Thread: A beautiful new BMW V8

A beautiful new BMW V8

I had the good fortune to bump into the new Morgan as I was heading to lunch yesterday. I saw a stunning looking car pulling into the car park of the Chateau Marmont, which is just down the street from me. I walked up to have a look, and started to chat to the driver about it. Before long I realized he wasn't just the driver, but he was the Morgan! Charles Morgan, grandson of company founder H.F.S.Morgan, was in town doing the US launch of the new Aero Supersport, and was just returning from Jay Leno, where it was being filmed for an upcoming issue of Jay's Garage for those of you that follow it.

The car weighs just 2400 lbs and uses BMW's 4.4l V8 automatic that makes 380hp (You can upgrade it to almost 500 with Alpina!) so it goes really briskly, and is very elegant indeed. Anyhow, enough of the chatter, here is Charles Morgan with his lovely Limited Edition Aero Supersports.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Wow! What great fortune. Beautiful evolution of the Aero. A bit old Bugatti from the rear. Those wheels would look nice on my Z8?

As a Morgan owner, I would love to have met him.

Did you attend the reception that is in the photos?
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Charles is an extremely bright, funny and interesting man. He was a news cameraman for ITN (Independant Televison News) and spent a lot of time in Afghanistan. While talking about our collective pasts I told him I'd worked for Snowdon, and it turned out we'd been on a shoot together in 1984!

He also knew my dad really well, so it was really a great experience getting to meet him, and so spontaneously get invited to the very private launch party for the car. All the pictures were done on the driveway right above the house where the car's LA launch party was held, shown below in one of the most famous architectural pictures ever.

There is no question that I'll be buying a Morgan if my book succeeds, but I want a two seater convertible version of this new car with a 450hp tuned version of that engine and a manual box.

Andrew Macpherson

Lot's of interesting thoughts on this car.

Does it have a wood subframe and if so, what kind of torque is that power plant going to put on it?

Are they developing a a full convertible? If I am not mistaken, the version displayed is a convertible with the hard top in place.

The one downside, albeit minor, is that as beautiful as this car is, many folks will wonder if it is a kit car or replica along the lines of the Excaliber and Cord.

On the upside, a British car that doesn't leak is a good thing.

Have you seen Charles' book "100 Years Of Morgan's"?

Have they settled on a price?

You mentioned a book, what are you writing about?
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Scott, if you follow the link I put in the first post all your questions about the car will be answered, except for the price, it looks to be set at around $170k. They already have a full convertible version on offer, the Aero, but the rear end isn't as pretty as this cars, and I understand that they will be redesigning it soon. If you have any specific questions that you can't find answered on the Morgan website let me know, as I'm having lunch with Charles in the next couple of days.
    Andrew Macpherson

If you will ask Charles if and when he will be in NorCal, I would love to meet him and have him sign his book. I tried while was in England but they have NEVER replied to any email that I have sent even when it was to inquire about sales.

Also, I would be happy to put the word out to the Z community as there are several of us who own Morgans. I would also be happy to do that with the Vintage Car community.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

I know they will be bringing a new car to Monterey this year, so you can see him there for sure.
    Andrew Macpherson

Too busy that month so I won't be there. I am hoping that he will be coming to SFO.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Andrew,
    Is the interior any larger than the old one? I love the car, but it was too small for me.

Joe

Joe, I didn't actually sit in the car, so I can't answer that for sure, but Jay is a pretty large guy, and if he can fit in it I guess it is ok.
    Andrew Macpherson