Thread: Conforti Shark Injector Software....

Thumbs up Conforti Shark Injector Software....

Decided to purchase the Conforti Shark Injector software into the Z8 last week. All in all a very easy thing to do and just about anyone should be able to do, even if you have a minimum of skills.

Comes with pretty self-explanatory instructions. It remaps your existing ECU with performance settings including eliminating your top-speed limiter, increases the Rev limiter to 7300 and changes throttle body response, air fuel ratios to try and maximize your "seat of the pants" feel. It does not advertise actual HP / torque gains but some may be expected. You can specify on your order what you want with regard to whether you want the sport button ON permanently, DSC OFF permanently or whether you want to retain manual push button control of those features (I chose this option). The device actually extracts your OEM software then installs the Conforti software and stores your OEM software in the Shark Injector. You can easily do the procedure again anytime you want to RESTORE your car to your original condition (such as when you are planning a OBDII update as it would overwrite your Shark software and be lost forever so anytime you take it in for service, they recommend you advise your Service Center you have the software). It DOES not prevent them from hooking to the ODBII port and diagnosing problems and you can still clear fault codes, just do not install and update to the OBDII software without restoring first.

For me, the overall responsiveness and driving pleasure is greatly enhanced and in sport button off mode, is similar to the OEM Sport Button ON setting so when you push the Sport Button now, you REALLY feel the change in Throttle response in the seat of your pants. Again, this will probably change from person to person a bit.

It is relatively cheap upgrade (less than $400 including shipping) and given how easy it is to install, I give it a 2 thumb up approval.

pics to follow....
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

I already have the Dinan software which I really like, so I don't think its for me, but I'd love to try it next summer!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

If you have the Dinan Stage One, this is an improvement over that as Stage One only changes the rev limiter and eliminates the top speed limit. The Conforti actually changes the thottle body response too and you definitely notice it. Regarding ANY DINAN or other software... remove it and restore your car back to Stock OEM software first. The Shark ONLY works if your software is BMW Stock software. IF you try (I did) you will get a code 143 -- which just means the shark is incompatible with the ECU due to non-stock software being present. No installation or damage will occur.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

These store and upgrade modules are really becoming quite popular with almost every OBDII compatible car. Glad you're enjoying it.

Is it messy blending the sharks prior to injection?
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    So Jeff, is this ready to go and purchase? Did you finish all your testing? I am ready to jump and I am assuming that it is an alternative to the DINAN solution. Had a great time talking with you on Sunday at dinner - it was a blast!
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

Ha.. Ha

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Is it messy blending the sharks prior to injection?
    All you need is a really big blender and a really big bore needle to inject!
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Same here Brian....

Quote Originally Posted by briandilley View Post
    So Jeff, is this ready to go and purchase? Did you finish all your testing? I am ready to jump and I am assuming that it is an alternative to the DINAN solution. Had a great time talking with you on Sunday at dinner - it was a blast!
    Had a great time visiting with you too. Yes, testing shows only nominal HP increase with the Conforti but again.... it is the "seat of the pants test" that counts most and based on that... I recommend it.

And yes..... you need to start training for our meetings. Your just lucky we did not break out any bottles of Patro'n, just ask thegunguy about that stuff!!We will save that for the Pacific Northwest drive in August!!
    Best Regards,

Jeff

So with the s/w upgrade and exhaust, would you say the overall HP gain pushes the number over 400bhp?

I love tequila, and I have got a great story about shooting that - an All Navy message in the 80's, so I do prefer my margarita's now, but have learned that catching a buzz is much better than chasing one.

Thanks, I got the CDV, the s/w is next and the exhaust will probably be bought from my next Board of Directors compensation.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Z8doc View Post
    It does not advertise actual HP / torque gains but some may be expected.
    I've been considering it, but there is that little stupid voice that keeps telling me to keep stock. Anyway, Turner advertises that the e39 M5 Shark Injector adds 23hp and 18lb/ft. torque. Do you know how the one you bought differs and why would the M5 software not work on the Z8?
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Well, I am hooked, ordered the kit and had to get the battery charger and I got the CDV valve in house - so 2 out of 3 upgrades in the works.

If it bolts on or off and you keep the parts - then it is stock. but the CDV ($35) part is well worth the fix unless you like buying clutches and the software upgrade, easily converted back = seems like a win/win to me.

The exhaust - well I guess I have got to store that part or get Andrew to make room in his garage attic.

I found the conforti shark sw upgrade for $299 + shipping.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

Lightbulb It is the same injector I believe ....

Quote Originally Posted by ///M Blitz View Post
    I've been considering it, but there is that little stupid voice that keeps telling me to keep stock. Anyway, Turner advertises that the e39 M5 Shark Injector adds 23hp and 18lb/ft. torque. Do you know how the one you bought differs and why would the M5 software not work on the Z8?
    as all Shark injectors are from the same company. I do not believe there is a different Shark for the e39 M5 vs. the Z8 since they share the same engine. I bought mine from them and their add reads exactly the same for both injectors except they post before and after dyno data with the M5... considering they share the same engine, I assume they are the same but honestly, not sure. I sent them an email regarding just that before I purchased and they did not respond but I went ahead and purchased.

I do not necessarily consider the dyno data relevant as there are so many things that can influence that output from ambient temp, how much forced air you are blowing into the car at the time, how hot your engine is at the time (the hotter the worse the dyno results), etc.. but the "seat of the pants" feel is a definite improvement.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

0037 has been "Sharked", I also switched out the CDV. The RPMs now go to 7300, but it is too wet to take the car for a spin. But Sunday is looking sunny and dry, so it will fun to see how these two upgrades make "my driving experience" different. Looking forward to this cruise.

Thanks Jeff and Lucky Al for sharing these two upgrades tips with me and to Andrew and the website for having all the necessary details to make it happen.

Sunday's test drive experience will be posted.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

Have Fun and be safe!!
    Best Regards,

Jeff

I will, been practicing all summer with the sport button on.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

Money well spent - I can't believe how much better and traditional the clutch is now without the CDV. Why did they every do that? $35 - ten minutes - done.

The shark upgrade is fun, love the RPM upped to 7300 and the mid-range throttle is great and I still have a SPORT button option. I even think the retune leaves less smoot on the tailpipe. I always was suspicion of the black smoot as an engine that wasn't tuned correctly. No more smoot after a 4 hour jaunt.

Fun Fun Fun
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver