Thread: Axxis ceramic brake pads

DSC Off

Smile Axxis ceramic brake pads

German brake pads are notoriously dusty. Has anyone had experience with the Axxis ceramic brake pads. I have used them on other vehicles with excellent results.
    LarryG

Only issue I have had using ceramic brake pads is the warm up time while driving them. Once they get hot they will work great but at the same time extra dust from them.

Might look into Pagid or Brembo / ATE

DSC Off
    When I brought my ceramic Axxis pads to my shop they strongly suggested that I should consider Akebono pads. Apparently they produce very little dust and perform quite well. These seem to have been a good choice.
    LarryG

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    German brake pads are notoriously dusty. Has anyone had experience with the Axxis ceramic brake pads. I have used them on other vehicles with excellent results.
    LarryG
    I have the Axxis on my Z8 and all my other BMWs and love them. I don't feel a difference in "the bite" when cold between the OEM pads and the Axxis, but I can tell the "flex" difference between the Z8s steel OEM calipers and the aluminum Brembos on a couple of my other cars. All in my head? Maybe.

BTW, when I changed the pads I also put in steel braided lines and I feel a firmer brake pedal.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

I had the Axxis pads on one of my early Z8's and they did make a lot less dust, and I didn't notice any loss in braking performance to OEM pads.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I must be getting old as the brake dust from the factory pads has finally gotten to me. I like the performance/feel of the stock brakes but would prefer less dust.

Has anyone used the StopTech Street Performance pads? They came recommended by Dave Zeckhausen at zeckhausen.com as an alternative to the Axxis deluxe pads - more dust than the Axxis pads (but less than stock) and same performance or better than stock pads.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/BMW/Z8.htm

I just had my pads switched to low dust pads (don't know which.. will check). All felt good, until some high speed runs on the Oregon trip, when they started to smell.. badly! Then when we stopped at Thunder Hill raceway for a few hours of hot laps, they really smelled... then went mushy. Not so sure I should have switched. If I want to stay with low dust pad, I'll need something better, or just drive slower... Nah!

Stoptech Street Performance brake pads

I've had the Stoptech Street Performance pads on my car for about a week now. Brakes feel great! Very good cold bite and overall I think they perform better than the stock pads although I could be feeling the placebo effect.

Old pads had about 11K miles and had plenty of life left. I just got tired of cleaning the wheels after a couple of short drives. The new pads feel exactly like the stock pads and so far I'd say the brake dust is about half of the factory pads so I'm very happy with them!

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    I just had my pads switched to low dust pads (don't know which.. will check). All felt good, until some high speed runs on the Oregon trip, when they started to smell.. badly! Then when we stopped at Thunder Hill raceway for a few hours of hot laps, they really smelled... then went mushy. Not so sure I should have switched. If I want to stay with low dust pad, I'll need something better, or just drive slower... Nah!
    I had the Axxis pads on my Z8 during our "Fast and Furious" weekend in the Central Coast in 2008. You know we exercised our brakes quite a bit and mine never faded or smelled. I also have them on my M3, which goes autocrossing and some track days, and never had a fade or smelling issue.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver