Thread: shifter knob replacing

Z8 Novice

shifter knob replacing

how do I remove the shifter knob ?/ I bought a new one and I don't know how to replace it ,I know macfly responded to some body before and he did say he replaced his.

I have not removed my Z8 knob, but I have taken them out of other Z's and it should be the same.

Firmly pull up and twist.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Z8 Novice
    Scott, just pull on the knob really hard. Hard enough that you must keep your head turned to the side or you will hit your self in the face.

DSC Off
    I replaced my shift knob and hand brake cover recently. I suspect that the transport driver was wearing a heavy ring on his right hand and scratched the soft aluminum. If you grab the knob firmly with both hands and apply a quick and strong upward force, the knob should free itself. To fit the new piece, just position it properly, place a soft cloth over it, and strike it firmly with the palm of your hand one or more times. It should click into place.
    LarryG

I am giving my interior a "tune up" that includes a new shift knob, hand brake cover and center console. I understand the procedure described above for replacing the shifter knob. Any guidance on the aluminum covered hand brake cover and the plastic center console?
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

A firm pull will slide it off the brake handle.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

It is my understanding that the colored hand brake grip is not sold as a separate piece from the hand brake assembly and the color grip, is incorporated into the actual handle. The only part that is replaceable without replacing the whole unit is the aluminum trim / ring piece,
    BMW P/N 34 41 1 166 001 and is a whopping $95 ( OUCH ).
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102