Thread: Some questions

Z8 Novice

Some questions

Hey guys,

Love the Z8 board. been reading every post for the last two weeks to get some info. I currently have a 997C2S cab (complete fab speedkit), Boxster, and a Ferrari (89' 328 GTS 1 of 25 made in Black). When the Z8 came out in 2000, I loved the car. As time went on, they pretty much disappeared off the road. I went to the dealer two weeks ago to buy a Gallardo spyder (or maybe the Ford GT) with my wife. There it was...a 2001 Z8, silver with red and black interior. My wife said..."thats the car". I took a look and thought the same. I know that recently the prices have gone down, but I think thats a temporary blip because of the economy. Based on the numbers made, the resale should be much better than average going forward. Probably level off at around $100,000.00 for now with some appreciation in the future. I also like the idea of "normal" mainetnance as opposed to "Ferrari tune ups". Anyway, sold on the Z8 (?), but the one that I saw has the Alpina wheels which I like a lot over the OEM wheels. This car does not have the Performance package. My question is...I will change RFT as soon as I take delivery, but do I need to do the performance package asap? And if I change the tires and do the performance package is it safe to say I won't have frame damage if I hit a pot hole? Or do I have to do extensive suspension upgrades too? What concerns me is that I love the car but, I hate to spend $100,000.00 plus on a nine year old car, and then have to spend another $10 grand to make sure nothing happens to the suspension. Also, having the Porsche with a sports exhaust, I know I will be doing the exhaust on the Z8. My Porsche sounds amazing. The bottom line is I will not be tracking the car at all. It will really only be a Sat. night cruiser. So, my question is... Can I get away with changing the tires and do the PP? And then I will do the exhaust. Or is it the suspension upgrade too? You guys are very knowledgeable about Z8's. More so then any dealers that I have spoke to. The reality is I won't buy the car if I have to do the suspension, PP, tires and the exhaust. My next choice would be the Ford GT which would require me to do nothing except step on the gas. Thanks for any help.

That is a tough question, and one that could get you several opinions. Personally I would be wary about running Alpina rims on the stock suspension, regardless of tires & PP. However if all the roads are silky smooth in your area, and you are really just cruising then you could be fine.

What I will say is that the Alpina suspension was tuned to work with the 20" rims, and it honestly makes the Z8 a far better car to drive. I say that as someone who has had four Z8's in different states of tune, and also been tracking an M3, GT3, and a pair of Lotus's over the last few years. The Alpina suspension is much smoother than the Z8's stock set up, which gives quite a harsh and bumpy ride, and tends to judder, skip and slither on the rougher back roads that are the great places to get on it here in California. The car is so much nicer to drive on any road that not doing it doesn't really make sense to me, I'd say buy a car, then just send it to Dana Caldwell at Peter Pan BMW, and have all the good stuff done, you'll be happy you did!

Once you've done it this'll be a car you'll keep forever, because it is just so lovely to take on long fast drives.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    I live on Long Island where the roads, and the back roads are fine. Its the City where the roads are not good. I probably would not take it to the City. I have another car that I use when I go (Navigator). I've tracked a series of Porsches and other cars and I know first hand that the correct setup is critical especially when you hit the twisties. But again, this car would not be tracked. I'm sure if I ask 5 guys, I will get 6 opinions. By the way, I think that I've read all your posts. Very informative. I did see a picture of your car with the Dinan wheels. Those wheels are nicer than the Alpina. In my opinion, the car is very dated with the OME rims (no offense to anyone w/the OME). The standard rims on any sports car today are 19". The car looks like it was made for the 19'-20" rims. I did decide that if I don't get the Z8 it would probably be the Gallardo. All my other cars are convertables. Something special about a topless car. The reality is, the Z8 is nicer than the Gallardo (not a better car, just nicer, and timeless shape) and thats why I am frustrated. I would NOT buy an Alpina because its an automatic, which leaves me with the Z8. I would appreciate other feedback, especially if someone lives on Long Island. I did call the local dealership, they did not call me back.

The Gallardo & the Z8 are two such totally different cars to make a choice between. Personally I'm not a Lambo fan, it isn't my style. I'd likely take the Audi R8-V10 over the Lambo, saw one in all white with black trim yesterday and it looked really good.

The Z8 is much more of a classic car, and I suspect it may be a little disappointing to you if the Lambo & the Ford GT are the other cars you're looking at it against, I'd say try and get a twenty minute test ride in it before you commit.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    The choice would be the R8 but the convertable is still a year off. I know that they are two different animals, but I like both for different reasons. there really is nothing to compare the Z8 to. Its in a class by itself. Where the Lambo, Ferrari, and the Ford GT are similiar. I think my wife summed it up by saying that the Z8 is a Ferrari and a Porsche rolled into one. Its as exotic as the 430, but no maintenance issues, like a Porsche. Basically an exotic without the headache. I don't like the headache anymore. I like my mechanic, but don't want an ongoing relationship with him. I don't want to pay his mortgage! Thats why a 430 is at the bottom of the list. And....thats why I am leaning towrds the Z8.

My friend with the R8 in the UK also has a Scuderia and he says the service bills for two years of R8 ownership so far have been ?300, while the Scuderia in only 18 months has run him up ?8,800 in scheduled maintenance, and guess which one gets used the most too!

The Z8 rocks, if it didn't we wouldn't all be here, but you have to look at it as a great classic sports car, because an R8 will run rings around it in term of sheer performance, but not in driving pleasure on the open road.
    Andrew Macpherson

Nothing screams look at me/midlife crisis like a Lamborghini cabriolet. The BMW in contrast is very understated--most people won't know it is an expensive car. Since I bought the Z8, you know how I feel about that. The Z8 is simply a timelessly beautiful car.

Z8 Novice
    I use to get caught up in the 1/4 mile or the 0-60 times. Everytime a new AMG hit the road, I would have to get a new car to be faster. I stopped chasing the 0-60 time. To me, there are other factors. I do like speed, and the Z8's numbers are fine. The midlife crisis issue...I'm 46 and have always had nice cars. To me the "midlife crisis" is the guy who never had a nice car and runs out to get the vette. I think I been suufering a midlife crisis since I was 18! Just love fast and loud cars.

The way I see it - there will always be a faster car... a more powerful car (unless you own a Veyron)... and car with more gadgets... BUT there are very few modern cars that have the classic lines and grace of the Z8. With this car, you won't have the need to chase all those other things. It is in a class of it's own.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were having a midlife crisis. For us gearheads, it's different. It's all about the engineering. I'm just saying 99% of the people out there are going to be thinking "what an a**" when they see someone driving by in a hardtop Laborghini--let alone a convertible one. And let's face it there are a lot of losers out there driving Lamborghinis who don't know a thing about motors, they just want to show off.

What's nice about the Z8 is it's a performance car with class, beauty and understatement. One of the very few modern convertibles you can drive with the top down with dignity.

If I might add my two cents, yes 100 large is a bit for a preowned car, but truthfully I know of at least one person that paid 50 k over list to buy one new so you are looking at a relative bargain.The Z8 is one of those cars that will surely appriciate over the years due to its timeless good looks, solid engineering and relative rarity. Suppose you had a time machine and could have walked into a Ford dealership in the mid sixties and put cash down on a funny little American english roadster with a racing heritage called a Cobra, or if you had a bit more means a Ferrari California spyder, wouldn't you be sitting in your kitchen today musing about your good fortune and foresight about buying and keeping a such a car? Your only problem is the eventual fights over which kid gets the car when you shuffle off this mortal coil. Yes there are faster, more comfortable cars out there, but few that represent a purity of design and purpose, that will age gracefully, that will still bring a smile to your face everytime you hit the starter button. Think along the lines of the Cord 812 or the original BMW 507 and you get my drift.
    Joshb
    2002 silver /black/red

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
    The Z8 is one of those cars that will surely appriciate over the years due to its timeless good looks, solid engineering and relative rarity.
    Considering that the sport/muscle cars are on the endangered species list, you may not have to wait all too long.

How many of you can sustain your excitement for more than 12 seconds about the Tesla Roadster?
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

I would have to drive the Tesla. The reports sound entertaining...but a whole different experience, I would imagine. Life size slot car? Could be cool.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I still love the sound of a throaty V8.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Considering that the sport/muscle cars are on the endangered species list, you may not have to wait all too long.
    Sad but true, and I also suspect that within the next few years some countries (UK for sure) will have built in satellite based speed monitors, or limiters as well as all kinds of nannying other electrics. In some odd way I am really starting to feel like we are the last of the oil burning cowboys. In my life I've seen the end of steam on the railways, the end of film in my cameras, so I guess I should not be surprised to see the end of unrestricted oil burning motoring nirvana. The number of BMW's we saw on the production line in Munich last week tagged for China & Korea was a real wake up call. Ten years ago they were using a pint of oil per person per month, now they are all filling up their 5's & 7's just like us. Regardless of how much oil there is, it is a limited resource, and the we are accelerating towards the end of it at a frightening pace.

I really do hope that we can find enough electrical alternatives fast, not just for the good of humanity and the undeniable needs of the environment, but also so I can have enough gas to play out the rest of my days!
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    All I know is that everyone that see's a Z8 just smiles at the classic beauty of it all. Power, well it has more stuff than I can handle for more than a burst to top end, and the comfort of the car is just well - it is the best Roadster every made in my mind and I have no desire to own anything else. I already have a classic, expensive, rare, aluminum sports car. I have no envy when I pass a Maserati, Ferrari, Bentley or even a Cobra 427. Smiles, Smiles and I hope all the miles in my life. Glad I bought it and it would be hard to part with it.fficeffice" />>>
    >>
    And if you tune the car as defined by the aficionados on this website, I think you might just have the best car. Brakes, exhaust, chip, susupension, rims, wheels are all bolt on upgrades (save the original parts no matter what) and you have a car that rips through the rest of the field ? for a street car.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

Chances are that Cobra you pass is a replica.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black