Thread: LA's fires.

LA's fires.

This is a really good link to give you an idea of the scale of this fire.

Here are a couple of shots of how it looked last night and this morning on my hike with the pups.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    The view from my home looks North in the San Fernando Valley. When the sun set last night, there must have been at least a twenty mile long unbroken line of fire. It was pretty amazing. During the day we are getting what they call "Pyro Cumulous" clouds: huge columns of puffy clouds that rise above the smoke some twenty thousand feet into the sky. Both scary and awe inspiring at the same time.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Pyro Cumulous clouds from up on Mulholland this afternoon, looking over Universal City, and also a higher view from NASA.

Interesting coincidence is I just realized that both these shots were taken within five minutes of each other, at 4.15pm this afternoon. You can clearly see the shadow the large pyro-cumulous in my shot above is casting on the other lower smoke in the afternoon sun.

Andrew Macpherson

I took these yesterday from my front yard. It looked like Mt. Wilson erupted. It reminded me of Mt. St. Helens.

2002 Silver/Black

I went out last night to see what it looked like...

Andrew Macpherson

Wonderful photos but such a tragic event. Our prayers are with all of you in the area.

Some more extraordinary images from the news media...

that really remind us that we, humanity, are so powerless in the face of the force of nature.

Andrew Macpherson

Newcombe's Ranch in severe danger...

Newcombe's Ranch, one of the great destinations for driving and riding enthusiasts on the stunning Angeles Crest Highway. This afternoon it is just a couple of miles from the advancing fire line, but I heard that they've been serving the fire department during this madness, and they will try to save it, but the fire is being blown towards them by the prevailing onshore airflow, so it looks like we might loose one of the greatest and most famous drive to spots in the San Gabriel's.

Andrew Macpherson

Is that the place where you and I had lunch a few years back on the long way round to Button Willow?
    thegunguy

Yes, thats the one. Can you imagine, that entire drive we did, every mile through all those mountains before we got to the freeway, is all burnt up. The size of this fire is mind boggling, and it is still far from over, at just 20% contained.

I found one more shot from my drive up there with RedZ8 a few weeks ago, after they reopened the road through to Wrightwood.

Andrew Macpherson

Great news report from Newcombe's Ranch.
    http://www.scpr.org/news/2009/09/03/...ewcombs-ranch/
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off jpklecker's Avatar
    I hope all of you in the LA area are safe from the fires... from the spectacular photos by Andrew you get a true feeling of the danger and fear it can cause. I lived in Ontario, CA, for a couple years in the late 1970's and vividly remember a severe fire encompassing Big Bear and Arrowhead in November of 1979. I had a co-worker who lived up at Big Bear and he stayed at his house--preparing sandwiches for the firemen. As a result (?) the fire came to the edge of his property but the firemen made sure it was not damaged. The night time glow of the flames cannot be expressed in words unless you live it. During the day, that late November, I remember large pieces of ash falling from the sky like snow. Take care all of you!!!
    John Klecker - 2002 Topaz / Crema (61782)

Damn, and just after they'd reopened it too!

Angeles Crest Highway closed indefinitely because of fire. September 4, 2009 | 1:25 pm

More than 40 miles of the Angeles Crest Highway from La Canada Flintridge to Islip Saddle have been closed indefinitely because of the Station Fire, which has burned off road stripping and destroyed guard rails and signage along the scenic route, Caltrans officials said.

Judy Gish, a Caltrans spokeswoman, said the highway?s pavement remains largely intact, though further damage to the 66-mile road is possible as the fire continues. She said it was too soon to estimate the cost to repair the highway or when it could be reopened.

The Angeles Crest Highway, one of the main routes through the San Gabriel Mountains, runs from Foothill Boulevard to State Route 138 northeast of Wrightwood.

The two-lane road handles as many as 11,300 trips by motorists a day, depending on the section of the highway, according to Caltrans.
    Andrew Macpherson

Doesn't look good for Newcombe's anymore...

The fire continues to out maneuver the firefighters best efforts, and is ravaging the entire San Gabriel range to the east. Although Newcombe's survived another night the fires are wrapping in on all sides.

Andrew Macpherson

It's been quite humid where I am just south of you this weekend. I was wondering if it's the same up there, and if it would help slow the advance at all.
    thegunguy

Its sunny, clear and hot here today, and that means it'll be really hot over towards the desert. I'm expecting to get a pretty good view of the fires when I take off tonight, I'll be crossing the mountains at right about 8pm.
    Andrew Macpherson

Post Script

I just got back from Germany, and found this link that shows just how severe the destruction was, but also shows us that Newcombe's Ranch made it through the fires, one small mercy in a insane wave of destruction.

Andrew Macpherson

While, I'm certainly saddened for the casualties and injuries in battling the blaze and the loss of property, this tragic event has helped remind me that nature is on a different clock than ours. Discussions of climate change and man's impact on the environment aside, fire is a natural and necessary part of the growth cycle that keeps forests in balance. While it may take many years for the area to return to its former beauty, it's but a blink of an eye on nature's clock.
    thegunguy