Thread: An interestingly odd mix of bikes at the Rock Store.

An interestingly odd mix of bikes at the Rock Store.

A lovely ride climbing out of and above the fog this morning to breakfast at the Rock Store, almost exactly fifty miles from home through the stunning Santa Monica Mountains. Nearly everyone there was my age or older, it is interesting to see that there aren't as many kids into bikes these days. Anyhow here are some quick snaps of the more eye catching Breakfast Clubers.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

How has the Megamoto been received by the bike going public?
    thegunguy

You know I have no idea, no one has expressed an opinion on it to me, but as you can see from the Rock Store pix there is almost every kind of bike there from Harley hogs to vintage steeds to $45,000 Ducati race replicas, so I think folks there just like bikes, any bikes, all bikes!

Funnily enough I actually passed two others this weekend, much to my surprise since there are only 106 of them in the US. I guess folks who like BMW's and know what it is also know that it just won Pikes Peak again last week, so I think they'll be liking it.

Greg Tracy blasted up the 2009 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb to take the win in the 1200cc class onboard his Touratech equipped BMW HP2. Greg handily beat the competition covering the 12.42 mile course in 12:29 with an average speed of 59.7 MPH.

Check this out for a good idea of what it can do in the hands of those more capable, younger and braver than I!
    Andrew Macpherson

Your comment about the age of the riders is interesting. As a car collector and car show type, I have noticed that the age of the average buyer is getting older which says a lot for the economic outlook for our kids.

The luxuries in life are a bit out of reach for many of the "younger" folks.

IMO anyway.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black

Also says a lot about the scope of future possible values too. It was for exactly that reason that I recently sold off all my old live steam locomotives. I realized that the market for them is shrinking every year, there aren't that many folks left who actually remember steam trains in their youth anymore, and only the ones who do really care about them enough to collect them. Oddly enough it was the cash from that sale that I put into my motorcycle, and so it is funny to see that all the guys into those are my age and older too!

Since the big show at Palm Springs with all the vintage war birds and classic cars I've been wondering if the era of 'machinists', those of us who love the firebreathing beasts of old, be they of the rail, air, sea or road, is drawing to an end. I can't see a generation who have no connection to WW2 wanting to keep all those warbirds in the air, or today's kids wanting to see the vintage races at Monterey. It would be interesting to hear what the word is on the car show circuit you visit.

As an after thought I also can't see the Prius or the Fisker being any more collectable than an old computer or microwave, and that goes for all the mod cons of the new era of electricity that is dawning on us. What will the kids of tomorrow love, treasure and collect? Classic mountain bikes & skateboards?
    Andrew Macpherson

Old computer game consoles! "Antique" cell phones?

I was thinking the exact same. I don't see that it has much to do with anything economically related. Rather, it's just age segmentation. Younger people don't have the emotional connection to most of the cars that are "collectible", whereas older generations do. As such, it's natural for the buyers to be older and aging...
    thegunguy

"I realized that the market for them is shrinking every year, there aren't that many folks left who actually remember steam trains in their youth anymore, and only the ones who do really care about them enough to collect them".

A while back, a Woody collector said the same thing. The Woody generation is dying off and no one is replacing them.
    Scott Pettit
    Silver / Black