners.

Z8Mania
    Congratulations!

Question on BT Audio- does the iPhone support this? If not what devices do?

Careful what you wish for. If an electronic over ride were to engage when the brakes are applied, that would be the end of heel and toe, rev matching etc! (and left foot braking)

Z8Mania
    I believe BMW has this for some time and some how manage to get heel/toe downshifting. Is it possible they have it only on automatics? But I KNOW BMW does have this- as does MB and I believe the original unintended accelerator, Audi.

Z8 Madness
    Our X5 has a number of override features. For example, if a door is open, it will not stay in gear, unless the brake is applied .
    62050 - Z8

The iPhone supports BT audio very well! When you select the BT audio in the car, it kicks the phone to start playing where it left off, and when it disconnects, the phone stops playing.

Putting on my paranoia hat here for a second. If you were the management of GM, and you wanted to make every conversation about your biggest competitor turn away from how good the cars are and towards something that makes them look really, really bad, how much would you pay for that? How many congressmen would you need to buy?

I've read some credible reports that a large number of these throttle stories don't add up, with specifics.

Did the Z8 mats ever get a recall notice? I'm always having to move the drivers mat to stop it interfering with the pedals. When will BMW be up in front of our law makers explaining themselves? Where is the public outrage?

Z8Mania
    Actually the BMW throttle is a lot harder to stick but it can be done. Also I have never had a problem with the Z8 so if you do you should be sure you really have Z8 mats.

I dont buy this conspiracy theory. Toyota did a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE and even more HORRIBLE job of PR with this one. They played the Tiger rule book- except they have been doing this since the early 2000s so its really that Tiger played the Toyota rulebook- didn't he know he was working for Buick?

Youre right about many of the publicized stories- you get "copycats"- and often its not by people who are intending to stick their accelerator. These people hear all these stories, can't stop thinking about them, they magnify the problems in their minds and then they hit the accelerator instead of the brake and its part of a self fulfilling prophecy. The accident in Westchester NY with the Prius was right near where I live- I actually saw it. Turns out the car data says the brake was pressed 0% and the throttle 100%. How can you guard against people acting irrationally? You can't. But if you get out in front, communicate, it helps.

What I would have done:

1- tell the world we take this seriously and will work to find out whats going on.

2- institute brake override on all Toyotas/ Lexus on the road right now- it would take time and be expensive but they say the incentive program Toyota is running will cost them 1bn and thats just the incentives, never mind the lawsuits.

3- create a website/ blog that shows the cars being investigated and what they are finding. Show how most cars do not exhibit this behavior but the company takes customer concerns seriously.

The problems Toyota has today are simply a result of the fact that we have a "hysterical" society.

I do agree with you on this, but it does remind me of our issues past too, and the corporate veil we had to pierce with extreme measures to get any notice taken of us.

Also on my old Land Cruiser there was a brake issue in the anti-lock system. In 50,000 miles it only happened maybe a dozen times, and it was untraceable in service. Always happened going down hill on bad surfaces, you'd get on the brakes, and the pedal would firm up completely, but the brakes wouldn't engage. My reaction was foot off and down again, and that freed it every time, but someone with less mechanical sympathy could easily have 'frozen' and crashed in that moment. Some of the accident reports have been a bit suspicious to say the least, but I have first hand experience with the fire that all this smoke is from.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Everyone has issues. Its what they do that matters. Toyotas potentially affect tens of millions of cars, which makes them liable not just to their customers but everyone on the road. I think as a company they willingly ignored the information.

I dont think the things we went through were even close. For the longest time I resisted buying anything from Toyota, I've always found their products good but dull. I was recently thinking of getting a Lexus SUV. No dice now. Just my opinion here. I think the IS line is a very nice vehicle and the drop top has a lot of things going for it.

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    I resisted buying anything from Toyota, I've always found their products good but dull.
    Very true.

I wish they would put a bit more passion in their design work. The LFA is a good attempt, but at $400K, it's just silly.
    62050 - Z8

Z8Mania
    As my wife would say- "get over it". Meaning, Toyota's and Lexus' reason for life is not a car like LFA. This is a pet project of the fellow running the company, which I applaud but if you want a conspiracy theory- how about the head of the company is busy tweaking his megabuck supercar while there are QC issues going on but no one wants to bother him with such things. I just don't understand the LFA. Though the gauges are fantastic.

Lexus is known for good quality and I have not heard about the Toyota gas pedal issue affecting any of the Lexus models but I am sure it is possible.

For me, this car is OK looking but I do not like the fact that the more powerful 350 RWC only comes in an automatic and any performance parts are ALL dealer installed and hence, I am sure there would be some serious price variability on what various dealers charge for these upgrades (Toyota dealers in my area are know for this type of behavior with their 4WD accessories). Also, not sure on a brand new car, I would want the "dealer mechanics" tearing down the brakes system, engine parts, etc to get upgrades, seems stupid to me for Lexus to not offer these upgrades from the factory hence, I would not purchase one.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Z8Mania
    Good points.