Thread: Replacing the cabin (micro) filters

Replacing the cabin (micro) filters

A couple of months ago I changed the cabin microfilter in my M3 and since that car is now a few years old, the filter was dirty as expected (the cabin microfilter cleans the air coming into the cabin). It then occurred to me that the Z8 cabin filters (two of them) had never been replaced and since it is so easy to access them, I decided to take a look. To me surprise the Z8 filters were almost as dirty as the M3?s. The photo below shows a new filter and those that came out of my car.

Of course, I live in Los Angeles, but my Z8 had less than 7K miles on the clock and it?s not like I drive it in heavy (dirty) traffic. In fact, most of the miles are from two trips to Monterey and several outings with the other owners, which are usually somewhere by the beach and out of central Los Angeles.

In any event, replacing the filters took less than 30 minutes, which is less time than it would take to drive the car to the dealership and pick it back up.

I ordered the filters from my local dealer (P/N 64 31 9 071 932), who shipped them to me via UPS. With the BMW CCA 20% discount and including shipping, the total cost for both was $65.92.

Replacing them is quite simple. First, open the hood. At the back end near the windshield, there is a plastic cover (bubble) with four torx screws (T-20), shown in the photo below.

Remove the torx screws and the cover pops off to uncover the filters, as shown in the photo below.

Pop the old filters out, notice in the photo below that there are a handful of pop-off clips that hold them in place.

Use a screwdriver and snap the clips off gently. Pop the new filters in, snap the clips back on and put the plastic cover (bubble) back on making sure that it fits snuggly. Screw the torx screws back on. That?s it, you?re ready to drive.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Great step-by-step, thanks. Not sure if mine have been done, but I'll check them. (31k mi)

Sport Button On - DSC Off

cabin filters

Great tip. Thank you.
    Pandaman

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I replaced mine and they were as dirty as the ones in the photo and my car has 8,000 miles on it. I have a friend who is a service advisor at a local dealer so I got his employee discount, so I paid a little under $50 for both filters. I then came home and replaced them in about twenty minutes. Thanks for the tip Carlos!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Even easier tip...

forget the filters, drive with the top down.
    2002 Silver/Black
    No mods (except for new Alpine stereo)
    Seattle, WA

Z8 Madness
    Thanks for the write-up Carlos. I'm going to take a look at mine, but I hope they look bright white with only 100 miles on the car.
    62050 - Z8

Wow, your car turned 100 miles? It is starting to get up there.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8 Madness
    Marty, I'm now struggling with the decision to (1) sell the 62050 and get one that's already got 10-15K on it with PP installed or (2) invest the 5K to bring this one up to drivable condition and start using it
    62050 - Z8

Funny thing is I've now decided to sell my blue car too. Having a dead weight, can't drive it space taker just isn't fun, I want to have toys I can play with in my very small garage space.

I'm so happy with 61888, bought it new, done all the right upgrades, and will keep it for ever. So looking forward to the Pacific north west drive, putting the miles on it will be a joy and if it a patina of joy. Someone else can have the immaculate, can't use it Topaz mint one.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Madness
    Andrew, I think in the long run, your Topaz will be very rewarding. Think back about 3 years ago when the prices of an ultra low mile Z8 went from 110K to about 140K in a span of a year or so... Good times will come again, if we just make it past 2012!
    62050 - Z8

Yeah, but in the short run this is more rewarding....

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Madness
    Can't argue with that .... looks great! Congrats
    62050 - Z8

Hey Tony,
    Hindsight being 20/20, you should have sold the 03 if you do not plan on driving it and kept the one you sold. Now you need to decide if you want to sell the 03 and find another one as good as your 02 was or do the upgrades to the 03 and start enjoying it!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8 Madness
    Right or wrong, I reasoned that it would take less time to sell the older one. I kind of needed money fast when the property purchase came into equation.

I think the market for a 140K+ Z8 is very limited/complex. Being in a hurry to sell does not help either.
    62050 - Z8

Just a reminder to check your cabin microfilters. I always forget about these. I was really surprised how dirty they were with only 12K miles. Installation was a breeze... just 15 minutes. Just follow the directions from ///M Blitz.

I ordered from Pelican Parts and the 2 filters were $77 including shipping.