Thread: Small, but passionate collection!

Small, but passionate collection!

Sorry for not contributing photos sooner, but I am not as computer savvy as the majority of members. I do enjoy this car combination, as each has a very different personality. It amazes me to see the reaction of even young drivers when they see the M1. It seems that many know OF the car, but few have seen one. Cheers to all, and may each of you have many safe and happy miles aboard your cars!

Great collection, thanks for sharing!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

What's it like to drive the M1 compared to the Z8? I've always wondered.

Note additional M1 pics below.

The M1 is a minimalist machine, that simply does very well what a race car was meant to do 30 years ago. After all, it was built as a race car (ProCar series), and modified for the street for homologation purposes, much like the Porsche 959 in concept. Recall that it is a fiberglass body over a steel tube frame, and it is as stiff as a board. Designed by ItalCar, and much of the chassis assembled in Italy--it then went back to Germany (Bauer) for the powertrain fitment and final assembly. Unlike other Italian exotics, the M1 is a well-built, fairly reliable, and forgiving machine. Many parts are still available, but expensive. I picked up a couple of oil filters for $45 each, distributor cap for $140, etc. My car is a Euro version, without US federalization smog equipment, and has around 31K kilometers on the clock (roughly 19K miles).

It is not easy to drive; no power steering, stiff clutch, poor visibility to the rear and a touch loud with the motor right behind your ears. Nonetheless, I am amazed how compliant the suspension is, despite the fact that the car feels as if it is on rails around corners: PERFECT balance. One of the greatest things about the car is the vintage Italian air horn---way cool. The 3.5 inline six is not nearly as torquey as the Z8's V8. While the Z8 is content driving at low revs, the M1 loves to rev, and seems to be at its best above 3500 rpms or so. Unlike my daily driver E93 M3, which is also a high revving car, the M1 actually feels more relaxed in the higher rev range, where the M3 starts to feel "strung out". This is a concept that is hard to explain.

Bottom line: I look forward to driving M1, just as I do the Z8. If I could pick any car that would perhaps emulate a daily driver in Heaven....it would be..........drum roll please..............the M1!

Best to all, and I will try to take some GOOD photos soon.

Sorry...the car was styled by ItalDesign, Giorgetto Giugiaro, with BMW design constraints, such as the double kidney grill, for example.

I think that the straight six is a pretty perfect engine to carry high revs, so what you say doesn't surprise me. I haven't driven the V8 M3, but the V10 M6 is the same thing, it goes like rabid raccoon when you get it over 5,000 rpm, below that it is a bit of a wandering water buffalo, making it pretty frantic fantastic. Happily I drove it in Europe, it certainly would have landed me in jail in the USA!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    WOW- this is a great collection and of course the star is the M1. Thank you for sharing!!

Thanks for the write-up. How does it fit you? (I'm 6'4")

At 5' 10" the fit is PERFECT. More than 6' would be a tight squeeze! There is minimal room for the left leg, as the front left wheelwell robs substantially from this luxury.

As I figured...not many (no?) vintage, and few modern 2-seater sports cars that fit me. The 360 was the first F-car, and really the 997 P-car (barely 996). Forget AM or Lambo. Haven't checked the Masser. That was the nail in the coffin for the Z8...it fit! Not by much, but I have done 1,000 mi in one day (Aspen to Bay area across 50, in a thunderstorm) and still come up smiling.

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Very nice stable of cars.
    I knew I should have been a pathologist
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema