Thread: Quarter Mile, who was fastest?

Quarter Mile, who was fastest?

Last saturday an event was held over here at a deserted airstrip near The Hague called the 'Dutch Quarter Mile'. I was invited and participated with my Z8.
    It was a first for me and to my surprise the Z8 was repeatedly quicker than for instance the Porsche 996 turbo. My best time (I do not have the LSD installed.....) was 13.19 seconds.

50 cars took part in cars in the event, including a Corvette ZR, Nissan Skyline GTR, Ferrari F40, Bugatti EB110, Jaguar XJ220, Ford GT, Donkervoort D8, Lamborghinis (Gallardo and Mucielago (?)), Porsche Carrera GT, BMW M3,M5 etc.) Aston Martins (V8 Vantage and DB9's) and several UK and German kit cars. My question for you guys is; Who was fastest.......?????

I'll go with the KTM X-Bow. Everything is faster in KTM orange.
    thegunguy

The only one that I'm confident can break into the 11's from those is the Nissan, I don't have any idea on the X-Bow or Donkervoort D8, but I somehow wouldn't expect them to be faster in a straight line.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

It is not the Nissan, the KTM or Donkervoort......

p.s. Andrew you are right, the Nissan (though barely) got into the 11's (11.9)

Well I guess that leaves the Ford GT & the Carrara GT, both of which can break into the 11's according to Dragtimes!
    (I didn't realize either were that fast till I Googled it this morning!)
    Andrew Macpherson

Unfortunately the GT did not make a run, fastest time of the Carerra GT was 11.94 seconds.

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by RRZ8 View Post
    Unfortunately the GT did not make a run, fastest time of the Carerra GT was 11.94 seconds.
    I guess I too would not push a $1/2M car to its limits, unless it was stolen

Nice bunch of cars!
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

The (older) guy who owned the Carrera GT also brought a Jaguar XJ 220, and a Bugatti EB 110. He was very eager to win!

Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by RRZ8 View Post
    It is not the Nissan, the KTM or Donkervoort......

p.s. Andrew you are right, the Nissan (though barely) got into the 11's (11.9)
    The time you listed for the winner Porsche Carrera GT was 11.94 but the Nissan is 11.9? 11.9 is .04 sec faster so isn't the Nissan the winner??
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Zr1?

If the super-lights and their crazy power-to-weight ratio (though potential traction issues) didn't get it, how about the ZR1? It's about the easiest thing to go fast in without a bunch of drama, and it will pretty much out accelerate, brake, and handle just about anything on the planet (with the AC on and the stereo blaring Guns-n-Roses) at any price.

You know it really is a shame GM can't put the effort into all their cars that they have with the 'Vette line? The base model, the Z06, and the ZR1 are all pretty stellar, especially considering the price. While I'm definitely a fan of the light cars for track work, it's hard to beat the value of a year old Z06 with a proper alignment and some track pads on the track. Bone stock, it is just a crazy performer - and it's a comfort to drive home at the end of the day. Invest a few thousand in some wheels/tires, brakes, and a basic suspension, and it'll play with dedicated race cars.
    thegunguy

But it only runs the 1/4 in the mid 12's.
    Andrew Macpherson

Are you looking at the ZR1? It will do 10s in the proper hands, and it's the fastest of all the listed street cars on the 'Ring'.

At this event, the Murcielago may have been the quickest though as it's AWD could help the average Joe get in the 11s.
    thegunguy

I just tried to get the times from Dragtimes, but this is all that came up on my search...

Andrew Macpherson

This is from edmonds INSIDE LINE....

this was head to head comparison done by Edmonds for the Nissan GT-R vs the Corvette ZR-1. IMHO, all cars including the GT-R that have AWD will jump better off the line. Having built my own 1/4 drag Camaro in the 1970's that did a 12s flat run with slicks, supermod engine, supercarberators, headers, etc (read: lots and lots of gas] and stripped down to boot, the techno advances that allow these times with average drivers are truly amazing.

"Straight-Line Horsepower
    The next day we head to the test track to run the numbers. The GT-R opened a lot of eyes when it ran 11-second quarter-mile times earlier this year, so our expectations are even higher for the more powerful ZR1.

Launching the 2009 Nissan GT-R is a no-brainer thanks to its electronic launch control system. Set the switches to their appropriate positions, hold the brake, let the engine speed come up and let it rip. After a few consistent runs, our best time from zero to 60 mph is 3.8 seconds (3.5 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip). The quarter-mile goes by in 11.8 seconds at 118.6 mph. These are mighty respectable numbers for an $80K street car, and more important they're numbers that are easily repeatable.

With the 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, it's a whole different story. This Corvette might have huge 335/25R20 tires in back, but since they can't even maintain grip when you put your foot down at highway speeds, you can probably imagine what happens when we try to nail it from a standstill.

We try every method possible to get the car out of the hole quickly ? slipping the clutch, modulating the throttle and various combinations of both. The result is a best 0-60-mph time of 3.8 seconds (3.5 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip) and a quarter-mile time of 11.5 seconds at 128.3 mph.

The acceleration numbers of the Nissan GT-R and the Corvette ZR1 might look close, but the ZR1's trap speed says it all, because it's pulling away fast at the end of the run. An impromptu drag race between the two cars shows that although the GT-R can keep up with the Corvette up to around 100 mph, it's all over from there on out."
    Last edited by Z8doc; August 30th 2009 at 02:44. Reason: information
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

The GT-R is certainly a technical marvel, but I just can't get too excited about a launch procedure that practically doesn't require you being in the car...score one for PlayStation crowd.

Here's what I found on your site for the ZR1. See the 3rd entry...insanity.

thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Are you looking at the ZR1? It will do 10s in the proper hands, and it's the fastest of all the listed street cars on the 'Ring'.

At this event, the Murcielago may have been the quickest though as it's AWD could help the average Joe get in the 11s.

That's right! Fastest that tday indeed the (orange) Lamborgini shown in the first photo. It did 11.2 seconds!

RRZ8, there is a great picture of your car during this event on flickr.com.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/[email protected]/

I hope you don't mind that I posted it here.

I already saw the picture on Flickr, nice photo.
    By the way, it is not me driving in that picture, but of friend of mine (with lots of spin .....)

Shouldn't the "Ballast" in the passenger seat have been in the trunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Shouldn't the "Ballast" in the passenger seat have been in the trunk?

In this run he did 15,5 seconds....................

Well worth it for the shot, two such happy faces, isn't that why we all love cars - that little lad is the Z8 collector of tomorrow!!
    Andrew Macpherson