Thread: One of One Stratus/Red to Debut in Park City, Utah

Smile One of One Stratus/Red to Debut in Park City, Utah

Hi everyone. I am excited to announce that I am the proud new owner of the 2002 stratus/red. I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. It will have a new home high in the Utah mountains among the greatest snow on earth! This is my fifth BMW...but my first Z8. I recently sold my red/black 2004 Z4 (3,800 original miles). Yes, that probably answers any questions about how much I will be driving this dream car. I look forward to chatting with the Club. Merridee

Congratulations and welcome!!

That is a really great and unique car, and one I really wish I'd been able to buy, but sadly the last owner blocked me from getting it, and now it is yours. As you know there are several shots of the car in the Gallery, and it was also featured in Roundel in the Monterey '08 story. Once you get it I'd love to come and do some shots of it in its new home for the Z8 book that we are making. It is still at least a year away from completion, maybe more, but that car needs some hero pictures, and I can't think of a better location for it!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Andrew. My hat is off to you! You were my first contact with the Club in my quest for a great Z8. You were very gracious and full of wonderful information. I am very aware that I am getting the proverbial Holy Grail of US Z8's. Little did I know my search would lead to such a great car. I now have to be patient and await its arrival....as well as the snow to melt to take a first ride. Yes, of course I would be honored to have you take pics for the upcoming Z8 book! And, yes, Park City and the surrounding area would make a fantasic backdrop for this unique and special car. When you do plan a trip you are welcome to stay with us. We have plenty of room. Park City is a charming town. Again, thanks so much for your help. I look forward to meeting you in the future. merridee.

Welcome and enjoy a very special car! But be careful, the last time an invitation went out to explore a pretty region of the US, we got 15 Z8's and their owners to make reservations for a summer gathering. Shall we start booking Park City for 8/11?

Z8 Madness
    Congratulations and welcome
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Shall we start booking Park City for 8/11?
    You know that isn't a terrible idea as it happens, I'd kept this map in my 'one day' folder for a while, and sort of planned on using the Miller Motor Sport area as a drop off point for a run north through Yellowstone up to Glacier National Park and back. I'm not exactly sure how long this tour would be, but my guess it is a two week circle.

On the subject of tours there will be a new car weekend on the calendar in Santa Fe starting this year, if it looks good it might give us reason to do another Meet In The Middle in the future, but I'd suggest we all truck our cars into the Denver area, and then drive south to Aspen, Telluride, and on to Santa Fe, shipping our cars home after the event. As much as I loved doing the drive to Santa Fe from LA, once was enough!

Andrew Macpherson

Both trips sound terrific. Old Faithful Lodge books up more than a year in advance; time for a participation survey?

Count me in -- The near the end from Billings through Red Lodge and on to the Northeast entrance to Yellowstone is some of the most beautiful vistas around -- it is called the Beartooth Passage. Peaks out at 11,500 ft and expect scattered snow on the sides of the road at the peak but the road will be open that time of year. There is a nice turnout right at the top for a photo stop too (but alas, no Bavarian lodge like we had when driving to Brescia to Lago di Garda!).

That is a great drive and one I will not want to miss. The Yellowstone / Old Faithful Lodge definitely is a must but you are right, if that is something we want to do.... we have to book it asap if we ever wish to have a chance of the group staying there.

P.S. Welcome, great color combo!
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Is the "2 week" a typo? It looks like a 2 day drive.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

If you wanted to do it in two 18 hour days maybe, but I'm thinking two nights at each spot with a local tour, hike sauna etc on the in between days, so say five or six different destinations for twelve nights out.
    Andrew Macpherson

That's my problem. I can be a hardcore driver and press on. I rode my bike in the 3 Flags Classic in '83. Rode from Tijuana to Winnemucca, NV, slept a few hours then on to Coeur d' Alene, ID (more sleep) by way of (almost) Salt Lake City (made a wrong turn-that's another story) then to the finish in Penticton, BC.

Park City has a great year round toboggan run. I had thought of driving (1 day) do the run then drop down to the Grand Canyon.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Hello Andrew, I would be up for this trip any reason to drive the car and have a good time with the club.

Chuck lkychuk

I would agree ...

with Andrew and stay and extra night / day a few places and there is much to see and do in the area, even a few half day drives at the stop overs for those interested. Yellowstone, for example, is the size of the State of West Virginia but only a figure 8 main road with a few side roads. The drive east to Cody, Wyoming is only about 2 hours and a nice days outing there and back with some great vistas as you drop into some desert area and a nice Western Museum there too or exploring many of the sites in Yellowstone or spend the day fishing for 26 inch Cutthroat Trout in Lake Yellowstone for the surrounding streams (the only trout that lives in the Yellowstone Lake). Legend has it that you can catch your trout and cook it on the way up due to the hot springs that bubble up around the perimeter of the lake!! Probably could do this trip in 10 days with a few extra days here or there. The BearTooth passage from Billings to Yellowstone (Mammoth Springs) will take all day driving, especially if you want to stop for some photo ops and enjoy some of the sites. Heck, you could spend an entire week in Yellowstone and still not see all there is to see as it is quite a unique place (did you know that 90% of the WORLDS geysers are located in Yellowstone?!!) -- Just incredible and more incredible that the US Government over a 100 years ago had the fore sight and wisdom to put it aside for all to enjoy (unlike the short sightedness in Washington we have today.

A few pictures of Yellowstone may entice everyone to attend -- first is Mammoth Hot Springs, Lower Falls / Yellowstone Canyon (this is taken from Artist Point but for reference, the water fall is 308 ft Tall -- about 3/4 the size of a California Coastal Redwood !!), Next is Sleeping Giant Mountain east of the lake and lastly, a few American Bison (which you definitely do not want to hit with your Z8 as they roam free in the park and are not afraid of people at all but will chase you -- I know from experience ).

Best Regards,

Jeff

It all looks fantastic. Hard to commit yet, but I'd like to do it for sure.

I understand that for sure Norcal considering this is so far out as we are talking about Summer 2011 !
    Best Regards,

Jeff

If I still own the car, I'd be interested in going along. I may talk Fred Kern into coming out with me.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

If we do plan to go to Yellowstone -- keep in mind that the park has about 2 million visitors per year with over half of those from May through September which is why Ken suggested booking the Old Faithful Inn early and at least a year out.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

I'm not sure I can book out so far in advance either, but lets keep kicking the ball around, and see what kind of plan we can come up with.

I think we should start a new thread for suggestions of where to stay etc, and make a loose plan for 2011 or 2012 over here.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Santa Fe, Utah, Montana

Andrew,
    Whats happening in Santa Fe this year? Regarding Montana and Utah maybe we can get Grease Monkey to come along and show us his Z8. Its right in his back yard.
    I would like to be counted in,
    Pandaman

Dennis, the BMW CCA folks told me about it, it is some kind of concours that they are starting in Santa Fe, but I don't have any more details than that as yet.

It would be great to have you on the Yellowstone/Glacier drive, but at this point it is just a very rough idea, and will only become a plan if there is enough interest.
    Andrew Macpherson