Thread: 2002 Z8 (#61744) Red/Red - Sold

Z8 Madness

2002 Z8 (#61744) Red/Red - Sold

Sadly, I'm selling one of my Z8s, the one with 18,330 miles @ $95K. I'm the second owner of this car and purchased it from a member slightly over 2 years ago.

Added 10/17/2009: I will take $92K for everything less the BMW Motorsport Wheels (the original wheels are in perfect condition with less than 2K miles on the tires).

This car is complete. I also have the book! The only item I don't have is the z8 model car.

I've done the following to the car:

1) Installed the performance package.
    2) Replaced both headlights (old ones were fogged).
    3) Installed BMW Motorsport Wheels with Pirelli P-Zero tires (<2K on them).
    4) Installed a front clear bra.
    5) Installed the UUC short shifter.
    6) Yearly fluid flush (all fluids), at Irvine BMW.
    7) New Windshield about 200 miles ago, at Irvine BMW.
    8) New OEM battery about 2 years ago.
    9) New OEM floor mats about 2 years ago.

No accidents, paint work, or mechanical repairs otherwise. The car is 100% in top shape. The paint and interior are in excellent condition -- a few rock chips, but nothing visible from 1+ feet away. No scratches! It does NOT have any of these common problems:

- Broken soft top strings
    - Delamination of the rear of the soft top
    - Delamination of the dashboard leather
    - Radio problems
    - Leaking rearview mirror
    - Hazed headlights
    - etc.

I'm also including the original wheels with non-runflat tires that have less than 2k miles on them.

[email protected]

P.S., I'v reassigned the ZED8 plates to my other Z8 Now the car has standard issue plates.

62050 - Z8

Wow, I wish I had the spare cash, I'd buy it in a heart beat. You can't believe how great the Red/Red combo is until you're sitting inside it. I've been in many Z8's over the years, and when Tony and I swapped cars during our run up the Angeles crest earlier this year I was really amazed at how different a Red/Red car looks and feels from the driver's perspective, looking out at the world from that cabin gets an absolute two thumbs up!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Madness
    Thanks for the kind words and sorry for the large photos. I'll try to resize and repost in a little while.

As you know my other car is Red/Black and it is not as pleasant to look at as the Red/Red. I wish I could keep both for ever, but we have decided to buy our dream house on 1 acre of land in Anaheim hills -- the price is right -- and my loan guy just wants us to come up with a ton of money for down payment or else it's a no go
    62050 - Z8

Home is always a good choice over toys, but in your position I'd be sorely tempted to sell the new one, and keep this one. I think you'd find that the new one would sell in Germany very quickly at the right price, you might want to contact J?rgen, and see what he says.

(PS: I already sized the pix - now I always turn linked images into local attachments because we've lost so many links over the years.)
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Madness
    Thanks for resizing the pics. Good idea about turning the links to attachments -- I hope the process is automated.

Depending on how things go, I may have no choice other than trying to sell the other one. Either one would be missed

Over the years, very few red cars come up for sale and even fewer red/red. In the past 5 years that I've been watching the market, I know of two: mine and Carlos's!

I hope someone looking for a red car, will jump on this great opportunity.

One last favor, can you make the thread sticky so that it remains in the top area. Thanks.
    62050 - Z8

wow!

Tony, this is a beautiful car that you have cared for very well. Best of luck with your sale. I am telling a few friends about it.

-Brad
    2002 Silver/Black
    No mods (except for new Alpine stereo)
    Seattle, WA

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by bvhbmw View Post
    Tony, this is a beautiful car that you have cared for very well. Best of luck with your sale. I am telling a few friends about it.

-Brad
    Much appreciate it
    62050 - Z8

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I too have seen this car on many of our drives and can vouch for the superb condition this car is in. It is a bargain for someone at 95K. Plus, I love the last of the VIN, 61744! Mine is 61743, so your car was right behind mine in the factory
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    I too have seen this car on many of our drives and can vouch for the superb condition this car is in. It is a bargain for someone at 95K. Plus, I love the last of the VIN, 61744! Mine is 61743, so your car was right behind mine in the factory
    Thanks, I didn't know about the sequence. What a coincidence!!
    62050 - Z8

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Can I ask - What is the red item in the bubble wrap in the 12th picture?
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

Front Lic. Plate Mount?

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Front Lic. Plate Mount?
    That is correct.
    62050 - Z8

Ah, okay, just not used to seeing that in Red and bubble wrap. I just ordered the tow hook front license plate holder to avoid drilling holes in the bumper. I thought that after 10 years that it would be a shame to do that.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

Sport Button On
    Please tell me more about the tow hook front license plate holder. Link?
    thanks
    Mark

I got it from here www.promountequipment.com The guy is named Milton and he is in California. The Z8 tow hook, as he says, is the same one from the 1 series.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by briandilley View Post
    I got it from here www.promountequipment.com The guy is named Milton and he is in California. The Z8 tow hook, as he says, is the same one from the 1 series.
    Can you please post a photo when you install it.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Sport Button On
    I spoke with Milton. Brian is the Guinea Pig being the first to try one. Milton thinks they have the length and thread pattern correct. He is very willing to correct any problems with fitment without any further charge. He is waiting on word from Brian, as they made it based on "data" on the Z8 bumper, but did not have a car to try it on themselves. Soooo... I am very interested in seeing pics and what Brian has to say as well. In fact, I have ordered one myself, and they will hold shipping until they hear from Brian.

Mark

Z8 Madness
    This car is sold.
    62050 - Z8

Glad to see you sold the car but I doubt we will see you at any future events with your 03 Z8 since it has no miles on it. Did the 02 stay local to So Cal? I hope it went to a good home!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8 Madness
    Hi Marty, the plan is for me to bring the 03 to driving condition (PP, Tires, Clear-Bra) and drive it. Life is short
    62050 - Z8

I agree. Use it selectively, but use it! Just curious, where did your car end up going to?
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Hi Marty. I'm the lucky new owner of 61744. The purchase process was a bit awkward because I'm in Canada, but Andrew helped by checking out the car (sending pics and comments) and I had a great afternoon driving the car along the California coastline on Wednesday. Tony has been a real gentleman to deal with and has taken exceedingly good care of this car. I've found a guy to transport the car (enclosed, of course) to my home in Calgary. SoCal's loss is Canada's gain. I assure you that the car has found a good home and I'll endeavour to care for it as well as Tony did. Perhaps someday I'll manage a return trip to SoCal in the Z (pronounced "zed" where I come from). In the interim it's all Rocky Mountain cruising!

Cheers, Steve
    61744 Red/Red

Congratulations, you have a real gem there, and maybe you can be the scout for a Z8 Rocky Mountain drive in a couple of years.
    Andrew Macpherson

That would be my pleasure Andrew. Thank You again for your assistance in my investigation and purchase. I look forward to thanking you in person someday...
    Cheers, Steve
    61744 Red/Red

Quote Originally Posted by RedZed View Post
    That would be my pleasure Andrew. Thank You again for your assistance in my investigation and purchase. I look forward to thanking you in person someday...
    Cheers, Steve
    61744 Red/Red
    Congrats!! You have excellent taste in color combos. I've seen that car several times and it is in fantastic shape. Enjoy!!
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

Someday I want to do a Canadian tour for sure! RedZed will be right there, no doubt.

Have fun in the new ride, and welcome.

Welcome, Steve, to our forum and to the nicest bunch of people you will ever meet! Tony took excellent care of the car you bought. Enjoy it. Out of every car I have ever owned "about 65 and counting," the Z8 is far and away my all time favorite. I have had faster cars, cars that have handled better, and so on, but never have I owned a car that does everything just right and is very easy on the eyes. In fact, one of the best looking cars of all time, IMHO.

P.S. As I am sure you have read above, my VIN is just one car before yours, so they were being built at the same time.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8 Madness
    Steve,

Welcome to the forum!

It was great spending the afternoon with you. To be honest, that day was a turning point for me too. I realized how much I enjoy driving the Z8. Thankfully, I have the 03 to be deployed soon.
    62050 - Z8

Thank You everyone for your kind words. I look forward to meeting more of the Z8 guys, and if it's not here in Canada it'll be on a return visit to SoCal. Until then, keep the posts rolling. I've got a lot to learn! Cheers,
    61744 Red///Red

Pictures just don't seem to do the Red Z8's justice. I saw my first at the Woodward Ave Dream Cruise this summer and was quite stunned by how attractive she is under the red skin. Verrrry pretty!

Do others tend to agree that the clear bra is a must?

Yes, I ran without clear bra for the first few years, and the car got peppered with chips, so now I have it. I figure it is easier to replace every few years than doing a respray.

Red never really photographs right using digital cameras, there is an effect called 'red gain' that flattens out the subtleties of the red in pictures, making it a hard color to photograph. Silver is the easiest color to photograph, and also it is a great color on the Z8. ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

I'm a little biased, but Red is definitely my favourite. And I agree, it's very different in person. Much better!
    Love Silver too. Very classy. If only I had room for 2...

A Z8 Peppered with chips? Yikes, my worst nightmare! The clear bra is definitely the way to go. It gives peace of mind while driving, and the Z8 is definitely meant to be driven!
    61744 Red///Red

Z8 Madness
    I consider the clear bra a must. In particular when driving in close formation with other Z8.
    62050 - Z8

Sport Button On
    I have had my silver Z8 4 months. Love it. Have a couple rock chips in front bumper and a couple on the front of the hood. What are your opinions about placing a clear bra over these, or waiting until enough additional chips have accumulated to justify a respray, then place the clear bra?

thanks
    Mark

A quality clear bra installation will cost about $1000. That's a lot less than a quality respray of the hood and bumper.
    2002 Silver/Black
    No mods (except for new Alpine stereo)
    Seattle, WA

Z8 Madness
    I don't think there's a problem placing the clear-bra over a less than perfect painted surface. But, I would check with a experienced installer on that. If you're in SoCal, you may want to give Lance Pugh from www.Clear-Pro.com a try.
    62050 - Z8

61744, Oct/2010, Just before Hibernation in the Canadian Rockies

All's well that ends well.

It took some effort and time to get 61744 delivered to Canada.
    But the wait was well worth it.
    I had a great summer driving it in the Canadian Rockies.
    Thought I'd post a couple pics, just prior to hibernation.
    Tony, I'm taking great care and having a lot of fun !
    Also, FYI, there's a vintage BMW tour running through Western Canada next year.
    It's 2 weeks which is a bit long for my interest, but I may try to hook up with some other Z8 owners when the tour hits Banff. If we manage it, I'll send some pics. Would love to see some 507's...

Cheers,

61744 Red///Red

That is great to see, congratulations on a stunning car in awesome colors!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Madness
    Thanks for sharing!!!!!! The car looks great. Enjoy and keep up posted.
    62050 - Z8

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar
    great combination, looks stunning!!
    Luigi
    2001 Z8 Black-Red

Z8Mania
    Gorgeous pictures! Congratulations!!

PS: Those really are the best alternative rims for the Z8!! :-D
    Andrew Macpherson

I thoroughly agree Andrew. I like the original Z8 rims a lot, but I love these. Someday I'll put the originals back on just for fun, but I know that won't last long before I'll have the MS rims back on. Great to have options!
    61744 Red///Red

Heh Tony, are you driving your Red/Black yet? When you get it out be sure to send some pics. Cheers,
    61744 Red///Red

Quote Originally Posted by redz8 View Post
    I don't think there's a problem placing the clear-bra over a less than perfect painted surface. But, I would check with a experienced installer on that. If you're in SoCal, you may want to give Lance Pugh from www.Clear-Pro.com a try.
    I just had clear bra material put on the entire hood, both front fenders, rocker panels and the rear valance (to go along with the front nose which had been done when she was brand new). The advances in technology for the bra material are simply amazing. It is almost impossible to tell from anything more than two feet from the car. The guy even came out to my house and did it.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

What brand material did they use? Did your pattern have a cut on the sides extending from the side marker light to the wheelwell? I recently removed 7 year old 3M material (it started to yellow and shrink) and want to replace it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by KenZ8 View Post
    What brand material did they use? Did your pattern have a cut on the sides extending from the side marker light to the wheelwell? I recently removed 7 year old 3M material (it started to yellow and shrink) and want to replace it soon.
    I'm not sure what the brand is, but I know it's not 3M. This was all custom, no pattern, no pre-cut. The guys did all their own cutting. Pretty amazing actually.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

LLZ8

Clear Bra

I just had my clear bra put on the front bumper. Detailing Dynamics in Mineola, NY did a great job. They used 3M and did it without any seams. He said it was very difficult job becasue of the angles but he managed to do it. Can't even see it up close.

Larry

Larry
    2001/Silver/Red-Black

Matt (Detailing Dynamics) is very talented. He worked on all of my cars when we were still on LI. Anyone with a recommendation in TX?

LLZ8
    It was actually Eddie who does the clear bra work. Do you know other Z8 owners on LI? I am trying to get a group together.

Larry

Larry
    2001/Silver/Red-Black

I left LI 5 years ago. Back then no one wanted to take their Z8's out of the garage except Z8mania (member of this board). I don't know of anyone else who still has the car.

LLZ8
    If Z8mania is still on LI please contact me.

Larry

Larry
    2001/Silver/Red-Black

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Ziem View Post
    Heh Tony, are you driving your Red/Black yet? When you get it out be sure to send some pics. Cheers,
    Absolutely yes. I did everything that I needed to do (PP, clear-bra, PS2s) and am slowly breaking it in. About 200 miles so far and counting ...
    62050 - Z8

Quote Originally Posted by redz8 View Post
    Absolutely yes. I did everything that I needed to do (PP, clear-bra, PS2s) and am slowly breaking it in. About 200 miles so far and counting ...
    Don't forget the engine oil, diff gear oil and trans. fluid change when you get close to 1K miles.

When the cars were new, the diff gear oil change was part of the 1K mile service, but not the engine oil; go figure.

I dropped off my car at the dealer for the 1K service and when I came back to pick it up, they had changed the diff oil, but not the engine oil. I asked them why and they said "because the engine oil change would cost about $120." I had to laugh not only because you'd think BMW would just throw that in, but because they were trying to save me $120 on a $142K car. Anyway, I left it for an extra day to have the engine oil changed.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    -- Others --

Z8 Madness
    Will do. Actually, I do an oil change every 6 months and full fluid flush every 12 months. It's probably an overkill, but so is owning a Z8
    62050 - Z8