Thread: Wheels Size and non-stock rims

DSC Off

Wheels Size and non-stock rims

I am a new member to this forum after having been (and still am) a member of the m5 forum (I have a full E39 Dinan S2 M5) and am about to buy a z8 (non-alpina) and want to change the wheels once I get the car.
    I hope I am not offending anyone but the stock wheels do not excite me. I know the stock rims are 18" and the Alpina's are 20".
    What size rims should I buy?
    18", 19" or 20"?
    Does the z8 handle significantly better with 18"'s v 19"'s v. 20"'s? Any reason to buy one over the other?
    Does anyone know if the Alpina z8 was raised a bit to allow for the 20" rims?
    ie: would the 20" rims actually fit well on a non-alpina z8?, or would they be too large so that the required low profile tires would cause my intestines to hurt after every bump in the road?

Finally, what wheels have you seen on the z8 that look great?
    If anyone has any pictures that would be great.

Thank you.

Craig Zaller

Craig, there is a whole forum section dedicated to wheels, with all the info on offsets, etc.

I am using BMW's own 20" Motorsport rims with Pirelli tires, and love the set up. However I would not recommend using 20" rims without swapping over to Alpina suspension, which I have done. If you want to keep to the regular Z8 suspension set up, then my personal recommendation would be the 19" lightweight HRE rims, I especially like the Comp C93 rims with either the Pirelli or Michelin Pilot Sport tires. If I change my rims again I will go to these, but in 20" as I have the much more compliant Alpina suspension.

PS, found these shots of them on a Z06, I think they'd look good on a Z8.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    Thank you. Yes, this and another model of the HRE's were in the running but I did not want to let anyone know what I was already thinking about.
    I do think these would look great on the z8! and I am sure they look great on your car as well. Do you have any pictures of your car that you could post?
    I also already read all of those threads about the wheels and offsets etc but they did not seem to totally answer all of my questions.....This forum is great and I am excited to read and learn more about my soon to be newest toy.

Others - please let me know your thoughts as well. Much appreciated.

Craig

I plan to go HRE as well, very much like the ones shown on the Vette, but black centers. I'll go 20", but also do the Euro Alpina suspension. Probably in the next couple months. I'll post pics when done.

Z8Mania
    Please post up a driving impression and also where one can source the alpina suspension. I am seriously considering making the move to the alpina suspension.

Craig, my car is all over the gallery, with the current Motorsport rims, and the previous 20" Hamann rims, the BBS 20" rims and the stock rims. The BBS were light, but the spoke pattern didn't really compliment the Z8, hence I went to the Hamanns, which were heavier, but better looking to the eye, however they didn't photograph very well hence I changed to the BMW rims I have now.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I actually think those BBS look pretty good! Youre giving me ideas!!!

They look really good on a black car, that was what got me to buy them, seeing them on a black car in Germany. However I just don't think they sat well on my silver car.
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off

wheels

Thanks for the responses and pictures. Getting many ideas.
    Anyone else? Keep them coming. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Please post up a driving impression and also where one can source the alpina suspension. I am seriously considering making the move to the alpina suspension.
    You can order the Euro Alpina bits from any parts counter, but they'll need to reference them in the EU parts system, not NA.

It really is THE suspension to have, combined with stiffer sways and plates. I handles as well as the Dinan suspension with a nicely compliant ride.
    thegunguy