Thread: 2002 Z8 (#61528) - Sold

Kevin 61528 S/B

2002 Z8 (#61528) - Sold

Silver/Black, 61528, 18,861 miles, all the stuff, great shape

Is that Santa Fe?

Arrow

Yes, that's Kevin's car on the Santa Fe trip. Do you have the book, and how much are you asking for her?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Kevin 61528 S/B
    I'm looking for a mid $90K price, I ordered the car new, see pic.

Wow, thats a great price, good luck with your sale!
    Andrew Macpherson

Did you manage to sell your car ok?
    Andrew Macpherson

Kevin 61528 S/B
    Hi Andrew, I have not so much as got an offer at this point. Took it for a long drive the other day, unusally warm Colorado day in late March, forgot why I like this car so much. Still for sale, in no hurry. Thanks for asking.

DSC Off

z8 for sale

Kevin,
    It is late saturday night and still searching for a silver with black z8.
    Give me a call on Sunday.
    (410) 707-1831. I may be interested in your car.
    Craig.

did you guys work out the sale?
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

DSC Off

z8 for sale

I finally connected with Kevin over the weekend.
    I am interested in his car but still have a few others that I am looking at as well.
    Hard to pick which one I like more and a bit scared to pull the trigger.
    Is yours for sale?
    Any thoughts on how to choose one of another?
    ie: I am looking at two with 7k miles but neither are the original owners. One does not have the book and one does not have the original sticker.
    Kevin, on the other hand is the original owner and has everything but he has 18k miles on his which is a bit more than I was looking for. But, his car is allegedly clean and he again has everything. Tough call. Thoughts?
    Craig.

Personally I think it will come down to your use, and your desire. I would take a one owner car from a known source over a two owner car from an unknown one any day, and the mileage is one of those things that is entirely emotional, as the S62 is a 250,000 mile motor. If you are buying to keep for a long time, and do a lot of great drives in it over a decade or more the difference when you come to sell it will be between say 40 or 50,000 mile car, and that really won't matter. However if you want a low mileage garage queen, and plan to do only a couple of hundred miles a year or so, then maybe consider one of the two brand new ones going into that RM auction.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I have the exact same opinion.

With so much in the S62 driven by oil actuated components and all of the seals, I'd start to argue that some of these super low mileage cars might actually deserve a discount for those that wish to drive them. Quite simply, the S62 is a wonderfully reliable motor if it's driven regularly. However, it doesn't take to sitting.
    thegunguy

DSC Off

purchase of z8

Thank you all for your words of wisdom.
    I am down to 4 cars but leaning towards Kevin's for all of the reasons stated above.
    We spoke today and I am hoping we can reach a fair agreement by the end of this week.
    Wish me luck.
    Thanks again.
    Craig.

Indeed good luck, I am certain that this is a car you will be very happy with!
    Andrew Macpherson

Team Z8
    Good, thoughtful points by all! I too would go with the known commodity from day one, and take added comfort in knowing that the only owner was an obvious, knowledgable enthusiast.

Kevin 61528 S/B
    Craig and I reached an agreement today, I think you'll all like Criag, very enthusiastic about the car, it will be in good hands.

Best'

Congratulations to you both!
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off

My new toy

Thank you all for your words of wisdom and advice.
    This site has been invaluable to me in researching issues with the Z8 in general and ultimately in me connecting with Kevin and buying his car. Words can't describe how excited I am about this car!. Thanks again everyone for all of your advice and Kevin's toy will be in good hands.
    I already have a lift ready to keep it off the ground and away from the kids.
    Craig.

Welcome to the party! BTW, the disease only gets worse.

Z8Mania
    Congratulations to you both and welcome to the club Craig.

DSC Off

z8

Thank you and I know.

I have been a car guy my whole life (now 43). In my single days I totally customized a 93' mazda rx-7 which is insanely fast and which I still have.
    I also have an E39 Dinan S2 M5 so I know what I am getting into.
    Excited to get into this car as well!

ps: are any of you out there in the Maryland, D.C, Virginia area and are there any events coming up this summer?

Craig.

Build it and they will come.

Hey Craig, glad to see you pulled the trigger. You will be a happy driver!
    We spoke about the mods, my favorite is the quaife diff with a bit lower gearing. I think mine is 3.62. I also recommend the dinan susp, if you can still get the JRZ option.
    And the Eisenmann race exhaust is a perfect note if you like to hear the motor under throttle but dont want it intruding in normal driving.
    Just my .02 cents. Enjoy the ride, John

Congratulations from Chesapeake, VA

Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

DSC Off

z8 purchase

Thank you all.
    Kevin has the quaife differential but never installed it.
    I am flying out to Denver this friday to inspect the car and close the deal.
    Assuming it passes inspection I will have them install the differential prior to shipping the car to me.
    As to mod's... at this point I have ordered all of the Dinan bolt on upgrades to increase the power ...... which is what is on my e39 m5 as well.
    So, I will start with the power and then get to the other issues over time.
    Thank you all for your advice.
    Excited to be part of the club.
    Craig.

Z8Mania
    Craig,
    One suggestion. I'd get the work done closer to home- this way if theres a problem its easier to deal with.

DSC Off

z8

Good point.
    I will wait and have it done at home.
    Thanks.

Craig,

Congrats on the car. I know you'll love it.

I would like to throw a thought at you. Mods are always personal, but you might want to do the "other" stuff prior to power enhancements. Unlike your M5, the Z8 is not really a proper M car, but rather a combination of standard parts from older 5s and 7s. The use of the S62 was not planned until late in development. As such, the Z8 really has good power unmodified, but it's brakes and suspension are far behind the capabilities of the engine. Adding yet more power without the supporting cast further throws off the balance. If you just want to go fast in a straight line, you'll be fine. However stopping and turning may get you in trouble.

Having driven Dinan Z8s and M5s (quite a bit back to back at the track actually), I actually prefer the M5 as a better package. I even worked with the same owner who eventually did the S3 treatment to the M5. I'm a big fan of what Dinan does (providing useful improvements and reliability), and their current sale is a great time to pick up the parts. Anyway, my suggestion would be to spend a bit of time with the car before upping the power.

Again, congrats, and enjoy!
    thegunguy

DSC Off

z8

Thanks for the thoughts. That is the first time anyone has given me advice from that angle. Unfortunately, it is a bit late as I already ordered all of the Dinan parts last month, before I even had the car, just to save about 4k because of the sale. I am a power freak and I have driven 4 z8's already and I knew I wanted more power.
    ( A bit spoiled with my M5 and RX-7)
    I have driven 4 z8's thus far and, while fast, could use a bit more power for my taste.
    So, I couldn't pass up the sale. However, I will keep all that you said in mind and be careful with my turns and stopping etc.....but, of course, will GUN it when I am heading in a straight line.
    Now as to the "other" stuff, what do you recommend re: brakes and suspension etc... and anything else for that matter?
    I have Brembo's on my M5 and the whole dinan supspension set up etc......so I am familiar with all of that.
    Thanks.
    Craig.

Not to worry, it's not going to run off the road and not stop, but those are the bits I would first as the car has ample power for me. For someone wanting more, Dinan is a great option here in the US. The 20% sale is great, and it seems like they're doing it every spring.

Brembos are pretty common among most here. The OE ones aren't terrible, but it's odd that BMW typically have dismal brakes in comparison to their wonderful drivetrains. In my stock engined car, I've had them get a little soft at the track. With a little rest, they were fine. On the road, I've never had a problem, but it's one of those areas where I'd rather have overkill. You'll need at least 19" wheels for the Brembos or the Stoptechs (fronts only).

I've got the Dinan suspension on my car, and it's "okay". It's definitely better on grip and response, but most of that comes from the adjustable roll bars by my thinking. The preferred combo is currently the EU Alpina springs and struts with the Dinan plates and roll bars. The Alpina bits are every bit as good as the Dinan components in sharpening handling, but like magic the provide a ride that is actually more compliant that stock.

Keep us updated, and how about some shots of the M5?
    thegunguy

DSC Off

z8

Thanks for the advice. I hate to admit this but I am not a tech guy at all.
    I am not sure what pictures I have on my computer of the m5, but if I can find them, how do I attach them to a response on this site?
    Craig.

Craig,

Posting a photo is easy. Just click the post reply button and then scroll down a bit and you will see the Additional Options page. In that is a section that says "Attach Files" with a button "manage attachments". Click on that and a pop-up window appears with a list of "choose files" buttons.

Click on of those and then select the photo file that you want to embed. It is that simple.

Call me if you have any questions.

209-480-2271
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

There's a section labeled "Additional Options". From there, select Manage Attachments under Attach Files. You can then select each photo individually. Click upload, and wait for the screen to update. If successful, you should see file icons in the Attach Files section, and they will be displayed under the text in your post.

I thought of another thing you should look into when you have your Dinan bits installed. As you likely know from your M5, the clutch BMW chose for the S62 wears quickly. This is even more of an issue as you increase power. While the car is in the air, you might consider a beefier clutch. I've been milking mine for a while, but I'm probably going to go with the UUC 850CSi clutch and flywheel adaptation sometime soon for improved life and universal maintenance. UUC offer a longer life direct fit alternative as well that will better handle the power of your Dinan engine.

More to chew on...
    thegunguy

DSC Off

My new z8

I flew out to Denver on Friday and met Kevin, had the car inspected, and flew back the same day. No problems with the car at all and we sealed the deal.
    Should be shipped back east to me in MD in a week or so.
    Will then have the performance package, new tires and the Dinan work installed.
    After all of that, I will take some pictures of the Z8, my M5 and my rx-7 and post the same on the site since some of you wanted to see some pictures.
    Again, thank you all for your advise and assistance on purchasing this great machine. Words can't describe just how excited I am to have this Z8!
    Craig.

Congrats. Enjoy in good health.

Z8 Madness
    Congratulations Craig. Enjoy.
    62050 - Z8

Z8 Novice
    Congratulations! Sounds like a great car, an excellent seller and the right buyer got together. These will be a couple of long weeks! Can't wait to hear about how the work turns out and your experience with the car.

DSC Off

My new z8

Thank you all!
    Craig.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    congratulations from ellicott city, md
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

DSC Off

Columbia

Brian,
    We are going to have to connect after I get my car set up.
    I live in Columbia.
    I will follow up with you when I get the car - unless - you happen to be just spinning around town in your toy this weekend. If so, and if you are driving near the River Hill area I would love to see your car.

You can e-mail me at [email protected] and my cell is 410 707-1831.

Craig