Thread: BMW NA & the LSD misprint.

BMW NA & the LSD misprint.

This is one of the stranger stories around the Z8, and it transpired because of bad fact checking in the BMW NA Marketing Dept.

The car was both advertised and sold as having a Limited Slip Differential in the US & Canadian markets. This happened because the details of the cars engine and drive train were just copied over from the M5 specs, and no one bothered to check if they were actually right.

When the original owners discovered this a loud cry went up. Words of anger and fury raged on the message boards as owners took sides in a fierce firefight of both attacking and defending BMW.

After over six months of ignoring the situation and hoping it would go aay BMW NA finally sent out this letter of apology, and certificate. Many of us found it absurdly insulting, as to save the $700 on a driving course just like the Z8DE, but with lesser cars, the lucky owner would need to spend over $3,000. That's more than the cost of fitting an LSD into the car!

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

A follow up from BMW NA

I wrote to Mr McDowell to expess my displeasure at the voucher, and to ask for a confirmation of the promised 50 years of support that appears on page 45 of 'The Book'. I wanted to be certain this wasn't also a misprint!

Here is the letter I got in response.

Andrew Macpherson

As an intersting aside to our current woes...

I was speaking with a lawyer friend over this weekend, and when I told him about the LSD issue, and this insulting brush-off offer from BMW NA. He said that this (misprint) is fraud, pure and simple.

He suggested that I contact the DMV, and speak to their Fraud Department, who specialize in exactly this sort of thing. I'll get back to you on this once I've contacted them, but if you are an original owner, and have your window sticker I'd suggest you do the same thing too, just call you state's DMV and ask for the Vehicle Fraud Department.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly
    I was speaking with a lawyer friend over this weekend, and when I told him about the LSD issue, and this insulting brush-off offer from BMW NA. He said that this (misprint) is fraud, pure and simple.

He suggested that I contact the DMV, and speak to their Fraud Department, who specialize in exactly this sort of thing. I'll get back to you on this once I've contacted them, but if you are an original owner, and have your window sticker I'd suggest you do the same thing too, just call you state's DMV and ask for the Vehicle Fraud Department.
    Andrew, I'm very interested in what you find out.