Thread: Hello: New to the fourm.

Hello: New to the fourm.

Well what can I say, , but I'm new to the forum. I met your forum founder Andrew and had a nice chat with him about my R&D employment at BMW AG. I was there from late '97 and survived till 00. I worked with all of the people from Germany and also some famous people like Robert Fassil during the summer Z8's pre production prototype testing, including the Death Valley testing.

There were a lot of very interesting people at the BMW NA workshop at the time, who talked to me about their battles on the Nordschleife, Autobahn and being detained in Switzerland for excessive speed (20km over the posted limit ).

During my adventure there this was when VW/Rover/Mini and the Germans were taking over most of the British marques. Still it was a treat to see , I got to see the good side and the bad side of it like when the British and German Engineers would argue over issues.

When I was there he Z8 was in R&D test cycle and when I 1st saw it the work shop manager asked me what I thought of it - myself surprised to see it in real life and I said it looked like the roadster they originally made :0). During the R&D test cycle BMW put well over 300,000 miles on it in the USA.

One car I didn't get to drive was the 750i SWB. Yes (i) with a manual 6speed gear box and LSD - it was a full M-teh version and that thing was straight out insanity.
    Another batch of cars I would stay away from would be the M-cars. All of the USA co-drivers who drove those things would just find them self's in a cluster F of problems, Mainly speeding tickets.

I was happy driving the Rovers on the off road trails or the 323i 5speed. The slowest car I drove was the BMW 323ix auto wagon, only got 1 speeding ticket for 30mph in a 25mph, slow night for the cop. One spin out and no damage to the E46 only popped the air bags.

I will post one of my letters that gave me permission to drive the cars while at BMW. no I didn't work for a dealer but the manufacturer.

Look forward to chatting with everyone else.

Hi Karim, great to see you here, and look forward to hearing more about the Z8's development cycle.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Hi Karim, great to see you here, and look forward to hearing more about the Z8's development cycle.
    Thanks again, well all I can say BMW AG was boot camp for me, since 1st shift had to be rolling out of the gate at the work shop 5am sharp + that meant leaving the house at 4:30am and speeding down the 405 to the Marina work shop.

I will have a lot of info to share as well with the development on the car .

Thanks, and welcome! I look forward to all the messy details. Must have been an adventure to be with BMW at that time.

Welcome! the backround you relayed is great. Any pics of the development process you can post?
    Joshb
    2002 silver/red/black

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Thanks, and welcome! I look forward to all the messy details. Must have been an adventure to be with BMW at that time.
    Yeah, it was a real drivers experience I can say in many words we had to drive the cars to the limits but not return the car to the workshop in one piece. Robert the head R&D driver for the department was always on my case about things but I gave him no room to complain. I have many battle stories on the rd while driving but always safety 1st. My drivers test to work with them was something very complex yet simple

steep hill
    no parking brake
    5speed
    not to roll back and just roll forward w/o burning up the clutch.

we would have special driver safety courses / aka track days but we would pull the ABS and DSC fuse and learn how to drive on wet surfaces. very interesting. there was a lot of z8 driving in the snow in the winter time on hwy 2.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
    Welcome! the backround you relayed is great. Any pics of the development process you can post?
    Joshb
    2002 silver/red/black
    I have some photos not of the z8 but the 323ix wagon and the x5 on the route. :0)

I do have my letters will post.