Thread: The Model

The Model

OK Guys,

So my car is complete except for the battery tender and the Kyosho 1:18 model. I know what to look for with the tender, but I have never seen anything on this model. Is it a standard Kyosho 1:18 model that I can get on eBay? Is the box a standard BMW issue Z8 box? Any help appreciated.

John

I think it is a standard Kyosho model, the only thing different is the outer box is a flimsy black (light card/heavy paper) wrap with BMW in silver.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

so the inside is foam and the box is like this one?

Yes, thats it!
    Andrew Macpherson

Well, if my car were blue/black I'd be set! The good news is I think that is the standard BMW issue box for the 1:18 models they sell at the dealers, not something specific to the owner's models, so I should be able to find one eventually on eBay in Silver/Black. No shortage of James Bond models on eBay, though.

I think that the Z8 Club may also have some left, as I know they bought up all the spare models from BMW AG when the club was formed. For some reason I haven't quite gotten to the bottom of yet, I ended up buying the full collection, one in every color they made the car, well all the 'main' colors, not the odd 'off menu' combos like Stratus/Red, Siver/Crema & Topaz/Red. Of course the entire set is still in the shipping box in the attic!
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I think that the Z8 Club may also have some left, as I know they bought up all the spare models from BMW AG when the club was formed. For some reason I haven't quite gotten to the bottom of yet, I ended up buying the full collection, one in every color they made the car, well all the 'main' colors, not the odd 'off menu' combos like Stratus/Red, Siver/Crema & Topaz/Red. Of course the entire set is still in the shipping box in the attic!
    You've got the sickness bad. Have you ever archived your collection? Would be interesting to know what BMW put out there in the way of marketing material.

I need to join the club. I've been putting it off until the car arrives, but that is another month yet. Waiting is torture.

I sort of have archived it, but not in one solid single list. As I find odd things I pop them up in the History section of the site. Would you believe that odd things still turn up that I've never seen before.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    At Monterey last year, I spoke with Jurgen regarding these models. Since I have a stratus/red car, I didn't think I had much of a chance of getting a model. Upon his return to Germany, Jurgen emailed me and said he had one model left in stratus/red. Needless to say, I snapped it up as well as joined the Z8 club.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

I sort of have archived it, but not in one solid single list. As I find odd things I pop them up in the History section of the site. Would you believe that odd things still turn up that I've never seen before.
    Andrew, I don't know about the rest but the 2002 and 2003 Z8 numbers are definitely off. The list shows 2002 MY VIN sequence from AH61607 thru AH62254. My car is MY 2003 built in January of 2003 (door sticker -- and "possibly" the last US Z8 built) and the VIN is AH62234.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Those are the numbers that we (the Club) were given by BMW AG themselves, but as I've come to learn every department within BMW AG keeps meticulous records that rarely synchronized or correspond with those of the other departments!

I made yours the first Jan 03 car, and the one before yours the last 02 which should keep us as near to reality as possible until I get any other different info!
    Andrew Macpherson

Those are the numbers that we (the Club) were given by BMW AG themselves, but as I've come to learn every department within BMW AG keeps meticulous records that rarely synchronized or correspond with those of the other departments!

I made yours the first Jan 03 car, and the one before yours the last 02 which should keep us as near to reality as possible until I get any other different info!
    It would be nice if BMW provided more information on their limited edition cars, but... For instance, in the case of the e24 M6, people have been trying to get info out of BMW regarding how many of each color combo were produced in each of the three years of production, but it remains a mystery hidden deep in the archives. There were only 1,767 of those cars made, so you'd think they would play along.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

I suspect it is because they don't keep a list of that info by type, for instance there is no way to find out what color combo were made by BMW Individual, unless you have the full VIN of the car. They only record their work by VIN, with no reference to the type (e52) or body style etc.

Having just been to one of their many factories, and seen the scale of the operation which is spread out across the whole of Bavaria, I can now understand why finding and following historic paper trails is so hard. The way they keep records between all the different plants constantly changes with technology, new systems doesn't talk to an old systems, or a new department head wants things done differently, and old information gets buried. Their core business is what they are making today to sell tomorrow, and what they will make tomorrow to sell next year, everything else that doesn't add to the bottom line doesn't count, which is why it can be hard to find older info from many systems ago, like the colors of the e24 M6!

That said I'm surprised that the very detailed block of info we have from them for our cars wasn't accurate, but your car just proved that is wasn't!
    Andrew Macpherson

I have been tracking eBay religiously for nearly a year looking for a silver/back dealer or Kyosho model other than the James Bond version and have come up empty. Did BMW send out the James Bond version to silver/black owners?

thanks for your help, John

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar
    We have 9 silver/black Kyosho (scale 1 : 18) left. You will find them at www.Z8-Club.de in our online-shop! These model-cars had been delivered to the first owners only if the dealerships paid for them! I expect all of the last model cars and the original key-pouches to be sold at our online-shop in about 3 months !!!
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

thanks, ordered mine

Z8 Madness
    Thanks, ordered mine and some other item.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

The parcels are on the way...
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

Z8 Madness
    Got the goodies. Thanks!
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

J?rgen, I just put in an order for a few items. Warmest regards to you and Silvi!
    thegunguy

Thank you Rifle, the parcel is on the way...
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

J?rgen, the models arrived safely today. The strut towers are nice and flat!

Thanks!
    thegunguy

Thanks Jurgen, just got mine today, looks spectacular. Mine must have the quick ratio kit because the steering wheel only turns a few degrees to lock! Joshb
    2002 silver/red/black

I am glad everything arrived safe and sound (and there is no need for a Performance Package...).
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Hello Jurgen,

Order placed today. # 203.
    Funds will be wired in AM.

Thank You.
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Thank you for your order. You will get the last one in silver / black!
    Best Regards,

Jürgen

Jurgen,

Seems I am encountering some difficuly in making the wire transfer.

See your PM's for details.

Regards,
    Gary
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Arrived yesterday in perfect order.

And last silver car to boot!!!!!!

Thank you Juergen.
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

Hi. I just purchased a 2001 and am trying to put together the items the car came with (thanks for the info). I was able to reach Bill Stuart and he is going to get me "The Book". The car is silver/black and Bill said he had a source for models, but won't be able to confirm as they are laid up at this time. It appears that the last silver/black from the club is gone, and other sources if I can't locate it? Thanks, and the forum is geat!

Andy Holzmann

Welcome to the forum!

EBay is actually quite a good resource too, the model was sold by Kyosho who manufactured it. Although the model is the same it is rarely seen on EBay in the black BMW slip case, which is really the only thing that differentiates it from the regular ones as far as I'm aware.
    Andrew Macpherson