Thread: Z8 accident.........

Z8 accident.........

Seen on the (German) Mobile.de............

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/sh...g=&tabNumber=2

Oddly enough that is a US spec car that has been reimported, and it still has its US Spec rear lights in place, so I wonder if this damage was the result of a shipping accident? I couldn't see the VIN anywhere to see if it was a car we knew about, but I imagine it would be really hard to repair it, and most likely the car wasn't yet covered by German insurance. Either way it is a sad mess!

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I guess the chassis must be replaced, so is 35000 euro's reasonable?

Very sad. Repairable or parts car I wonder? I guess the very minor silver lining is as time marches on and these things happen all other Z8s become more valuable.
    Joshb
    2002 silver/ red/ black

Parts car sounds good. The club should buy it. Just the seats must be worth 4k, motor 10k, dash, switches, door pulls, radio (or not!)......??

Seen at the Forum of our German Z8 Friends..... For those of us who can read German:

http://www.zroadster.com/forum/bmw_z...alsschlag.html

Team Z8

Looks like it was once well cared for...

The owner had the Performance kit installed. Surprising how many Z8 owners I've spoken with have never heard of the Performance kit/fix.

For those of us who can't read German, what was the story on the German site?
    Andrew Macpherson

I have been in touch with this owner several times.

The owner imported the Z8 from the US after long search for a good one. He collected the car in Germany somewhere and drove it home with temp license plates. On his way home he had the accident on a wet road and spun along a guard rail. Unfortunately, as he was using temp license plates, there is no insurance to cover this.

Very sad story, being the proud owner for a couple of hours and then having to write it off almost completely.

The frame is said to be undamaged, however, I doubt it looking at the nature of the damages.
    Best regards, Dieter

I thought that insurance must be secured for shipping and certianly before you get permanent plates so I hope that the total loss aspect of this story is not correct.
    Joshb
    2002 silver/ red/ black

What a sad story, poor guy, my sympathy goes out to him.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
    I thought that insurance must be secured for shipping and certianly before you get permanent plates so I hope that the total loss aspect of this story is not correct.
    Joshb
    2002 silver/ red/ black
    The legally required insurance must cover any damages to opponent's cars only, but not the damages on the own car. It is not legally required to have a coverage for your own car.
    Best regards, Dieter

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    For those of us who can't read German, what was the story on the German site?

Thank you Dieter

Very sad story indeed, but I am wondering why he did not insure the car full coverage on chassis number during the process.....

Quote Originally Posted by RRZ8 View Post
    Thank you Dieter

Very sad story indeed, but I am wondering why he did not insure the car full coverage on chassis number during the process.....
    Well, I guess that's a good question that he has been asking himself over the past days.
    Best regards, Dieter

Z8 Madness
    Very sad. I hope he finds a way to recover some of his investment. I think if he has the time to part it out, it will pay the most in the long run.
    62050 - Z8

Yikes, I'm calling my insurance company...
    61744 Red///Red

2 lessons for all of us;

1) drive carefully....
    2) double check your insurance