Thread: iPhone set-up for my Z8

iPhone set-up for my Z8

I recently got an iPhone and wondered if anyone has come up with the best hands-free bluetooth solution for using my iPhone in my Z8.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar
    I remeber that BMW had a bluetooth interface, you should check with your dealer. If you find it please let me know.
    Luigi
    2001 Z8 Black-Red

BMW's current BT system stinks and is only compatible with a few phones / carriers (I just went through this with them) so I imagine that the older system is even worse. So be prepared for a long road ahead in getting a decent connection. The issue with the current system is that you CAN establish a connection but once you turn off the car, it will not automatically connect.

A GREAT solution is to have a Parrot BT system installed. I have one in our Escalade and we have never had a problem.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

BT works flawlessly in my 2006 X5 with iPhone 3GS. Connects every time. Actually, it's the same one that you can add to the Z8. It's made by Motorola. There are two models coded and temp/pairing versions. Once they moved to iDrive, they went with a customer programed code version, and I cannot remember who makes this one.

Really, the best BT option for the Z8 is to replace the standard head (which is ticking time-bomb anyway) with one that gives you the features you want.
    thegunguy

A great HU is an Alpine. I have one with the iPod interface. Works and sounds great.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Z8Mania
    I just use a headset for convertible driving- it works better.

I don't talk to anyone in the car. It works as intended.

Hey, Jerry! Long time no see. How's the blue F-car collection?
    thegunguy

I don't use the phone in the Z8 at all, it's way too loud with my exhaust, and besides, Z8'ing is my get away from all that time!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    All is great. Blue F Cars are great. Added a red one with a stripe. Selling one of the blue ones- the spider. Ill post it up in case anyone is interested.

The Alpine fits, looks and works great. You get Ipod, mp3, Bluetooth and Sirus compatability. You do lose the gps function though.
    joshb
    2002 silver/ red/black

Glad to hear you're well, Jerry. Stop by more often! Are you in line for a 458?
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Thanks! Yes Im in line but I think I will pass on the 458 and wait for the scud version. Im really loving the 430 scud- its a terrific sports car and I think the 458 will be even more so. However I'm also keeping an eye open on the new McLaren... You know they will do a special version of that as well.... But I have digressed...

It will certainly be interesting to see if McLaren can pull off a Scud beater, but even if they do I won't be in line for one. I know I'm getting older these days, as I just don't need to go that fast on the road anymore. I think doing all those track days filled my cup of speed, and I'm just not that interested in madly priced fast road cars when I know a Caterham/Radical/Lotus 211 will be so much more fun at the track, and a B7/SL etc will be so much more civilized on the street.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Thats the truth Andrew. But those are open cars- we saw what happened to Massa.... An Exige would be great too but the Ferraris of this world press other buttons that speak to our passion as well.