Thread: 25 - 30 hours labor for a drip?

DSC Off

25 - 30 hours labor for a drip?

Hey folks, once I must turn to you for your opinions. I brought the Z8 to my local dealer last week for some minor problems....having fogged headlights replaced, HVAC footwell vent was not working and I was having a drip into my footwells after running the A/C for about 30 minutes. Lights and HVAC issues..easily resolved.....A/C drip, not so much. Service guy referred me to bulletin 641806 which refers to accumulating h20 in footwells. Essentially he said they would need to get to the heater core box and check/replace some minor items...hoses, etc. Only problem...they would have to get under the dash. Est. 25-30 hrs labor at $120 per hr! I asked how he knew that was the issue...he assured me it would fix the problem. Anyway, I brought him a description of the "fix" that someone posted here for accumulated h2o in footwells and he indicated they tried and that it did not work. Any suggestions?

The only thing I know is what was posted here, which as far as I know does work, but happily in bone dry Cali condensation is rarely an issue.
    I'd maybe suggest that you call Bill Stuart at BMW NA and see if he has any suggestions, he has been a fantastic help with long term customer support. 201-263-8210
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I'd be real careful w a dash removal and reinstall. Get a tech who's got few under his belt as, shorts, squeaks are usually likely after such in complex cars like the Z8.

Now, does anyone care to comment please on Z8 insurance? My renewal is approaching and I've just discovered that USAA will only pay NADA if the car is totaled. NADA, I'm told is $54,000 and my premium is $1400/yr. No tickets, DUI's, accidents and I've got 8 cars and 5 motorcycles. Isn't there a Public Option ? Sorry, not funny. Chime in please
    Jim

Hey RobZ82001,

The hours you were quoted were very similar to what I had for the exact same repair after the fact that is listed in the posts here (in my case, the amount was charged after the fact as it was thought to be covered by warranty but ended up not being). My suggestion is contact Bill Stuart in advance as this repair should not be more than $900 - $1000 tops as the parts to do it only cost about $45 total. The problem is that there is NO PUBLISHED repair times for the Z8 and hence, the dealers tend to go very high on these repairs. The website here is the best source for what the "norms" are and Bill is aware of that and can help negotiate this with your repair facility. Also, maybe consider a different repair shop, where are you located? Dana Caldwell at Peter Pan may be of help too, he may even be able to recommend someone too but I am sure Bill can help.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

DSC Off
    Thanks guys for your suggestions. Update on the repair....Bill was able to help negotiate a more reasonable repair bill with the dealership. Just got a call from one of the managers at the dealership. Said the GM noticed my car and wanted to buy it for showroom floor. Offered me $75,000. Told my wife and she said no immediately! Guess she's a keeper (both wife and Z8)!

Glad we could help!
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Quote Originally Posted by robz82001 View Post
    Thanks guys for your suggestions. Update on the repair....Bill was able to help negotiate a more reasonable repair bill with the dealership. Just got a call from one of the managers at the dealership. Said the GM noticed my car and wanted to buy it for showroom floor. Offered me $75,000. Told my wife and she said no immediately! Guess she's a keeper (both wife and Z8)!
    That price is insulting. Be sure to drive it in often, just to gloat!

Drip Repair

Had the same work performed (under warranty) on my previous 2002. Not sure of the total hours, as I didn't have to pay for it. They did keep my car for about 2 weeks. My tech said the cars were not built to deal with heavy amounts of condensation from the a/c unit, thus leaked. There is a std repair, involving removal of the whole dash, etc. If you go see the car during the work, it'll scare the hell out of you!
    Yet, in the end, it cured the dripping, thus happily ever after.