• I bought my car in the USA, and DID NOT get a car cover

30 44.12%
  • I bought my car in the EU, and got a car cover

2 2.94%
  • I bought my car in the EU, and DID NOT get a car cover

6 8.82%

Thread: Z8 car cover...

Z8 car cover...

Who got a Z8 car cover when they bought their car? I've had four Z8's and not one of them came with a cover, was this a special order item, or was it something that many owners got?

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Mine came with a cover.... I thought it was standard issue.

DSC Off
    The car that i just purchased did come with this car cover. I assumed that the owner purchased it from BMW.
    LarryG

Mine did also.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Don't just type yes/no. Vote in the poll so that it's logged.
    thegunguy

Sorry. Didn't see the original post.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Without sounding rude...cause I am a hellova nice guy... why is this data tracked? Purely my curiosity getting the best of me.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Z8 Madness
    It makes it easy to just look on top of the thread and get an overview of where the vote is headed...

As for logging/tracking the data, Andrew is secretly selling all our posts (in bulk) to the Chinese government to raise money for a bunch more motorcycles
    62050 - Z8

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Love that cover.

Shall we page Bill Stuart??
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Bought my car out of Canada. Came with the cover and a bag to store it in.

I am the second owner of my car and received everything that been identified in various post on the site, except this cover. As an Alpina owner I even received two covers for the hard top, one that was in Alpina blue and the other was the standard one.

Mine's Canadian too . .

and it came with cover (bag is sewed on) and almost everything else mentioned except toy car and 'the book'.

Andrew, third and fourth choices are the same.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Andrew, third and fourth choices are the same.
    Opps, thanks - changed it! :-)

why is this data tracked?
    One of the reasons I'm tracking this is because as the Z8Club moves into producing special order parts for our cars I think this could be a great part to make available for members. If anyone has a part number for it I'd be interested to see if they are still available, but I somehow doubt that they are this far after the end of production. It seems like some cars had them, some didn't, but I really wasn't aware that some of the cars came with a full cover until now!
    I like the Chinese Govt idea too, I'll be calling them Monday first thing! ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pettit View Post
    why is this data tracked?
    My point was merely to make sure that everyone realized that there's a poll setup by Andrew to mathematically assess the issuance of the cover. It's much easier to analyze the poll results than count individual posts. It's not so much about "tracking" as it is ease of assessment.
    thegunguy

DSC Off
    I am assuming that this pole is for first owners. I do suspect that my car may have come with the cover. The owner seemed to have so many cars and had so little involvement into any of them.
    Wouldn't someone like Bill Stewart have some thoughts?

No cover here

My car came with all the "standard" stuff including book, scale car, telephone, etc.; however, did not come with this cover and my charger did not come with the vinyl pouch.

Voted accordingly.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Bill Stuart is away on his yearly break till mid-April, but honestly I don't expect that these covers are suddenly going to materialize in a big box somewhere. It seems so random that some cars did get them and some didn't, that I suspect that they were included, or left out, as the cars left the factory, especially as they seem to be exactly the same in the EU as here. My guess is that the cover manufacturers didn't get them to BMW in regular good time, so some cars went out with, and some without?

If there is enough demand for a run of covers maybe we could try to find out who was the manufacturer, and order another batch.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post

If there is enough demand for a run of covers maybe we could try to find out who was the manufacturer, and order another batch.
    Count me in.
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar

It is still available...

The "indoor car cover" for the Z8 (E52), that is the official BMW name for the part, was never a part of the standard equipment. It is still available at BMW dealerships and the BMW part-number is 82 150 018 224. I know for sure that some dealerships gave the car cover to the first owners as a special gift because it matches the cover for the hardtop perfectly, which was standard equipment and came with the car. It is made of the same material and has the same printed Z8 logo. The price in Germany at the moment (Jan 2010) is about EUR 240,- (US $336).
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

Thanks Juergen, I could swear my Car cover is a smoother, more reflective material than the the hard top.

New car covers available!

I bought a new Z8 car cover at my local BMW dealer in July of 2009. It looks just like the picture, same color, "Z8" Logo.
    _________
    Andy Lytle
    2002 Z8 Silver/Black 23k
    Performance Package
    CDV Removed
    www.golytle.com

Great news J?rgen, thanks for the part # and the info!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar
    I have the original, but I have bought a very nice one from "california car cover" and the quality is much better..it also cost around 300/400$ and fits perfecly
    Luigi
    2001 Z8 Black-Red

Then you bought a true car cover, designed for indoor / outdoor use. BMW should rename their covers to "Dust Cover" as they are intended for indoor use only where there is no breeze to cause the cover to move and scratch the paint.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Sport Button On - DSC Off jpklecker's Avatar
    My car came with a choice of indoor (the shown cover) or an outdoor cover; I chose the indoor one. The dealer gave me the choice at the time that I purchased the car new in October of 2002.
    John Klecker - 2002 Topaz / Crema (61782)

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar

cover

the one I bought is for inside use only and is very soft..... I''ll post a pic later .
    The BMW one gave me the impression of making tiny scratches
    probably it is not, but with a black car you always notice something
    now I am charging the battery and then I' take the pic.
    Luigi
    2001 Z8 Black-Red

I don't think it was the cover that made the scratches. BMW used a special soft black paint that can trace the lines your eyes make in the car as you look at it. It was a secret beta test of the new Efficient Dynamics program, and was designed to allow them to see how often your eyes lovingly caress the car. The only problem is they made it too sensitive, so every person, animal and insect whose eyes gaze upon the Z8's black beauty leaves a scratch. I understand after the trails on the Z8 they decided that the paint was a mixed blessing, and would only be used in very specific applications. Of course they decided it would perfect for the new Rolls Royce, a car so hideous that no one would ever look at it, ensuring its black paint would remain perfect for all time.
    Andrew Macpherson

I bought my Alpina new in 2003 and it did NOT come with the cover. I suspect these may have been a dealer giveaway rather than a standard accessory as someone already posted.

They used soft paint on everything. I think that every Z owner that I know complains and when they have body work done, they get a better quality of paint.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

DSC Off
    In general, modern cars are painted with a water-based paint. I believe that most repairs are done with a more traditional paint system. Water-based paints are clearly more vulnerable to chips and scratches.

Sport Button On

Got one

Got one custom made from California Car Cover. Works great.

I use the "Dustop" from Cal Car Cover. It works great - there is no dust on the shelf where it sits.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off

carcover

My made to fit cover is flannel on the inside and more of a twill outer surface, purchased from Griot's Garage. Have had it since I purchased the Z8 new. Been very pleased.

Pandaman

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    I use the "Dustop" from Cal Car Cover. It works great - there is no dust on the shelf where it sits.

Mine too! With a black car you can't win. If you put it on when the car is clean, it still needs some work when it comes off. If you drive the car once, it's too dirty to put the cover on it and risk scratching. Besides, I like to look at her naked in the garage every day...the car naked, that is.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I bought my car new. It did not come with the cover.

I did not vote in the poll as I am not in the USA or Europe.

Sport Button On
    My car 00 - 60153 (I think) came with indoor cover. Pouch sewn on.

DSC Off
    My car is a 2000 #60109 and I believe that the cover came with this vehicle. Being the second owner however, I can't be sure. Is it possible that the cover was included with the early cars?

LarryG

Z8 Novice
    Also got the cover for the hard top.

DSC Off
    It is my understanding that all of the cars came with the cover for the hard top.

Per Jurgen's post:

"The "indoor car cover" for the Z8 (E52), that is the official BMW name for the part, was never a part of the standard equipment. It is still available at BMW dealerships and the BMW part-number is 82 150 018 224"

I called Advantage BMW here in Houston and was told that it is out of production and could NOT be ordered. Very irritating.

I am the only owner and was not offered the cover when I purchased my car in Dec. 2002. Now I want one.
    Frank Falbey
    62069 - Red // Crema

DSC Off
    Hi Frank,
    My car is missing the black pouch for the battery tender. Maybe we could trade my cover for your pouch??
    Regards,
    LarryG

I am an Original 2003 owner, mine did NOT include the car cover as 'included equipment". Bought mine separately and is an indoor cover as mentioned above. However, at the time i ordered, I do not recall having an option of an outdoor cover so I think BMW only made an indoor cover.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    My car is a 2000 #60109 and I believe that the cover came with this vehicle. Being the second owner however, I can't be sure. Is it possible that the cover was included with the early cars?
    My 2003 came with the cover.
    62050 - Z8

I'm the 3rd owner of my car and it came with the original nylon cover with the bag sewn in (as documented by the prior 2 owners). This cover is OK but I prefer not to put it on the car as the material is not very soft. After I purchased my car I picked up an eBay ad for an NOS Z8 car cover in Germany. The seller claimed it was made out of the same material as the HT cover (which is very soft on the inside). I gave it a shot (I think i paid $450) and received the same cover that Mac shows in the first post. It is a far superior cover and I'm OK with putting it on the car (much softer material). Both the cover and bag have the Z8 logo. If you're interested, I know that the seller has more available. His name is Karl and he'll be glad to hear from you (Ikark@gmx.de). Happy Shopping! Cheers...
    61744 Red///Red

Team Z8

No car cover and no hardtop...

but I got the hardtop cover and storage dolly...go figure?

The OEM soft cover is still available from BMW and it's $370 list. With your BMW CCA membership card you can get up to a 25% discount. I bought a second one about eight months ago for $295.96 plus tax. Just go to your local BMW dealership -- P/N 82-15-0-018-224.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

Great lead, I just emailed Matt at Peter Pan to see if he can get me one.
    Andrew Macpherson

If he can't, and I can't see why not, let me know and we'll get my guy at Long Beach BMW on it.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

I too didn't have one from new but bought one from California Car Covers. I purchased the indoor cover and it fits like a glove. I have used their outdoor covers for other cars and although they are more bulky they provide protection from falling fruit from our overhanging palm trees.

Sport Button On
    I have owned 4 Z8's and all had the car cover and hard top cover with them.

DSC Off
    I bought the best from California Car Cover. Not happy because it cannot be used with the convertible soft top as it leaves all kinds of lint on the car top from the inside cover material. A real bear to get this lint off. They have not responded to my requests for help. Too bad, I heard they were good... The original Z8 one that came with the car does not have this problem, but it is thin.
    Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Z8LVR View Post
    Solutions?

Tom
    This is typical of those sexy lingerie covers, specially when they're new.

Get a couple of lint rollers from Walmart, Target, grocery store, etc. and just roll it over the Z8 top. Should be all gone in a couple of rollovers. I do it prior to Concours judging and the judges have never noticed any lint. Also works on the inside of the soft top and on the carpets/mats if you don't have time to vacuum.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

DSC Off
    That's a great idea... Thanks!

Tom

I like the Covercraft Dustop. No lint, and it's dust-free as advertised.
    thegunguy

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Not sure which cover I got from California Car Cover but it is ultra soft and does not leave any lint on my convertible top. Think it was like $350.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

You could try putting the original one on first

And the linty version on top - it'll give you more protection...

Quote Originally Posted by Z8LVR View Post
    I bought the best from California Car Cover. Not happy because it cannot be used with the convertible soft top as it leaves all kinds of lint on the car top from the inside cover material. A real bear to get this lint off. They have not responded to my requests for help. Too bad, I heard they were good... The original Z8 one that came with the car does not have this problem, but it is thin.
    Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

Tom

A bit of a pain but a good idea!

DSC Off
    Thanks! When I put the Z8 away for a long time, like three days or something, I do cover it with both tops; the silky type original then the heavier Cal. cover for protection as it is quite a bit thicker. Works.

Tom