Thread: Need 4 sZpeed

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar

Need 4 sZpeed

Take a look a this list http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/show/powerlaps.shtml
    apparently,on a track, the Z8 is slower than a Z4 and way slower than a Z4 M

hard to believe
    Luigi
    2001 Z8 Black-Red

Honestly I wouldn't look at the little airfield autocross course they use on Top Gear, look at the Nurburgring times. There won't be a ton of difference between the Z8 and the Z4M, I'd guess they'll both be in the 8:15 range. You have to go to a GT3 RS if you want something significantly faster, the newest ones are getting close to the 7:30 mark now.

Having done a lot of track days in faster cars, including over a year with a GT3, the Z8 isn't about speed, it's about style, and quality open top motoring. I can go cross country as fast as I care to drive in the Z8. With a faster car I'd be going the same speed, because that is the right speed for the roads I drive, and the Z8 is already way faster than the roads I love allow for!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

oh yes I completely agree with you about that. We didn't buy the Z8 to "race".
    But of course it was very surprising to see that kind of results.
    And of course I know that Top Gear doesn't like the Z8
    Luigi
    2001 Z8 Black-Red

well, that was an Alpina and it's still faster than the DB7 and 911 (turbo as well as carrera S). What's up with the 575M time? That must have been seriously wet.

...and the Z8 is way faster than a DB5, but I'd have the DB5 any day.

Nurburgring times (from German auto magazines):

Z4 M convertible-8:15
    Z8-8:18
    Z4 3.0 convertible SMG and coupe-8:32

one has to keep in mind the importance of rubber and the crap quality of OEM stuff. I wonder how much better a Z8 with just a quaife and some proper rubber would be.

What are the times they give for the Alpina, as that has better wider lower profile rubber.
    Andrew Macpherson

What was Dieters time for his wonderfull video of him cruising around the ring in his 550 hp Z8? True he is probably running at 9/10 effort, there is traffic, and I would guess he is not a pro but just the tire/ wheel change and a 364 LSD would make a world of differance. The extra 154 ponys wouldn't hurt either...
    Joshb
    2002 silver/ red

The Nurburgring looks better....but that , I guess is not an Alpina, so, maybe is the Alpina that it is a little slower? (less HP )

and yes the tires make a big difference, (maybe they were using the RF?)
    Luigi
    2001 Z8 Black-Red

The cars were with OEM (Germany) tires.

Don't have a time for the Alpina.

The Alpina has more torque, which will work in its favor at the 'ring, and it is putting a lot more rubber on the road on wider MPS2 tires and much better suspension, so I would venture a guess that the Alpina should be between 4-8 seconds a lap faster than the Z8 based on my experience. I wonder if Alpina have any figures on their website, or any other German mags do?
    Andrew Macpherson