Thread: how many Z8s left in the US?

how many Z8s left in the US?

So here in Switzerland, the main auto web site www.autoscout.ch has 11 Z8s for sale with photos of the back of the car (so you can tell if it is a US or Europe model) and 6 of them are from the US. I brought my car from the US. I noticed that the car in the Z8 crash thread is also a US car in Germany. One of the list members just sold his car to Germany. It is just anecdotal, but with the dollar so low and the resale on Z8s suffering from the economy in the US, there must be a massive number of cars heading across the pond right now. Not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned, will make my Z8 even rarer when I get back to the US.

Almost every other Z8 I hear of being sold these days is leaving the US, however I would estimate that in the early days that as many as 150 EU Spec '00 & '01 Z8's made it over this way because the currency favored the dollar. My first one was an EU car, I paid $105,000 when there wasn't a dealer in the country who'd talk to me for under $175,000.

I think that maybe 200 to 300 have returned to Europe over the last twelve months, and not just because of price, also because US owners tend to treat their cars much more kindly, keeping mileage low and condition high, while many of the cars in the EU just get used up.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Madness
    US is also losing cars to Canada. However, in terms of value, I don't know if this has as big of an impact on the long term values of Z8s in US, as those cars can be brought back to US fairly easily (I think?).
    62050 - Z8

Yep, thank goodness for the high flying Loonie (or is that a sinking Greenback?). In any case, Z8 economics are currently slightly in our favour here in Canada. Even after GST (5%), duty (6.1%), enclosed transport, brokerage fees, inspection fees and the BMW recall letter (BMW Canada gets the final gouge = $500 for a piece of paper) it still makes sense right now to import from the US, particularly when you consider the vastly greater selection. BTW, the only Z8 available in Canada right now is a 2001 Silver/Red (AH60699) with ~ 15,500 kilometers on it. I've seen it and it looks good but it's been in an accident (returned to the dealer by the last owner when he found out - no details available) and it's missing the book, spare keys, car cover, top cover, screen cover, performance package, etc., etc., etc. They were asking $135K CDN. Now dropped to $125K CDN (~119K US). That's a deal compared to the original Canadian MSRP ($195K) but they're still going to have a tough time selling it, especially if the Loonie continues to soar against the US dollar. I wonder if duty has to be paid again to repatriate a car to the US? It really shouldn't apply twice in the same country...
    61744 Red///Red

Z8 Madness
    Well, since a US car making its way back to US from canada already has EPA approval, correct labeling, etc. etc., I assume it would be easy to bring it back home. The state tax and license fee is 100% guarantied to apply (as it does to US cars sold within US). I just don't know about Duty at the Customs port.
    62050 - Z8