Thread: navigation system

Z8 Novice

Smile navigation system

hi guys I just bought a 2000 z8 . my navi system shows on the radio display (loading software please insert a valid cd-rom) any body knows if this means that the navi brains need replace??? I know the cd-rom I have is good also went to the dealer and got a new cr-rom , that did not work. the dealer say the sa606 unit is probably bad . any ideas??? the mesage stays until I disconnect the navigations system 2 plugs blue and white then the radio display comes on .PLEASE HELP > does any body have a sa606 unit ??? for sale

The OEM head units are notoriously problematic, if you do a search for 'radio', and you'll find a lot of threads about it, so my guess is that is where the issue lies. Your best bet is to either try to get a new one through BMW, or failing that most owners have opted to use the Alpine head unit as a replacement.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    what is a alpine head unit???? is that an after market???

On the top navigation bar you'll see the word Search - try it, you'll find most of your questions answered there.

Yes, Alpine make car stereos, and no, I don't know what model people have used because I didn't buy one, I never turn the radio on in my car, the my exhaust system would drown it out completely anyway!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

There are lots of 1DIN options, but it depends on what features you want.
    thegunguy